Cheaper Desktop

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I think apple would be able to penetrate better if they made a desktop PC for less than $2000...

Like Dell has $500 computers. Granted those are pretty cheap, but it's pretty easy to make a good computer for $1500. Why is it the only thing from Mac with desktop parts(the cheaper ones) is also the most expensive?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DigitalChan View Post

I think apple would be able to penetrate better if they made a desktop PC for less than $2000...

Like Dell has $500 computers. Granted those are pretty cheap, but it's pretty easy to make a good computer for $1500. Why is it the only thing from Mac with desktop parts(the cheaper ones) is also the most expensive?

Remember that old show called "In Search Of..." with Leonard Nimoy where he would go out and explore mysterious things, strange happenings and unexplained phenomenon?

He could do a whole freakin' series on why Apple hasn't yet put out exactly what you're describing. If you had asked me in 2005, I would have said the Mini was the precursor and we'd be seeing a consumer-level tower no later than late 2006. Apple has so much positive attention right now from so many people wanting to switch from Windows to OS X and they don't even have the machine most of those people would most immediately relate to.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Wow, DC, you're hitting all the troll highpoints in one day... pace yourself man, you don't want to blow your wad all at once.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Can't believe i'm biting on this...

The point is Apple don't use desktop parts. They use laptop parts in the Mini and iMac and workstation parts in the Mac Pro.

Whilst many of us would love a mid-range tower Mac Apple (under Steve Jobs) clearly has no interest in producing one.

That said, if you spec out a (single) quad-core Mac Pro it's only $100 + display more than the top end iMac.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

That said, if you spec out a (single) quad-core Mac Pro it's only $100 + display more than the top end iMac.

That's a joke, right?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Can't believe i'm biting on this...

with a slower and weaker video card and less ram that costs alot more. At lest you can use a better screen then low end one build in to the imac.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

That's a joke, right?

A Mac Pro with one quad-core processor costs $2,299.00 and the top end iMac is $2,199.00.... that's a $100 difference, is it not? ...

-----

I would love it if Apple made two new computers with desktop parts, starting at $400-600 and $1,000.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobertoq View Post

A Mac Pro with one quad-core processor costs $2,299.00 and the top end iMac is $2,199.00.... that's a $100 difference, is it not? ...

-----

I would love it if Apple made two new computers with desktop parts, starting at $400-600 and $1,000.

Not quite. From your starting point of $100 difference (plus display cost), add $150 for the cost of comparable video card in the MacPro and then add another $200 to downgrade the iMac from the 3.06 GHZ CPU to the 2.8 GHZ CPU. That's a $450 difference plus the display cost.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobertoq View Post

That sound you just heard rushing past you...? You know what it was, right?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Hmm... I see it as the other way around. If Steve Jobs and Apple lived in a perfect world, there would be no such thing as a tower. They're totally against them. Apple is all about all-in-ones. The first mac was. Steve's iMac in 98 was and has been one since. The only reason Apple makes towers is because they haaave to, in order to compete (or should I say dominate) on the professional level. The mac mini? Well that thing isnt a tower in the first

place, and I'm still convinced that was a forced project by someone other than "el jobso". The mini is like the abandoned child of Apple that gets tossed a bone every once in a while to keep investors (or social services depending on how you look at it) quiet. Apples not gonna do a mini tower. Kind of a bummer, I know, but that's how I view it.

I mentioned like 6 months ago, that Apple should make a 17" iMac that started at like $799- followed with a huge marketing campaign. Entry level mac. I thought it was a good idea but a lot of people thought otherwise back in Dec.

...oh yeah, someone said a while back, "Apple will never regress and make a smaller screen!"... Blah blah blah. Two words for that, iPod nano. The nano's screen was and is way smaller than the classic. Apple wanted market share though. So, similar situation. Make a smaller computer, heck throw some jazzy colors on there too. Snag that middle ground. Or should I say "entry level"
  • Reply 10 of 11
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Wow, DC, you're hitting all the troll highpoints in one day... pace yourself man, you don't want to blow your wad all at once.

As long as the fish are biting, won't digging for new bait just take up good fishing time?

Someone should just write an Apple forum troll FAQ, to improve the quality of future trolls and force them to seek new material!

I compared mini to a Dell desktop playing 3D games, mini sucks so bad

I compared Mac Pro to a Dell desktop and it's so expensive, what are they smoking at Cupertino

could Apple perhaps maybe possibly make a midrange computer?

xMac wouldn't sell because Cube didn't

Steve knows what you want better than you do

I'm sick of all you whiners, why don't you just go on Windows forums

assorted Steve Jobs ad homs

*** CONFIRMED ***

MAC's are dead, Apple is all about the IPOD now

which does i buys imac 24 or mac pro fur skool

• Reply 11 of 11
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

Someone should just write an Apple forum troll FAQ, to improve the quality of future trolls and force them to seek new material!

What a nice way to start the day!