America Movil to sell Apple's next-gen iPhone in Mexico

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
America Movil, the largest mobile network operator and corporation in Latin America, said Wednesday it will begin selling Apple Inc.'s iPhone in Mexico and other parts of the region later this year.

As of last March, the Fortune 500 company catered to over 152 million wireless subscribers in 16 countries, primarily those located throughout Latin America and the Caribbean.

In its announcement Wednesday, the carrier did not specify a timeframe for when it would begin carrying the touch-screen handset, nor did indicated whether its agreement with Apple afforded it exclusive rights to sell the device in those markets.

America Movil joins a flurry of other carriers around the globe who've announce plans over the past two weeks to begin selling the iPhone to their customers later this year.

Late last month, Rogers Wireless of Canada said it too would begin carrying the Apple handset sometime later this year. Soon thereafter, Vodafone announced plans to bring the device to Australia, the Czech Republic, Egypt, Greece, Italy, India, Portugal, New Zealand, South Africa and Turkey.

In a first-ever move for Apple and its handset business, Telecom Italia announced alongside Vodafone that it had also reached an agreement with Apple to market iPhone in Italy, marking the first time the Cupertino-based electronics maker has abandoned its exclusive carrier model for regional phone sales.

In a research report issued to clients on Tuesday, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster noted that up until recently, carriers had been quick to trumpet any exclusivity they received in marketing the first-generation iPhone to their customers. Such behavior appears to be absent this time around, the analyst said, leading him to believe that the most recent wave of iPhone announcements represent non-exclusive deals.

Thus far, carriers announcing new iPhone partnerships have not said when they expect to begin selling the handset, though a recent AT&T Mobility memo suggests the device will launch stateside around the same time the first-generation model went on sale last year (the final Friday in June).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    ¡Qué bueno!
  • Reply 2 of 22
    plokoonpmaplokoonpma Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

America Movil, the largest mobile network operator and corporation in Latin America, said Wednesday it will begin selling Apple Inc.'s iPhone in Mexico sometime this year.

As of last March, the Fourtune 500 company catered to over 152 million wireless subscribers in 16 countries, primarily those located throughout Latin America and the Caribbean.

In its announcement Wednesday, the carrier did not specify a timeframe for when it would begin carrying the touch-screen handset, nor did indicated whether its agreement with Apple afforded it exclusive rights to market the device in Mexico.

Developing...

All those countries but Panama....

These are the happy countries that will have the iPhone:

Claro brand:

Brazil, Chile, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Peru, Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay and Puerto Rico.

Comcel Brand: Colombia

Porta in Ecuador

I only wish Telefonica lands something with Apple so Panama and Venezuela can have the iPhone legally.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

All those countries but Panama....

These are the happy countries that will have the iPhone:

Claro brand:

Brazil, Chile, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Peru, Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay and Puerto Rico.

Comcel Brand: Colombia in Colombia.

Porta in Ecuador

I only wish Telefonica lands something with Apple so Panama and Venezuela can have the iPhone legally.

If it arrives in Venezuela, Chavez will want to nationalize it.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

If it arrives in Venezuela, Chavez will want to nationalize it.

You yankee imperialist!
  • Reply 5 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Coming next... Cuba!
  • Reply 6 of 22
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Is three a 'flurry'?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

You yankee imperialist!

I hope so.

How's Noriega doing?
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

I hope so.

How's Noriega doing?

Hello Melgross, Noriega still in USA but free having the US Marshalls paying all his expenses.

Kind of Ironic eh..

take care 8)
  • Reply 9 of 22
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Wonder if Canada will get it before Mexico....
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Hello Melgross, Noriega still in USA but free having the US Marshalls paying all his expenses.

Kind of Ironic eh..

take care 8)

Better here than there, right?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    monkeyastronautmonkeyastronaut Posts: 1,343member
    ahh, i will be tempted to sell my samsung i321n and ipod classic.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    monkeyastronautmonkeyastronaut Posts: 1,343member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

Is three a 'flurry'?

a flurry of potential customers. some of these carriers, like vodaphone and america movil, operate in multiple countries.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Better here than there, right?

I think he is better there, there's too many persons here that would like him hanged for all the crimes he committed, but there is a whole generation that doesn't know him and don't give a dime where he is. Panama has matured, grew, its totally independent and struggling to be a first world country. He is in the past for most of us.

Chaves..... he wont be around forever as Castro did. he will go down soon I hope.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

I think he is better there, there's too many persons here that would like him hanged for all the crimes he committed, but there is a whole generation that doesn't know him and don't give a dime where he is. Panama has matured, grew, its totally independent and struggling to be a first world country. He is in the past for most of us.

Chaves..... he wont be around forever as Castro did. he will go down soon I hope.

I agree. I just wanted to point out that we aren't as imperialistic as we could have been.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

I agree. I just wanted to point out that we aren't as imperialistic as we could have been.

Nah, not imperialist at all, I wish to still have the military bases here, since i'm kind of jarhead lol.

But anyways we have a strong migrations of americans that look for a nice place for retirement or business
  • Reply 16 of 22
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Mexico should grab a spine like Venezuela.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Nah, not imperialist at all, I wish to still have the military bases here, since i'm kind of jarhead lol.

But anyways we have a strong migrations of americans that look for a nice place for retirement or business

Not at all. If we were, all of North America would be part of the good old USA.

I'm not saying we don't strongarm smaller states. That's natural. it's power politics.

But Panama would be the South. You would be having primaries about now.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Not at all. If we were, all of North America would be part of the good old USA.

I'm not saying we don't strongarm smaller states. That's natural. it's power politics.

But Panama would be the South. You would be having primaries about now.

hehe, I dont think so, we never had one in more than 80 years when the canal was in hand of USA but I just watched the tv news and learned that Claro just got a permission of the goverment to operate so I can't be happier!!!

Claro will be on Panama with the all migthy iPhone!
  • Reply 19 of 22
    footloose301footloose301 Posts: 421member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Coming next... Cuba!

haha that was funny if you say it with a Cuban accent.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

hehe, I dont think so, we never had one in more than 80 years when the canal was in hand of USA but I just watched the tv news and learned that Claro just got a permission of the goverment to operate so I can't be happier!!!

Claro will be on Panama with the all migthy iPhone!

Right. Because you weren't a territory, Commonwealth, or State. You weren't part of the US. If you were, the people there would be US citizens. That's the way it works in our other territories (the ones we can't seem to get rid of).