High end iMac wish list

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
OK, heres what I want in addition to and/or instead of the current high end iMac specs.

A great 30" non-glossy screen w/ all metal face plate, 2 core duo 3ghz (4 cores) processors, 2 1000 GB drives, 4GB 800Mhz ram, 3 additional USB2 ports, 1 additional Firewire port, high end video card w/512MB memory, 1GHZ bus speed, blu-ray drive and 2 GB ethernet. Of course I expect to pay for this wonderful machine. How about $3,500? OK, heat may be an issue in an iMac with all this but something close would be great.

I've had towers in the past but I'm really sold on the flat panel iMac form. I currently have the last version of the all white 24" iMac. It's a great machine but I need more power without spending $6K.

You get the idea. Why not have a professional level machine that slots in under the professional video/3D graphics level MacPro and big monitor set up?

I guess this is where everyone tells me I'm crazy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickpenn View Post

...4GB 800Mhz ram...

With the option to go up to 8 GB. This means today 4 memory slots, not impossible at 30".

Quote:

You get the idea. Why not have a professional level machine that slots in under the professional video/3D graphics level MacPro and big monitor set up?

Yes. Interesting though.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    rickpennrickpenn Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

With the option to go up to 8 GB. This means today 4 memory slots, not impossible at 30".

Yes. Interesting though.

Naturally we should have an upgrade path for ram and drives.

Maybe even an optional pull out 15" 2nd screen for Photoshop palettes.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:

2 core duo

You mean, like one Core 2 Quad processor? Because that's a little more realistic.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    How about a 30" iMac with a built in digitizer that we could use as a very large Cintiq?

I wonder how much thicker this beastie would be to a regular 30" ACD.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    desktop hardware all the way!
  • Reply 6 of 13
    rickpennrickpenn Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

You mean, like one Core 2 Quad processor? Because that's a little more realistic.

Thats a really good idea.

High end gamers and pro photographers would eat up an iMac

with the above mentioned configuration(s).

Anyone at Apple reading this? Steve?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Anyone at Apple reading this? Steve?

Listen, this is a rumor site and it is *rumored* that Steve indeed reads it, but it has been *confirmed* that some people at Apple closely follow what is written here.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Listen, this is a rumor site and it is *rumored* that Steve indeed reads it, but it has been *confirmed* that some people at Apple closely follow what is written here.

LOL. I know Apple employees who read rumor sites, it's how they find out about things!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    Quote:

OK, heres what I want in addition to and/or instead of the current high end iMac specs.

A great 30" non-glossy screen w/ all metal face plate, 2 core duo 3ghz (4 cores) processors, 2 1000 GB drives, 4GB 800Mhz ram, 3 additional USB2 ports, 1 additional Firewire port, high end video card w/512MB memory, 1GHZ bus speed, blu-ray drive and 2 GB ethernet. Of course I expect to pay for this wonderful machine. How about $3,500? OK, heat may be an issue in an iMac with all this but something close would be great.

I've had towers in the past but I'm really sold on the flat panel iMac form. I currently have the last version of the all white 24" iMac. It's a great machine but I need more power without spending $6K.

Seems like pushing it...

30" with glossy LED screen (1000:1 contrast ratio, 500 cd/m2)

more ports

3GB (three 1GB sticks) of 1200MHz DDR3; up to 8GB

3.06 GHz (Intel) Quad-core (Extreme chip)

256GB Solid State Drive

20x double-layer SuperDrive (blu-ray readable)

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB memory

This is just what I'm dreaming of course... I'd pay anything for that machine. Too bad nothing like that will ever be released.

Quote:

Maybe even an optional pull out 15" 2nd screen for Photoshop palettes.

hah
  • Reply 10 of 13
    noo

this is way better

-70" OLED 1,000,000 Contrast

-2 Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 (12MB, 3.2GHz Factory O/C'd to 3.8GHz) 8 cores

-128 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz OC'd up to 1600MHz 16 slots

-4 512gb SSD, totaling ~2TB

-4 NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 1.5GB (Stereo 3D, two dual-link DVI)

-wireless z (10gb) , 100gb ethernet cat 10

-Wireless Optimus Maximus keyboard with 200 customizable buttons and 10' mimic trackpad LCD (so u can see the screen on the trackpad, like a ds sort of)

-1 inch thick

-and can morph into a cube the size of a ipod shuffle

- also cost only $2000.

that be FUCKING sick
  • Reply 11 of 13
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobertoq View Post

Seems like pushing it...

30" with glossy LED screen (1000:1 contrast ratio, 500 cd/m2)

more ports

3GB (three 1GB sticks) of 1200MHz DDR3; up to 8GB

3.06 GHz (Intel) Quad-core (Extreme chip)

256GB Solid State Drive

20x double-layer SuperDrive (blu-ray readable)

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB memory

This is just what I'm dreaming of course... I'd pay anything for that machine. Too bad nothing like that will ever be released.

How so? BD drives are $200. I think Intel's end-of-year processors might bring a suitable quadcore, but someone married to Intel's roadmap PDF can spill the details. 256GB SSDs will be out in 2009 en masse. So the question is really, does Apple come out with a 30". If they do, you could be able to buy one this year and slap in a SSD next year to reach your dream machine.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

How so? BD drives are $200. I think Intel's end-of-year processors might bring a suitable quadcore, but someone married to Intel's roadmap PDF can spill the details. 256GB SSDs will be out in 2009 en masse. So the question is really, does Apple come out with a 30". If they do, you could be able to buy one this year and slap in a SSD next year to reach your dream machine.

The only mobile quad-core processor on Intel's roadmap for 2008 is a 2.53GHz model. It will be called QX9300 (not to be confused with the Q9300, a desktop CPU) and will cost over a grand. They could always release something faster but I think 3.06GHz is out of the question unless it's another special CPU for Apple.

The mobile Nehalem processors will come next year. Who knows what their clock speeds will be.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    30" screen would be great 5 USB ports in the back is all I need. And an OLED screen would be great.