Apple to begin selling 3G iPhone in late June?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Gee Ireland, thank's for sharing.

Yeah.... well..... remember last year? You better get used to it, cause it's full force ahead till mid-July. There's honestly nothing that can be done about it. It will increasingly dominate headlines going forward. I also doubt we'll see those new notebooks till the iPhone hype blows over, but that's just a guess =P

Best,

K
  • Reply 22 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Yeah.... well..... remember last year? You better get used to it, cause it's full force ahead till mid-July. There's honestly nothing that can be done about it. It will increasingly dominate headlines going forward. I also doubt we'll see those new notebooks till the iPhone hype blows over, but that's just a guess =P

Best,

K

Hey, you should have posted that to Ireland, not to me.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Hey, you should have posted that to Ireland, not to me.

Yeah, my bad =P
  • Reply 24 of 45
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by probably View Post

Welp, that can only really mean one thing.

Revised Mac minis, definitely.

Why Mac mini's...they don't sell those at AT&T.

Probably new bluetooth headsets instead.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    djkuodjkuo Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cronked View Post

An AT&T employee told me that the launch date is June 27th. He also said it will be 3G (we knew that) and it will be all black. He whispered this to me so it must be true!

I'm also hoping for GPS and a camera on the front.

Funny, because if that's true, that's the same day that Pixar's Wall-E releases in theatres. Funny how those two companies seem to coordinate with each other.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    andrewjnycandrewjnyc Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

That picture looks really lame.

Agreed! And, after how easy it turned out to be to buy iPhone 1.0 on launch night, there was absolutely no good reason for it to be brought back!
  • Reply 27 of 45
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    Quote:

The cat was let out of the bag by Jobs a long time before this when he said that the software for the SDK would be avaiable in late June. Obviously, that meant ver 2.0 of the OS and firmware for the phone itself, would be available then as well.

That pretty much meant that the new phones would be also.

This just sort of confirms what we already knew.

I know this. You're discussing this on AppleInsider.

It's just inferring a product release based on inevitability of technology, timing and past behavior is quite different than a leaked memo as far as Wall Street is concerned.

Not that this particular AT&T blurb means anything to investors or AAPL - this is just the type of attention Apple avoids. It's the reason Apple fed fake iPhone fabrications to AT&T up until they let just the CEO look at one less than a week before they went public. (That factoid always makes me smile: billion dollar secrets are so awesome when they pertain to toys we can play with.)
  • Reply 28 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by probably View Post

I know this. You're discussing this on AppleInsider.

It's just inferring a product release based on inevitability of technology, timing and past behavior is quite different than a leaked memo as far as Wall Street is concerned.

Not that this particular AT&T blurb means anything to investors or AAPL - this is just the type of attention Apple avoids. It's the reason Apple fed fake iPhone fabrications to AT&T up until they let just the CEO look at one less than a week before they went public. (That factoid always makes me smile: billion dollar secrets are so awesome when they pertain to toys we can play with.)

I'm mentioning it because it sometimes seems to be forgotten.

My main point was that there was nothing that AT&T could have done to not put that memo out. It was a requirement. Apple knows this, of course. it didn't hit them with a surprise, you can be sure of that.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    I can't wait to read about people that buy these new 3G iphones only to find out that the ATT 3G coverage in their area doesn't exist. ATT's coverage map is bare for 3G coverage.

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/
  • Reply 30 of 45
    dehgenogdehgenog Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

I can't wait to read about people that buy these new 3G iphones only to find out that the ATT 3G coverage in their area doesn't exist. ATT's coverage map is bare for 3G coverage.

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

Which of those map views shows 3G coverage?

edit: got it.

well all the more reason 3G isn't the only new feature coming
  • Reply 31 of 45
    pvp803pvp803 Posts: 7member
    3G is a given, here's hoping for 32gb option.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Why Mac mini's...they don't sell those at AT&T.

Probably new bluetooth headsets instead.

You all are being so dense.

New pro apps are on the way.

After the new cinema displays.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

What percentage of mobile phone users actually appreciate the differences between 2G and 3G?

While I understand the importance of 3G, or maybe I should say its limitations, I don't see it as a big factor in driving iPhone 2 sales. It is good so don't get me wrong there, but any of the features below could be considered just as important by many:

GPS

Doubling of Flash storage.

More RAM.

Support for a memory storage card.

Host USB functionality.

FM Radio.

Faster WiFi

Truly enable Bluetooth. That is the OS will fully support all profiles.

Vastly improved camera.

Just a few ideas that people should understand as important to a portion of the population.

Dave
  • Reply 34 of 45
    dehgenogdehgenog Posts: 28member
    edit: double post
  • Reply 35 of 45
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Is the 3G iphone to be considered "iphone2". Or is iphone 2 supposed to be a whole true sucessor with more features other than just 3G?
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Is the 3G iphone to be considered "iphone2". Or is iphone 2 supposed to be a whole true sucessor with more features other than just 3G?

that's a good question. we won't know until we see it.

If it looks the same, but adds 3G and not much else, other than the ver 2 software, then no, it won't be a real iPhone 2.

But, if it adds a good deal more, and perhaps has a form change as well, then it would be #2.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    toyintoyin Posts: 58member
    With the confidence in sales numbers from Apple and now this, I think we're looking at more then one phone. Even if the 3G iphone doubles memory, has GPS, and is the same price or cheaper, I don't see that alone pushing sales numbers.

I'm starting to believe the nano phone rumors.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    OMG there's an iPhone!?

of course it's coming soon.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toyin View Post

With the confidence in sales numbers from Apple and now this, I think we're looking at more then one phone. Even if the 3G iphone doubles memory, has GPS, and is the same price or cheaper, I don't see that alone pushing sales numbers.

I'm starting to believe the nano phone rumors.

I don't buy a "nano" theory. But a lower-cost phone targeted at teens would be a killer product.

Most of 'em are addicted to social networks. Imagine the holiday sales!

C.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

What percentage of mobile phone users actually appreciate the differences between 2G and 3G?

I sure don't care either way, i had a 3g phone for 5 months before i got my iPhone for xmas... We didn't even have 3g here in Oklahoma so i wont be getting a 3g iPhone until Oklahoma has their 3g network up & running for a while...