I think I know what Apple will do when they announce their TV's

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

But what is the proportion of the computer buyers willing to chuck their monitors to get an AOI verses the proportion of the Apple TV buyers willing to chuck their HDTVs to get an Apple TV? My bet is on the computers. Besides, don't most computer buyers replace their monitors when buying a new computer? I sure did. While Apple may like to sell the "whole pie" they will settle for part of the pie if need be.

It's not an either/or prop here. Apple would continue to sell the STB but the HDTV would have a bit more "secret sauce"
  • Reply 62 of 79
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Check your facts. I predicted it then, but gave a date well in the future. I can't help myself if I happen to naturally think a few moves ahead of you, sorry. Sorry for apologizing too, as that's going to encourage a response to this particular post I don't really need.

Dude. If your going to excitedly tout the stuff that you're absolutely sure Apple is going to soon introduce, next Macworld, no, next Macworld, well, for absolutely sure the next Macworld, always with the same take-no-prisoners, loftily dismissive tone towards all the poor saps that just don't get it...... well, you're going to have to accept that you'll get some tweaking, from time to time.

For all I know you're right this time, but your track record isn't great and you take yourself way too seriously. You're not a prophet sent here to enlighten us. You're just some dude on teh interwebs with enthusiastic ideas about Apple's future products, which is just fine and dandy.
  • Reply 63 of 79
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Dude. If your going to excitedly tout the stuff that you're absolutely sure Apple is going to soon introduce, next Macworld, no, next Macworld, well, for absolutely sure the next Macworld, always with the same take-no-prisoners, loftily dismissive tone towards all the poor saps that just don't get it...... well, you're going to have to accept that you'll get some tweaking, from time to time.

For all I know you're right this time, but your track record isn't great and you take yourself way too seriously. You're not a prophet sent here to enlighten us. You're just some dude on teh interwebs with enthusiastic ideas about Apple's future products, which is just fine and dandy.

Ok...
  • Reply 64 of 79
    walter slocombewalter slocombe Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Thank you
  • Reply 65 of 79
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

It's not an either/or prop here. Apple would continue to sell the STB but the HDTV would have a bit more "secret sauce"

What is this secret sauce? For Apple to get into the highly competitive, low margin TV business they will need some heavy secret sauce. And a lot of it. So far nothing has been stated that demands the inclusion of a display screen. Everything can be provided by a STB. Now add the inevitable hardware upgrades and the large number of home decorating styles that the TV has to accommodate the STB is the way to go. People will be much more willing to replace a $300 STB than a $3000 TV and they can hide the STB away if it violently disagrees with style of the room it will be used in.
  • Reply 66 of 79
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Thank you

Ditto to addabox.
  • Reply 67 of 79
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Thank you

+1
  • Reply 68 of 79
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

+1 and some extra...
  • Reply 69 of 79
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    Well I hope it doesn't stream through my internet \ live streaming is horrible with my internet connection. Apple wouldn't do plasma screens. Chances are they would make an LED screen, because they are going green. IMO, LED screens are better.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I would hope you expect both to co-exist seeing as how Apple would surely not enter the market and suddenly usurp all incumbent TV manufacturers.

I'd suspect the ATV in it's current form would stay relatively the same. For differentiation I'll dub the Apple HDTV as the Apple iSight HD.

Now where the iSight would differ is this.

1. 32" and 47" sizes (LCD)

2. All the full features of ATV integrated right into the set.

3. A 64GB SSD drive would be standard. Card Reader on side.

4. 3 HDMI ports, Firewire, WIFI, Coax, SPDIF, USB & Ethernet(Bonjour)

5. Quasi DVR functionality. No guide but the ability to pause live TV the SSD Storage

6. Time Capsule support.

7. Gaming support....yes. iPhone/iPod Touch games are upscaled to 720 Rez

8- Built in Webcam with zoom and focus on low light performance (iChat Theatre support)

9. Support for Dashcode Widgets (new iTunes IPTV Widgets delivered)

10. Power Management. Can drop the LCD backlight down in levels after a period of time

11. IPTV interface uses Core Animation and nice use of transparency for UI.

12. Nice remote control with small OLED screen (Cover Art etc) configuration through HTML and can be configured remotely.

Thus you have legacy ATV for people with a current HDTV but for new buyers and those early adopters you have the nigh perfect blend of TV and computing. Plop and Apple iSight HD into your home network and suddenly it becomes the center of your Digital Lifestyle in which everything else orbits. Need more storage? Add a Firewire device. Need to hook up that new HD camcorder..plug into the firewire jack. Need to move data off the internal SSD drive? Send it to your Time Capsule.

