I think I know what Apple will do when they announce their TV's

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'll only reply to this point, but suffice to say I agree with everything you said in that last comment. When I was thinking they might big-up the remote for the TV, I only meant by a little bit, and I certainly didn't mean I thought they'd add a screen to the remote. As you were saying, and I said before that's what the gorgeous screen is for. Core Ani. OS X etc.

Aha but wait a minute. DVD Audio employed the same theory "Hey, we'll just put a bunch of information up on the TV when the music is playing" but later consumers found out they were a bit miffed that they had to turn on their TV to get more information. Apple need to employ more "Green" thinking here by allowing different power modes.

1. Full on TV and Computing

2. Just TV

3. Just computing (thus you could listen to music with everything on the TV off but the audio outputs.
  • Reply 22 of 79
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

People who mention DVR as a feature or an option are missing the point. When you sign up for iTunes TV you'll be able to view any TV show on the fly, you'll never need to record a TV show ever again. In fact, you can go back to old shows, or the last season (that you never recorded) and watch those instantly too, streaming from the iTunes TV servers over the internet. That's the power of iPTV above terrestrial TV and TiVO. In theory it's like having a radio and having a different frequency for every radio show ever made.

Of course there will be limitations, there'll probably be a "Starter Pack", a "Pro Pack" and an "All you can eat Pack".

What about the bandwidth usage? We are beginning to hear complaints from the ISPs about the increase in bandwidth (think BBC and the iPlayer). And if they go the way of Australia (paying by the GB) then your proposed user will have to pay more for less. The supporting infrastructure isn't there for this model to work anytime soon.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I was being sarcastic. I don't think either of those things is terribly likely in the near future.

But not off the mark. I think both of these will happen before Irelands' TV.
  • Reply 24 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

What about the bandwidth usage? We are beginning to hear complaints from the ISPs about the increase in bandwidth (think BBC and the iPlayer). And if they go the way of Australia (paying by the GB) then your proposed user will have to pay more for less. The supporting infrastructure isn't there for this model to work anytime soon.

Apple will eventually be rolling out the successor to h.265 which goes by the totally unforseen name of ....h.265. There could be as much as a 50% reduction in bandwidth requirements for a given quality. The key is to meet the increasing broadband speeds with more and more efficient codecs.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

To me current televisions are where cell phones were prior to the iPhone. Very one dimensional. I think Apple can and will blow that industry up too.

What is wrong with the current TVs? What are the current manufactures doing wrong that Apple can do better?
  • Reply 26 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Apple will eventually be rolling out the successor to h.265 which goes by the totally unforseen name of ....h.265. There could be as much as a 50% reduction in bandwidth requirements for a given quality. The key is to meet the increasing broadband speeds with more and more efficient codecs.

My comment wasn't about the speed, it was about the quantity. The British ISPs are complaining about the amount of BBC data going across their systems now and want the Beep to pay for it. Will Apple pay for the extra bandwidth needed for us to ditch our cable/satellite systems for this internet solution? I don't think so.
  • Reply 27 of 79
    Quote:

My comment wasn't about the speed, it was about the quantity. The British ISPs are complaining about the amount of BBC data going across their systems now and want the Beep to pay for it. Will Apple pay for the extra bandwidth needed for us to ditch our cable/satellite systems for this internet solution? I don't think so.

I know hence the h.265 reference. Reducing the amount of data flowing over the Internet with a negliglble quality hit is where we need to be looking.
  • Reply 28 of 79
    Quote:

What is wrong with the current TVs? What are the current manufactures doing wrong that Apple can do better?

I mentioned earlier that it will streamline the content from your iTunes library to your TV without the need of an AppleTV. No point in that if Apple can include the technology with their televisions, which most people are anticipating.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

The tablet will happen in 2009, possibly Macworld.

Haven't you been pretty sure a tablet and Apple branded TV are imminent for, like, the last couple of years?

Seems like I remember you confidently predicting an Apple TV for Macworld '07.
  • Reply 30 of 79
    walter slocombewalter slocombe Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Haven't you been pretty sure a tablet and Apple branded TV are imminent for, like, the last couple of years?

He IS the new Rolo
  • Reply 31 of 79
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    I'm already using an iMac 24" as our main TV in the house. I don't want or need another display so thing the Apple Television would be a great idea.

