Vodafone inks deal with Apple to sell iPhone in ten countries

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Vodafone, the world's largest mobile phone company in dollar sales, announced Tuesday that it has reached an agreement with Apple to sell the iPhone in ten of its markets beginning sometime this year.

"Later this year, Vodafone customers in Australia, the Czech Republic, Egypt, Greece, Italy, India, Portugal, New Zealand, South Africa and Turkey will be able to purchase the iPhone for use on the Vodafone network," the carrier said in a statement without providing further detail.

Vodafone was at one time believed to be the frontrunner to secure an exclusive contract to sell the current version of the iPhone in the UK, but inevitably lost out to Telefonica's O2 back in September.

Upon last check, the Newbury, England-based firm had 252 million proportionate customers in 25 markets across 5 continents, making it the second largest wireless carrier worldwide in terms of subscribers, trailing only China Mobile.

Vodafone joins Rogers of Canada as the second carrier in as many weeks to announce a deal to usher the iconic touch-screen handset into new markets, presumably alongside the arrival of a 3G model that will operate on the carriers faster GSM-based networks.

Apple had previously stated that it planned to scale the iPhone to additional European countries and parts of Asia during the 2008 calendar year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Waiting to hear news about which Japanese carrier will get it, Docomo or SoftBank.

Please make it soon...
  • Reply 2 of 44
    something of an about-turn for vodafone. pity they didnt get it in the uk. i switched from them to o2 and havent been very impressed with o2s coverage in comparison
  • Reply 3 of 44
    And thus endeth the revenue sharing Apple was so insistent on?

Just wondering...
  • Reply 4 of 44
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KnightoftheWord View Post

And thus endeth the revenue sharing Apple was so insistent on?

Just wondering...

Wonder no more my friend. Funny how selling iPhones is more important now in Europe and the ME that it was inititally.

Smart move on their part.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    I wonder if Apple will abandon exclusive carrier agreements when the 3G iPhone is launched in the UK.I imagine that Vodafone is itching to claw back the customers it has lost to 02.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    n0b0dyn0b0dy Posts: 9member
    Well it looks like Vodafone is not the only one that gets to release the iPhone in Italy.

//Rob
  • Reply 7 of 44
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Waiting to hear news about which Japanese carrier will get it, Docomo or SoftBank.

Please make it soon...

KDDi is better and cheaper. I've used all of them and I'm sticking with KDDi/AU. Lots of my Japanese friends have switched too. I do like Docomo though. Softbank sucks bone. If Apple goes with SoftBank I'd laugh my Azz off.

But hey If the phone is unlocked it shouldn't matter right.

Japan needs more WiFi though.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    idaveczidavecz Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by N0B0DY View Post

Well it looks like Vodafone is not the only one that gets to release the iPhone in Italy.

//Rob

We have two carriers (T-Mobile, now Vodafone) for this year too in Czech Republic..
  • Reply 9 of 44
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by N0B0DY View Post

//Rob

Interesting. Looks like Apple's just signing contracts left right and centre.

I guess that 10 mil iPhones sold in 2008 will be easily met. Still not the 45mil as some analyst predicted, but with multiple vendors and a new no revenue sharing strategy, these phones will fly off the shelves.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple Inc. will apparently abandon its exclusive carrier model for iPhone sales alongside the release of a 3G model, as two Italian carriers have issued statements Tuesday claiming rights to distribute the iPhone later this year.

On the heels of an announcement by Vodafone in which the multi-national provider said it had reached an agreement to sell the iPhone in Italy and nine other countries later this year, Telecom Italia is claiming it will also soon offer the handset to its customers.

"Telecom Italia announces today that it has signed an agreement with Apple to bring the iPhone to Italy within the year," the carrier said in a one line statement.

The announcements appear to signal an end to the exclusive agreements forged ahead of the initial iPhone launch last year, which have thus far proven successful only in the United States.

Reports out of Europe have routinely suggested that sales of the inaugural Apple handset in the region have been lackluster for a variety of reasons, including a lack of 3G compatibility, steep pricing, and limited carrier options.

A recent report from the Spanish-language business paper Cinco Dias stated that the Cupertino-based handset maker was having doubts about its exclusive carrier model after witnessing poor sales in Europe and watching customers unlock the phones themselves for use on unsanctioned carriers.

