Apple to begin selling 3G iPhone in late June?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple Inc. may begin selling its next-generation iPhone handset sometime on or after the third week of June, hints a recent memo from AT&T to its retail staffers.

In the message to employees this week, the nation's No. 1 wireless carrier spoke of an "exciting Summer Promotional Launch" that will kick off next month and offer the opportunity for sales representatives to "soar" past their sales quotas.

"To ensure proper staffing during this period, Sales personnel planning to take approved time off are encouraged to schedule their vacations before June 15 or after July 12 to participate in the heavy selling period," the company wrote.

Almost one year ago to the date, AT&T made a similar request of its retail staff, announcing vacation blackout days from June 15 through July 15.

The carrier, alongside Apple, began selling the iPhone on June 29th at 6:00 p.m.

In the weeks leading up to last year's iPhone launch, AT&T went on to appoint addition part time staffers, hire crowd control, and acquire stanchions to corral patrons. It also announce a plan to close down its 1800 retail stores at around 4:00 p.m. on June 29th and reopen them again at 6:00 p.m. with iPhones on hand.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'd believe this one.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    Boo-YA! I've been waiting all year for this.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    Welp, that can only really mean one thing.

Revised Mac minis, definitely.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Please, please, please have real GPS!
  • Reply 5 of 45
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    I second GPS!!
  • Reply 6 of 45
    stukdogstukdog Posts: 53member
    I won't make the mistake of going to an AT&T Store again. They refused to let anyone know when they ran out of phones because they wanted to continue taking pre-orders. It's 100 degrees outside (in Vegas) and they had you waiting the whole time. Once I went in and found out there were no more, I came out and screamed to the line the situation. Nearly everyone left.

That felt good.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    kujakukujaku Posts: 1member
    After reading these forums for well over a year, I was suddenly compelled to register just to say this.

Fancy illustration.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member

• Reply 9 of 45
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kujaku View Post

After reading these forums for well over a year, I was suddenly compelled to register just to say this.

Fancy illustration.

I wonder if AppleInsider's talents created that "fancy illustration" or not, although it makes me want to pull out my photo ID...

However, I noticed that all the people behind the AT&T 'Bouncer' looks to be women dancing!!! Where are all the Apple fans, tech geek guys??? Being denied access because they are 'too nerdy'???... Now I know how PC feels for not being cool, "Hello, I'm PC"... lol \
  • Reply 10 of 45
    davebarnesdavebarnes Posts: 366member
    This is a perfect example of why Apple hates having partners: They can't keep a secret.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Oh God I'm sick of the iPhone news!
  • Reply 12 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by probably View Post

Welp, that can only really mean one thing.

Revised Mac minis, definitely.

Exactly!
  • Reply 13 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

This is a perfect example of why Apple hates having partners: They can't keep a secret.

How else would you have expected them to handle the situation with their employees?

I know mine would have been VERY pissed if I told them the night before that they couldn't go on vacation that week.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Oh God I'm sick of the iPhone news!

Gee Ireland, thank's for sharing.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    I'm surprised that they would expect such a rush on iPhone 2.0.

What percentage of mobile phone users actually appreciate the differences between 2G and 3G?
  • Reply 16 of 45
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

How else would you have expected them to handle the situation with their employees?

I know mine would have been VERY pissed if I told them the night before that they couldn't go on vacation that week.

Right - but we would not have even this indirect confirmation of a product release if Apple didn't have to work with AT&T. Or any other colossal company whose interests don't line up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

I'm surprised that they would expect such a rush on iPhone 2.0.

What percentage of mobile phone users actually appreciate the differences between 2G and 3G?

It only doesn't make sense if you're under the impression that Apple is just inserting 3G radios and nothing else to add value.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Bring it on ... I buy my 3G iPhone the day it's first available
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by probably View Post

Right - but we would not have even this indirect confirmation of a product release if Apple didn't have to work with AT&T. Or any other colossal company whose interests don't line up.

The cat was let out of the bag by Jobs a long time before this when he said that the software for the SDK would be avaiable in late June. Obviously, that meant ver 2.0 of the OS and firmware for the phone itself, would be available then as well.

That pretty much meant that the new phones would be also.

This just sort of confirms what we already knew.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    cronkedcronked Posts: 31member
    An AT&T employee told me that the launch date is June 27th. He also said it will be 3G (we knew that) and it will be all black. He whispered this to me so it must be true!

I'm also hoping for GPS and a camera on the front.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    That picture looks really lame.