The Apple Televison would be about bringing the digital hub (remember that?) into the family space. iChat AV for the family in the sitting room not the bedroom, spending money on iTS from the sofa not the study, et cetra.
  • Reply 32 of 79
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Well its more than just the TV or display itself. All TV offers is display content. It does nothing else. All added functionality comes from the cable provider and they do a shitty job.

Example: I have HDTV cable box that allows me to get a whopping TEN HD channels and DVR functionality. The set top box is a Motorola box called 'Moxie'. The UI is actually nice. But the box itself has crapped out once requiring replacement and currently isn't functioning properly and I suspect it will need replacement. The unit runs very warm and the fans are on constantly. That's why I suspect that it is a HW failure. Overall the experience is underwhelming. The lack of HD channels isn't the TV's fault or the Moxie HW's fault but still the overall experience is again underwhelming.

What could Apple do? How about integrating computer functionality into the TV. If a add comes up with a web address wouldn't it be nice to open a window with your browser so that you could visit the website? How about voting on American Idol? Most large HDTVs could easily handle two windows like that. It would be even cooler if I could click on a link on my TV and open a window with a browser. Talk about a smart data detector. Apple could make TV more interactive. Think Web 2.0 on steroids.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    It looks to me like all of you talking about an Apple branded HDTV are really asking for a really really big iMac at HDTV prices. I think you've got a lot of disappointing Tuesday mornings and keynotes ahead.
  • Reply 34 of 79
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

It looks to me like all of you talking about an Apple branded HDTV are really asking for a really really big iMac at HDTV prices. I think you've got a lot of disappointing Tuesday mornings and keynotes ahead.

Probably. But one can hope.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    Quote:

Not really. I'm not expecting a full on computer. But I certainly wouldn't complain if we got a bit close.

We could be waiting for Apple in perpetuity but if they do deliver such a product it'll only be an improvement towards what people are already doing. TVs and Computer are merging together whether Apple wants to take a stab at it or not. In fact I'm likely going to bypass buying a computer LCD for my Mac mini and I'll just grab a 26" HDTV. The benefits are clear...I get a decent screen...large size...HDTV tuner etc. It makes sense.

So basically if Apple doesn't create one..we'll do it ourselves and that means the Mac mini will go on making just enough sales to warrant its survival whilst Apple keeps foisting the excellent ,but not always appropriate ,iMac at us.
  • Reply 36 of 79
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Check your facts. I predicted it then, but gave a date well in the future. I can't help myself if I happen to naturally think a few moves ahead of you, sorry. Sorry for apologizing too, as that's going to encourage a response to this particular post I don't really need.
  • Reply 37 of 79
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    I don't think apple will ever make a TV. And as a stockholder, I wouldn't want to see them wasting their time getting into that market. I think they're floundering in the monitor market.

Quote:

Mini tower is not going to happen, sorry to disappoint you. If anything they'll spruce up the mini a bit, but that's be about it. If you want a Tower get a Mac Pro (they'll say), and it you cannot afford one get an iMac.

I'm sure you'll be right...just like the people who said apple would never make a phone, an mp3 player, an ultraportable, a cheap headless desktop...
  • Reply 38 of 79
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    I'm with Guartho. It sounds a lot like an iMac. Enough that I wouldn't bother with an "IrelandTV" and would rather just have either an iMac with a larger screen or a mini or current aTV with my own HDTV.

Adding a 50" iMac based on a HDTV panel seems better for Apple given that it would be far more capable than the best Sony Bravia that has teeny embedded Linux box inside and an optional iPod dock (TDM-IP1...which is so-so).
  • Reply 39 of 79
    Quote:

Go easy with those sweeping generalizations. I personally never mentioned a thing about a web browser. In that regard Apple gets what Sony doesn't with their PS3 (it doesn't need a browser). As for the TV Plasma technology won't be the only difference. The TV won't run the full version of OS X. And won't need quite the horsepower of big iMac. For my vision of what this TV will be like, comparing it to an iMac is worse than comparing Apple TV box to the Mac mini. They will "completely" different animals.
  • Reply 40 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I'm sure you'll be right...just like the people who said apple would never make a phone, an mp3 player, an ultraportable...

Comparing any of those to a headless desktop is kind of missing the way Apple thinks in my opinion. I was one of the folks who said they'd do a tablet, but not before they do their ultraportable. And I was also one of the ones here who said that they were not only going to make a phone, but that they "have too" for their own sakes.

No, having thought about it long and hard I just don't see them making this so-called headless Mac. Steve doesn't think like that, in rightly so in this regard. I'm a shareholder too!