The paper went on to cite sources close to ongoing negotiations as saying that Apple was mulling the prospect of selling the iPhone through multiple providers in Latin American nations. It added that discussions with Telefonica in Spain have been ongoing for months, and correctly predicted that Apple would use Italy as a testbed by offering the handset through more than just Telecom Italia.

Though neither of the announcements on Tuesday specifically mentioned a 3G version of the iPhone, the consensus amongst insiders, analysts, and pundits alike is that Apple has been aligning deals for expanded distribution ahead of the next-generation handset.

Back in February, the iPhone maker offered the first hints that it would forgo exclusivity with carriers in favor broadening distribution when chief operating officer Tim Cook stated during a Goldman Sachs investment conference that the company was "not married to any business model," but was instead wed only to "shipping the best phones in the world."

Of interest, RBC Capital Markets analyst Mike Abramsky recently met with members of Apple's leadership and followed up with a research note Monday stating that the company was considering a move to allow subsidized pricing, diminishing carrier exclusivity, and support global unlocked iPhone sales going forward.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    You know what I just realized? I use my phone way too often for it to be practical to play music and videos while using my phone for email. And I'm always changing music.

I may only want an iPodTouch after all.

Does the music shut off while emailing? Can you set this to what you want in prefs? What if I'm loading music or videos and the phone rings but I'm tethered to my MacBook?
  • Reply 12 of 44
    fpsandersfpsanders Posts: 31member
    I have a dream... that a Vodafone plan would let you use the vodafone network IN ALL THOSE 10 COUNTRIES! without ridiculously expensive roaming charges. Using Internet on your phone in another country for 1 hour can almost buy you a new Macbook. There is absolutely no reason why vodafone or any other carrier makes you bleed for these 'roaming' costs, accept for making easy bucks while sucking us dry.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fpsanders View Post

I have a dream... that a Vodafone plan would let you use the vodafone network IN ALL THOSE 10 COUNTRIES! without ridiculously expensive roaming charges. Using Internet on your phone in another country for 1 hour can almost buy you a new Macbook. There is absolutely no reason why vodafone or any other carrier makes you bleed for these 'roaming' costs, accept for making easy bucks while sucking us dry.

Ah yes same here in Japan but hey, why don't you just surf the net at HotSpots? Why use your own mobile carrier?

Not enough hot spots here in Japan for easy surfing. Most cafes don't have WiFi yet. Crazy.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    If Apple's exclusive carrier model is unravelling that is good for everyone including Apple. No mass manufacturer ever succeeds by limiting its own distribution channels.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

KDDi is better and cheaper. I've used all of them and I'm sticking with KDDi/AU. Lots of my Japanese friends have switched too. I do like Docomo though. Softbank sucks bone. If Apple goes with SoftBank I'd laugh my Azz off.

But hey If the phone is unlocked it shouldn't matter right.

Japan needs more WiFi though.

Agreed on needing more wifi here. It's cropping up here and there, but not fast enough.

Have used AU for years and am switching to a new carrier this year. The wife wants to go with Docomo because of free family calls; I like the look of their new phone with its 5.1 camera from Sony (I take hundreds of photos). AU has the Casion camera, but I like the Sony better.

I recently heard a rumor that Apple employees in Japan are supplied with a Docomo phone if they have a Softbank phone and vice versa so that they have a phone from both companies so that they will have both bases covered.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    I want to have more options in the Australian market, just for competition on pricing
  • Reply 17 of 44
    FWIW, Vodophone's Japan operations were taken over by Softbank last year, I think.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

If Apple's exclusive carrier model is unravelling that is good for everyone including Apple. No mass manufacturer ever succeeds by limiting its own distribution channels.

I couldn't agree more. I think they'll have to play out their existing agreements then it's open season.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    milanekmilanek Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Interesting. Looks like Apple's just signing contracts left right and centre.

I guess that 10 mil iPhones sold in 2008 will be easily met. Still not the 45mil as some analyst predicted, but with multiple vendors and a new no revenue sharing strategy, these phones will fly off the shelves.

We don't have iTunes Music Store either - so I am curious how activation would work

If it means also opening of iTMS it would be more important event then iPhone introduction...
  • Reply 20 of 44
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Hopefully, Apple will support Arabic language in the iPhone by releasing in the ME.