After the new iMac, Where is the new Mini?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple quietly bumped the iMac today, and quietly left the Mini to lounge at 2GHz ...

Anyone have any idea when we might expect a little bump for this aging machine? Not at the WMDC I would have thought, as they have better things to announce. Perhaps in a few weeks, while the press is quiet?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 95
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markroder View Post

Apple quietly bumped the iMac today, and quietly left the Mini to lounge at 2GHz ...

Anyone have any idea when we might expect a little bump for this aging machine? Not at the WMDC I would have thought, as they have better things to announce. Perhaps in a few weeks, while the press is quiet?

They'd be better off waiting until June and shipping a Montinva based mini with x4500 integrated graphics.
  • Reply 2 of 95
    why can't intel have some side port ram on there on board chipset like amd / ati can use?
  • Reply 3 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

They'd be better off waiting until June and shipping a Montinva based mini with x4500 integrated graphics.

The new iMacs are based on Montinva (see here) .. Apple has a special deal with Intel to release them early. Perhaps this does not include the version with the integrated GPU? So again, when will they do the same for the Mini?

• Reply 4 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markroder View Post

The new iMacs are based on Montinva (see here) .. Apple has a special deal with Intel to release them early. Perhaps this does not include the version with the integrated GPU? So again, when will they do the same for the Mini?

That's still up for discussion

http://www.electronista.com/articles...c.cpu.origins/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electronista

The 3.06GHz processor and fellow chips in Apple's new iMacs are part of a special run of Intel's existing technology rather than an early introduction of Centrino 2 technology, Intel has confirmed with Electronista. Although the processors match the same core clock rates and 1,066MHz system bus speeds as those for the upcoming platform, the processors are now known to be unlisted speed grades that include special support for the faster bus speeds (up from 800MHz).

Bummer
  • Reply 5 of 95
    Has Apple still managed to release something new every Tuesday so far this year?

If so (or even close) its about the only thing giving me hope for a Mini refresh next tuesday its not looking good.

I just hope they don't EOL the damned thing, I REALLY want one so a little warning that its going EOL would mean I'd order one right away, but if its gonna get a speed bump then I might as well wait. My Core (not 2) Duo is really holding me back at the moment. I've decided an iMac is out until its quad core, so it really is getting very hard to NOT buy a new Mini.

DAMN Apple and their damned secrecy !

I've tried sitting on ebay for a second hand one, but the prices are ridiculous for a second hand machine, one might as well buy new at least you get the warranty!

If the base model had the super drive for the same money, I wouldn't be posting this, I'd be ordering right now!
  • Reply 6 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

That's still up for discussion

http://www.electronista.com/articles...c.cpu.origins/

Bummer

Ah yes, my chaps think so too ..

(see here)
  • Reply 7 of 95
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    I don't think a question of if, but when Apple updates the Mini.

If Apple 86'd it, it would leave a massive hole in their lineup, and without a sub $1000 PC, I don't see how Apple could convince the people that are used to buying the low-end OEM PCs to switch/add a Mac as a 2nd PC type deal - PC prices are falling all the time.

Additionally, the Mini is the cheapest headless Mac - the iMac doesn't cut it for some (like myself), as I don't need an AIO, nor do I particularly care for them.

If nothing else, the Mini desperately needs updated graphics, and 4 GB RAM support. 802.11n and a bigger HD wouldn't hurt either.
  • Reply 8 of 95
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Personally, I think the Mini is going to get a major redesign which will end up making it even smaller. Think MacBook Air without monitor or keyboard.

Remember, Apple prefers high style, must have, high margin type products not low margin inexpensive products.

-kpluck
  • Reply 9 of 95
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Personally, I think the Mini is going to get a major redesign which will end up making it even smaller. Think MacBook Air without monitor or keyboard.

Remember, Apple prefers high style, must have, high margin type products not low margin inexpensive products.

-KeithP

I've heard this rumour too. It would be good if new Mac Mini could be as slim if not slimmer than time capsule/ air port etc. It would also make a lot of sense for Apple to wait a bit and include Montevina with an improved GPU.

It may be that Apple updates its standalone LED screen offerings to coincide with Mac-Mini refresh. Whatever happens, it is getting harder and harder to fault Apple's line-up.
  • Reply 10 of 95
    With the mini, as with all things at Apple, it's all about the big picture. When the mini first came out, it was less about small-form-factor computing and more about addressing (shutting up) the long-standing criticisms that Apple's systems were all too expensive. After the mini came out, those criticisms largely subsided, but, like the Cube before it, sales of the mini never really took off. (Why is a whole other debate - methinks SJ himself did in the Cube by not releasing the Radeon card up-front when attention on the Cube was at its peak.)

Apple hasn't paid much attention to the mini since then because, until now, they haven't needed to. The Intel transition has been an overwhelming success, market share has doubled, notebook sales have been outstanding, and most professionals either save on the all-in-one iMac or splurge on the Mac Pro. Factor in a stable, if not prosperous, semi affluent consumer, and until recently, there hasn't been much of a need for the mini.

