O2 says Apple's iPhone "no longer available" [updated x2]

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
O2, Apple's exclusive iPhone wireless provider in the UK, in a message on its website early Thursday announced that both models of the first-generation handset are no longer available for purchase in the country.

The announcement comes less than a week after the carrier's retail partner Carphone Warehouse was reported to have run dry of its supply of 16GB iPhones.

Prior to that, both O2 and Carphone Warehouse announced that the 8GB iPhone was out of stock and would not be restocked because it had been discontinued.

Though O2 does not explain the sudden lack of availability, it's clear to industry watchers that Apple in recent weeks has been depleting Europe of its existing iPhone inventory ahead of a second-generation model that will run on faster 3G wireless networks.

Update: O2 has reportedly told Register Hardware that it?s currently in the process of replenishing stocks of the 16GB iPhone to be sold online, but that its retail stores still have the model in stock.

Update 2: O2's website is again reflecting stock of the 16GB model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Oh well that's it then. They couldn't sell enough of them so Apple have pulled out of the UK.

NOT.

3G here we come.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    jcrew7384jcrew7384 Posts: 3member
    Is it possible that a new iPhone will be released sooner than expected?

I can't imagine Apple/O2 would let supplies run dry over a month before the expected launch date of June 27 (from various rumor sites).

UNLESS this is to prevent people from purchasing within a 30 day window and returning for the free upgrade to the latest generation... Would that make sense?
  • Reply 3 of 34
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Apple cannot leave the pipeline empty that long. There has got to be something afoot directly. It is one thing to create demand, it is another to lose business.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCrew7384 View Post

Is it possible that a new iPhone will be released sooner than expected?

I can't imagine Apple/O2 would let supplies run dry over a month before the expected launch date of June 27 (from various rumor sites).

UNLESS this is to prevent people from purchasing within a 30 day window and returning for the free upgrade to the latest generation... Would that make sense?

I'd say you're right JCrew. Apple got tired of the cry babies. Anyone who bought in the last month or two obviously doesn't care about 3G. Anyone who DOES cry is on their own, they can't legitimately say they had no idea new phones were coming. The smallest bit of research would have told them to wait.

It will be interesting to see if the phone supplies dry up *everywhere* in the US.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    This is an extraordinary story. I cannot imagine any other consumer goods company doing anything similar. You've got to be very confident to leave the channel empty for so long! So Apple must be really pleased with iPhone 2.0. Here we all are chasing tidbits of info about it, My money is on the same kind of hype that accompanied the launch of the first one.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    fpsandersfpsanders Posts: 31member
    Would there be any chance of an European premiere for the iPhone 3g? That would be fun... (except for us Dutchies who are still standing out there in the cold :-()
  • Reply 7 of 34
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    You would assume that Apple would want the V2.0 phone software available to launch at the same time as the V2.0 phone. Still it could come out with the V2.0 phone and be released for the older models later.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fpsanders View Post

Would there be any chance of an European premiere for the iPhone 3g? That would be fun... (except for us Dutchies who are still standing out there in the cold :-()

It's possible. One of the oft cited problems with launching in the USA is you have to disclose details to the FCC weeks before the launch date, killing demand not just in the USA but in Europe too. If they launch in Europe they don't have that problem. Then again if you've no stock left to sell, 'demand' is academic.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

That does make sense. Why have so many EDGE iPhones sold just to have most of them returned within 30 days. That means the sales people have to sell a phone twice and do a refund and rescind contract too. That is a costly pain in the ass.

With this move from EDGE to HSPA there isn't a single solution that makes a profit during this transition, but at least Apple's marketing is trying to turn it into free publicity.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    orion99orion99 Posts: 11member
    THis story is another example of where AppleInsider attempts to make it sound that they have broken this story. The credit should be given to Engadget who broke the story.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    If they keep selling the current model right up to the release of the new one, they will just get a lot of returns and it will be a pain in the bum. 4 weeks will be gone before we know it.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    ammoniadammoniad Posts: 7member
    It would be great if 3g were getting launched earlier than we all think, but it looks to me like Apple screwed the pooch on this one and just completely blew the estimate for when Europe would run out of stock... it wouldn't be the first time. Apple seems to have a chronic problem estimating supply needs...
  • Reply 13 of 34
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Just a quick point but O2's return policy is 14 days, not 30.

http://shop.o2.co.uk/FAQ?category=Re...HANGE_MY_PHONE

Apple UK's return policy is also 14 days.

http://promo.euro.apple.com/promo/he...r/returns.html
  • Reply 14 of 34
    tadunnetadunne Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orion99 View Post

THis story is another example of where AppleInsider attempts to make it sound that they have broken this story. The credit should be given to Engadget who broke the story.

Naa O2 broke the story it was on their website first
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Just a quick point but O2's return policy is 14 days, not 30.

http://shop.o2.co.uk/FAQ?category=Re...HANGE_MY_PHONE

Apple UK's return policy is also 14 days.

http://promo.euro.apple.com/promo/he...r/returns.html

Nice find. I thought it was 30 days, too, but that may be the contract itself.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    couple ideas: maybe the initaitial 2-3 million "ordered" (by rumor) is for european launch

nd THIS would quell the mass exodous of unlocking from USA due to the weak dollar

and as above, work through the FCC issues. but nobody wants to RUN OUT OF A HOT ITEM, talk about lost revenue, stinks of poor inventory control and manufacturing planning unless the above is true, IF EU first it will kill sales in the US till the US version is here. Hmmmm poor planning vs strategic salivation!!!!
  • Reply 17 of 34
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

If this explanation is to be believed, 3G iPhone for sale on May 22nd of June 8th people! Woo Hoo!!

Reasoning is as good as anybody elses...
  • Reply 18 of 34
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

If this explanation is to be believed, 3G iPhone for sale on May 22nd of June 8th people! Woo Hoo!!

Reasoning is as good as anybody elses...

Got that right .
  • Reply 19 of 34
    gladgdgladgd Posts: 1member
    I find it very disappointing that AI has followed the lead of other sites and headlined that the whole country is sold out (even if it is with a question mark). The partners are sold out but a 30 second check would have revealed that the phones are still in stock via Apple themselves, with the online stored quoting 24 hour dispatch.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gladgd View Post

I find it very disappointing that AI has followed the lead of other sites and headlined that the whole country is sold out (even if it is with a question mark). The partners are sold out but a 30 second check would have revealed that the phones are still in stock via Apple themselves, with the online stored quoting 24 hour dispatch.

So that points to an 02 stocking issue, not an Apple one.

I guess we can put down our pitchforks and torches until we find something else to badmouth Apple for.