Apple lays off 15% of workforce at California location

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_9121054

That's really sad. I'm sure some will be able to make the move or find more work; it's unfortunate Apple is developing into a company with such little regard for its employees.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    It's business.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DigitalChan View Post

That's really sad. I'm sure some will be able to make the move or find more work; it's unfortunate Apple is developing into a company with such little regard for its employees.

Are you serious? Hamstring Apple's ability to hire and fire when necessary and you'll really see the stock get hammered.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    stubeckstubeck Posts: 140member
    Quote:

They aren't developing into anything. They're a business and would rather cut a few jobs then go completely out of business.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StuBeck View Post

They aren't developing into anything. They're a business and would rather cut a few jobs then go completely out of business.

But they seem to be doing well... Why treat the workers with so little respect?

The more Apple grows up the more I see it being "same old, same old"... Better make King Steve happy.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    are they being transfered to texas???
  • Reply 6 of 41
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:

ELK GROVE, Calif.—Apple Inc. is eliminating 174 sales and support jobs at its Elk Grove facility and transferring the work to a site in Austin, Texas.

In a letter to state officials, Apple says the laid off workers will be given opportunities to relocate or apply for another Apple job in Elk Grove.

Apple employs more than 1,100 workers in Elk Grove.

So here we have ONE Apple location laying off service and support people. Except of course...they are not laying off anyone. They are allowing them to transfer. 174 people. Dude, really...take a pill.

You've overstated the issue in this thread by claiming "Apple is laying off 15% of it's workforce at CA location." Yes, it's technically true....sort of. But it's 174 people. To take that number and extrapolate that Apple doesn't care about it's employees is absurd.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Check his sig... methinks that (if indeed the sig has any truth to it, and god only knows with this guy) he's just a bitter troll that yearns for the days of 512kB, when Pascal roamed free. The Amazing Kreskin sez: Expect more of the same bile based in little to no reality.

I think we need a sticky tutorial on how to use the ignore list in cases like this.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:

But they seem to be doing well... Why treat the workers with so little respect?

The more Apple grows up the more I see it being "same old, same old"... Better make King Steve happy.

How does firing someone show disrespect? Its a business, if people need to be fired, for whatever reason, its a business decision and doesn't show any lack of respect, but a need to survive.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Well... In Elk Grove, Apple is the leading employer according to reports.

So by relocating/laying off 15% of the workforce there will be a STAGGERING effect.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Well... In Elk Grove, Apple is the leading employer according to reports.

So by relocating/laying off 15% of the workforce there will be a STAGGERING effect.

Basic math and logic lesson:

15% of *Apple's* workforce at that office = 174 individuals.

Population of Elk Grove, CA: 136,318.

Wow, that's going to gut the whole economy there.

Think before posting. Really.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Think before posting. Really.

He is.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    That's 174 Families... seriously people. Find a heart. STAGGERING effects for each and every one of those hard working americans.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Quote:

That's 174 Families... seriously people. Find a heart. STAGGERING effects for each and every one of those hard working americans.

If they weren't American's would it not matter? Losing a job is not the worst thing to ever happen to people. They will be able to find new jobs, Apple most likely gave them generous compensation packages (like most companies) and has given them relevant skills while working there. Its not staggering, and you don't know that they all have families either.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    This is one of the weirdest threads ever, the way this guys talks. Think of the CHILDREN!

I've been downsized. And you know what? I don't blame my employer. It's a business decision and if I needed to I would have fired myself. It's a business.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

This is one of the weirdest threads ever, the way this guys talks. Think of the CHILDREN!

I've been downsized. And you know what? I don't blame my employer. It's a business decision and if I needed to I would have fired myself. It's a business.

We need HOPE and CHANGE for these layed off employees... not just more of the same.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Quote:

We need HOPE and CHANGE for these layed off employees... not just more of the same.

Which was an option given by apple. They can move to Texas if they want. They can transfer to another local position if they qualify.

Please tell me Microsoft or Dell made such offers to the last batches of employees they laid off.

Apple was more than fair.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Quote:

Are you some sort of farce?

Wow... I am tempted to drop kick you into my ignore list and that... well... that doesn't happen very often... i normally give people the benefit of doubt. but there is no doubt here that you are a trolling moron...

In other words, welcome to my ignore list...
  • Reply 18 of 41
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    He will be joining my ignore list as well. Make sure you unsubscribe from the forum or mailings including of posts by the ignored one will arrive in your mailbox.

Business 101.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

Are you some sort of farce?

Actually I do think he's being sarcastic in this thread. Kind of a poor attempt at British humour? Imagine Ricky Gervais from the Office making this argument and you'll see what I'm getting at...
  • Reply 20 of 41
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

I hear it's call CHOPE