2nd Gen iPhone features - Apple Support Confirmation

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Received this message from a good friend:

Quote:

What's up, David?

Like you know, I've been having a lot of trouble with my 8GB iPhone lately. Several features simply aren't working, and the battery is messed up. I had tried all the hard and soft resets that Apple suggested, but it still didn't help.

So, I called Apple support a few days ago to see about getting it replaced (I've had it replaced once before 'cause parts were falling off). The support rep I was talking to was really friendly, and as we were trying to figure out the nearest Apple store I asked him if I should try to talk them into replacing it with a newer 16GB model. The rep told me that I should definitely try - no pain, no gain - because they are really good about making customers happy. This, especially considering that I paid the full $600 when I first bought it.

I then asked, "I know that you can't officially speculate on future products, but everyone is expecting a second generation iPhone with 3G in the June timeframe. If you were me, would you make do without a camera for a month or so and try to get it replaced with a new model instead?" The rep said, "Yes, I would definitely wait to see if any new versions come out."

That excited me quite a bit. However, 3G isn't such a big deal for me - you know where I live - and I wanted to know whether there would be newer features on the 2 Gen iPhone besides just 3G internet. So I asked him, "I don't have much 3G coverage in my area, so I don't really care that much about THAT alone - should I go ahead now or should I wait until mid-to-late June?" He said, "I'm not you, but if I were you I would definitely wait until June ... mid-June ... to see what new features might come available in the iPhone line." Sounds cool, huh?

Definitely no reason for the Apple Support Rep to mislead my friend here, and if it was just 3G there wouldn't be any reason to encourage him to wait (especially since they are trying to get rid of their old iPhone stock) so I'm guessing that the upcoming 3G iPhone WILL have much more than just 3G. Thinner? More flash memory? Front-facing camera for video chat? Far better batteries? Better resolution main camera for video recording?

How about tactile screen response and robust bluetooth for wireless syncing? Or, even better still, screen-integrated camera to improve multitouch and provide MAJOR video chatting capability?

Disc use is yet another thing that iPhone 2 might incorporate to make it even more useful. With potentially 32GB of space, you can afford to use it for mobile storage.

Obviously they won't have all these things in the iPhone 2, but we can always hope for a few things besides GPS and 3G.

GPS and 3G aside, which of the following would make you the most likely to eBay your old iPhone and buy a new one (or adopt for the first time)?
  • Bluetooth/WIFI synching

• Tactile screen response

• Front-facing camera

• Higher resolution main camera

• Larger memory capacity

• Faster processor

• Disc use with PCs or Macs (flash drive style)

Enjoy!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Apple support reps don't have inside info on Apple's upcoming products.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Apple support reps don't have inside info on Apple's upcoming products.

Based on what?

Not that I think you're making it up - it just doesn't seem logical. I doubt they'd wait until AFTER the release to start training tech support. When something's a month out it's reasonable that the tech people would be able to advise ever so gently....
  • Reply 3 of 4
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    I have contacted Apple Care the very day products were released (apps) and they had no clue that they were Apple products or I had more info from reading AI.

I have also asked my local Apple regional rep about a new product or two in the past on the day of their release and he has always responded: let me get back to you; I just found out about it last night myself. Ditto when I called the Apple store.

Quite simply, Apple tends to keep things very tightly under wraps until the very last minute.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleeinstein View Post

Based on what?

Not that I think you're making it up - it just doesn't seem logical. I doubt they'd wait until AFTER the release to start training tech support. When something's a month out it's reasonable that the tech people would be able to advise ever so gently....

They don't tell anyone anything, dude.

If anyone remembers how Apple blacked out the windows of their stores for several hours on iPhone release day - what happened inside? They rearranged the product locations, laid out the phone accessories and squeezed in about thirty minutes to train the entire staff and let them actually see the product that had been on the premises for at least 24 hours.

New product information is seriously need-to-know and retail and support channels typically learn of announcements/see new things at the same time as the public. The iPhone release was something new altogether, what with the way it was unveiled, but even the retail force and face of the company that's supposed to (literally) guide your hand with this crazy new phone got no more than an hour's advance on the public.