Now, of course, things are different. The mortgage mess turned housing slump, that little 700-point hiccup in the markets last quarter, and record gas and food and consumables prices means that everybody's tightening their belts, not splurging, not spending on items preceived to be expensive or a luxury item. The mini was *made* for this kind of market. I just hope the new ones will have dual-link support, as I'd really love to hook up the 30-incher...
  • Reply 11 of 95
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

If nothing else, the Mini desperately needs updated graphics, and 4 GB RAM support. 802.11n and a bigger HD wouldn't hurt either.

Well said. Such upgrades might placate a few of the folks who keep crying out for a mid-range tower. With the iMacs inexorably wed to a glossy screen, there is little in between the Mini and the Mac Pro that makes sense for someone who wants a different type of screen without paying an arm and a leg. Come on, Apple. Be there with a kick derriere Mini in June.
  • Reply 12 of 95
    duzledwarfduzledwarf Posts: 72member
    I'm expecting Apple to release a completely redesigned Mac mini before the next school year starts. I think it will borrow it's design cues from the Macbook Air's optional Super Drive and just be little bit thicker to fit in all the internal components and ports. Just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 13 of 95
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Hopefully gone. The mini as it currently exists serves no meaningful purpose. With the 2.5" hard drive, the specs are down right insulting to any potential switcher and the lack of a keyboard and mouse set doesn't help the deal either. Better to just replace it with a 2ghz GMA iMac.
  • Reply 14 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Hopefully gone. The mini as it currently exists serves no meaningful purpose. With the 2.5" hard drive, the specs are down right insulting to any potential switcher and the lack of a keyboard and mouse set doesn't help the deal either. Better to just replace it with a 2ghz GMA iMac.

And force me to buy a screen I don't need? Adding a KB/Mouse was the easiest thing I had to do. Both of'em cost me $35.

Those that tend the bash the mini are the ones that don't own them. I have not regretted my decision to buy a Mini. I almost bought and iMac but at the time all I would have been able to afford would have been a 17" model. Now I'm in the market for an LCD and I'm looking at 22" and 24" models. There "is" something to be said for choice. I don't game so GMA graphics haven't hurt me at all.
  • Reply 15 of 95
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Why would you want Apple to do away with their only consumer-level headless option? I don't get where this kind of attitude comes from. Most computer buyers don't want iMacs. Not because they're iMacs per se, but because they are desktop all-in-ones.

Mac fans think Apple is justified in their current line-up because Apple's market share has doubled, but let's look at Dell's or HP's market share. Apple is living off their scraps. If Apple wants to take a serious shot at some real market share, they need to get off their high horses and produce the freakin' mid-range tower that demonstrably most PC buyers want. This is the time for it right now. Apple has never been the focus of so much positive attention, but they lack the thing that so many potential switchers want (and no, the $3000+ Mac Pro ain't it.)

The iMacs are great machines, always have been. I own and still use to this day my G4 iLamp. But the all-in-one desktops are just too different from what the majority of the PC buying world out there wants. People want the CPU and monitor to be separate when they buy a desktop machine. That's simply what people are accustomed to, and no matter how compelling the iMac gets, it's never going to siphon off a significant number of PC users because it's just too different--at least when it comes to desktops. Apple's laptop line is doing better than the desktops. Why? People can relate to it. It's not too different from what they're used to as far as PC laptops.

And the Mini is just a perpetual slap-in-the-face. It might be taken a little more seriously if Apple would update the thing a little more frequently than once a year and would actually give it some respectable specs when they do update it instead of hobbling it with leftovers from two years ago.
  • Reply 16 of 95
    tubgirltubgirl Posts: 177member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Why would you want Apple to do away with their only consumer-level headless option?

simply put; to make way for a better 'lo-fi' mac desktop.
  • Reply 17 of 95
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tubgirl View Post

simply put; to make way for a better 'lo-fi' mac desktop.

Believe me, I'm all for that. If discontinuing the Mini means a better replacement for it, bring it the @#$%* on already Apple.

But it sounded like the post I was responding to was trying to shoehorn everyone into the iMacs which, as good as they are, most people simply do not want.
  • Reply 18 of 95
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:

While I agree that the mini has become a boat anchor, I think the solution is to replace it with a headless machine built with desktop parts - an imac wouldn't really replace it.
  • Reply 19 of 95
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Why would you want Apple to do away with their only consumer-level headless option? I don't get where this kind of attitude comes from. Most computer buyers don't want iMacs. Not because they're iMacs per se, but because they are desktop all-in-ones.

Because he can't get a mid-tower so he want's to rain on other folks' parade. I like the mini and I'm waiting for the refresh to get one.

The mini answers 80% of the needs for a headless iMac. He wants it dead so there's no solution at all in order to force the creation of a mid-tower.
  • Reply 20 of 95
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

The mini answers 80% of the needs for a headless iMac.

Wow, there's a number seemingly pulled out of thin air. I think the mini answers very little of that need, plus its design makes it impossible for it to compete on price versus performance. Even people who don't need a mini tower would be better off with one over a mini just because it would either be cheaper or have better specs.