Flash Wars: Adobe in the History and Future of Flash [Part 1 of 3]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dabrace1984 View Post

I loved FlashPaper. Macromedia Studio 8 included it as an extra or Contribute. It is a great concept. Allow developers to embed a document formatted in Flash. You can embed a PDF file but it just doesn't look as good.

With Studio 8 came FlashPaper where in MS Office you had an additional toolbar for it. It allows you to export your documents as PDF or SWF. For a Flash-based project I'm working on we has to embed documentation in it. Thinking how could we do this there was talk of using XML, importing it then positioning text and images.. etc. Talk about what would have been a headache. Using FlashPaper we were able to export a SWF of our documents. Load that SWF and it displayed perfectly, just as the original. Not to mention it also offered zooming, searching, and printing capabilities.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    I agree with almost everything said here. Flash is ubiquitous and convenient but often also annoying and a cause for hangs or processor spikes.

The best way to browse the Web is therefore to use a flashblocker (Camino has one build-in). Some sites require a few additional clicks to get to the desired content but on most sites it just cuts down on distracting animation (and ads).
  • Reply 23 of 70
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It would be nice if QT were the platform of choice by google for sure.

There's no QT for linux though is there? There is Flash though. Also what about stuff like the Wii, the PS3 etc, you can't "install" QT on them, but they come with Flash because Flash is a "standard" for web browsing.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It would be nice if QT were the platform of choice by google for sure.

Well it is for iPhone users. 80% of moble Google searches are made by iPhone.

I think web designers should use more CSS than Flash for website design. Flash is cool and all but for SEO it's no where to be found. Displaying video and audio content via Quicktime is a much better approach.

Well see how far the iPhone pushes designers. I think it's a huge market that can not be dismissed. Almost all of my client request that their sites be compatable with iPhone. That means no Flash. I hope Apple keeps it that way.

Ed
  • Reply 25 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

There's no QT for linux though is there? There is Flash though. Also what about stuff like the Wii, the PS3 etc, you can't "install" QT on them, but they come with Flash because Flash is a "standard" for web browsing.

The Wii has only Flash Player 7. Try viewing a new modern Flash 9 site. so much for "standard".

Ed
  • Reply 26 of 70
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 27 of 70
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    People who criticize Flash almost always ignore the fact that Flash is a totally integrated programming environment with virtually no limitations. Actionscript 3 is sort of like having php built into a graphics animation package. With all that power, of course it is going to be a bit bloated, but the swfs are remarkably small for what they can do.

Maybe it doesn't belong on an iPhone but I have say that I find it quite useful and will continue to develop with it until something better comes along.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    Null.
  • Reply 29 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Javascript and GIFs don't send your CPU utilization to 100%.

Javascript and GIFs aren't huge memory hogs.

Javascript and GIFs work perfectly well on slower machines.

HA HA HA HA! That's funny. Flash may be widely supported, but it is unstable, bloated, a memory and CPU pig. It's horribly inefficient. Safe for the end user huh? Like keeping a private history that isn't cleared when you remove your history or empty your cache?

That's all bad implementation. It has nothing to do with Flash itself. That's like saying you don't like hamburgers cause McDonalds gives you a tummy ache.

If anything, you hate all the idiots that develop with it. Which I agree with.
  • Reply 30 of 70
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

No, users who don't have a vested interest in Flash like you apparently do pay more attention to the fact that it's bloated, a memory hog, usually gets my Macbook's fan spinning fairly quickly and is just downright annoying.

Sebastian

You should probably turn off Flash and enjoy what's left of the internet.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    Null.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    Looks like you guys are turning around which is a good sign. I usually think these three part articles are kinda hokey but I'm looking forward to finishing it.

I have no idea what to predict on this one. Flash is a powerhouse environment but it is also a hog. Hopefully in the next couple years html5 css3 and advanced javascripting like jQuery or mootools will take the place of flash, but we'll have to see. Although by that time (especially if Intel can deliver 80 core processors) Flash may not be that big of a memory hog in comparison.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by commenter View Post

I'm not sure if you will have heard of it but there's a small site called YouTube that uses Flash quite sucessfully

He wrote "sites" youtube is just one. Now can I have a new Cinema Display?

I watch a tiny, shitty little video on my 2.16 Ghz MBP and my CPU goes balistic and my lap gets hot!

Now... How can flash move us past a 2" low res video??? I would never run that on a mobile. We're supposed to

be advancing to High Def. I have no idea what the solution is, I'll leave that to others, but Flash is not it.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Now can I have a new Cinema Display?

With IR receiver, 2.1MP iSight camera and DisplayPort.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

Actually, not everyone has flash. It's not "pretty much everyone."

-=|Mgkwho

95% of all browsers is Pretty Much Everyone!
  • Reply 36 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

95% of all browsers is Pretty Much Everyone!

95%? Maybe for Flash Player 7. I went to an interview in NYC and was excited to show my "modern" Flash 9 portfolio. It did not go as well as I had planned. The company was still using Flash Player 8. something. I had to pull out my laptop to show them my portfolio.

Ed
  • Reply 37 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HVMediaSolutions View Post

95%? Maybe for Flash Player 7. I went to an interview in NYC and was excited to show my "modern" Flash 9 portfolio. It did not go as well as I had planned. The company was still using Flash Player 8. something. I had to pull out my laptop to show them my portfolio.

Ed

If you had done your embed code correctly, it would have automatically updated the plug-in. At least it would have prompted you to do so.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    kastheadkasthead Posts: 2member
    It'll be interesting to see when Jobs buys Adobe, whether he kills Flash over time or tweaks it.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasthead View Post

It'll be interesting to see when Jobs buys Adobe, whether he kills Flash over time or tweaks it.

You think Apple will buy Adobe? I don't think so. Their market value is $22.1B according to NASDAQ.com. But most importantly, Cringely thinks it's going to happen.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

If you had done your embed code correctly, it would have automatically updated the plug-in. At least it would have prompted you to do so.

Actually I did, the company chose not to for what ever reason. I did not, however, design a non-Flash player version. Did not think I had too. I was applying for a Flash job!

Point that I was making is Adobe's figures are skewed. Most people think that when Adobe states that 95% of the users have Flash Player installed on their browser, their assumption is that it is Flash Player 9 dot something. Not true.

Another point to be taken, Apple has a much better software update for Quicktime than Adobe does for Flash Player.

Ed