Intel may provide the chips but I could easily see Apple leveraging their PA Semi purchase to deliver a low cost/low power SoC/motherboard for this product. They wouldn't expect gonzo sales at first but once again Apple would show the world just have creative they are and how unimaginative the current HDTV hegemony is.

Hopefully, if Apple was going to make TV's they'd make them huge. 42", 52", 60"

They wouldn't use LCD screen's because they're going green SSD and a card reader would be nice.

Love the iChat Theatre idea! Hopefully it would be a high quality, top end webcam.

Like the idea of the remote.

Quote:

Not so sure about SSD, when they could throw in a huge hard drive for less then half the cost. As for the card reader, why?

SSD's have no moving parts, so they use less power, and.... they're just better. They could put a huge SSD in there if they wanted.

I just hope they update the iPod classic so it has a 64 GB SSD in it.

As for the card reader, not sure... but it seems like it could be a nice feature.

-

Speaking of that... when am I going to get my iPod Classic in the mail? Mine broke so I had to get a refurbished one, but it turns out the refurbished one was broken
  • Reply 70 of 79
    Quote:

Thank you

Oh no, the pain. Everyone's against me!

/sarcasm

Apple "TV" here we come!!
  • Reply 71 of 79
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobertoq View Post

SSD's have no moving parts, so they use less power, and.... they're just better. They could put a huge SSD in there if they wanted.

I just hope they update the iPod classic so it has a 64 GB SSD in it.

Have you seen the price of a 64GB SSD? Go and build to order a MBA on the AppleStore online to get an idea.
  • Reply 72 of 79
    Quote:

/sarcasm

Hahaha... for all of Irelands sarcasm, I'm still thinking that Apple's not far from bringing a TV to table. Its not like its that big of a stretch for them either with what they've already got in their product line.

I mean think about it. Does Apple really want to stay complacent with just having AppleTV be where it is? No, its more of an after thought when buying a TV. People go out, buy huge TV's and then a couple years down the road.. eh maybe I'll get an Apple TV too.

I honestly believe that Apple is going to push this whole "computer as a digital hub" concept to its fullest potential. Are they going into a market that has huge competition and low profit margins? Yup. But wait, isn't there huge competition and low profit margins in computer displays as well? Yup.

So here's what I think, Apple's going to make a TV that, like the cinema display, will be overpriced. (Just like their external CD drive for the Air etc. etc.) But it will deliver. It will be a way for the consumer to invest in the vision of having your computer as the digital hub of your life. And people will be able to buy a television that embraces this future... not have to buy something else in addition to their new flat panel.

"..if we make this keyboard beautiful enough, and if we charge enough money,... they'll switch. You know they will. Remember: these are people who spend 500 bucks extra, on average, just because a computer is shiny white." -FSJ (don't hate)
  • Reply 73 of 79
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

/sarcasm

There you go-- I only gave you a hard time cause I know you can't be discouraged......

Funny thing is, a year or two ago I thought there was no way, and now I'm not so sure-- some kind of giant iMac/TV/mini thing doesn't seem completely impossible.

I still think the better play is let the HD flat panel guys make their shiny wares and sell add-on boxes that play nice with Apple world, but..... not completely impossible.

That's as much as your getting out of me.
  • Reply 74 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

That's as much as your getting out of me.

Ok, I'll take that and run!
  • Reply 75 of 79
    gdconwaygdconway Posts: 71member
    improvements in screen technology progress at a slower rate than the other hardware technology, and therefore do not justify upgrades at the same pace. the same could be said for the computer screen and hardware, but as the COMPUTER monitor represents a smaller portion of the total investment than an aio TV monitor, i'm more tolerant of buying the iMac aio than i would be of buying the atv aio.

i'm not going to buy a new tv screen every 2-3 years. but i just bought an atv and would eventually purchase an upgrade to atv. broaden itunes, add dvr. but i'm not spending the equivalent of the cost of a new apple tv AND a new tv screen every couple years just to upgrade the atv portion of the device.
  • Reply 76 of 79
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdconway View Post

improvements in screen technology progress at a slower rate than the other hardware technology, and therefore do not justify upgrades at the same pace. the same could be said for the computer screen and hardware, but as the COMPUTER monitor represents a smaller portion of the total investment than an aio TV monitor, i'm more tolerant of buying the iMac aio than i would be of buying the atv aio.

i'm not going to buy a new tv screen every 2-3 years. but i just bought an atv and would eventually purchase an upgrade to atv. broaden itunes, add dvr. but i'm not spending the equivalent of the cost of a new apple tv AND a new tv screen every couple years just to upgrade the atv portion of the device.

Apple HDTV isn't a hardware play it's a content play. The "guts" would be as consolidated as possible. Apple's task, if they choose to accept it, is to make a "plug and play" system that leverages broadcast and burgeoning Internet Video/IPTV technology and iTunes content. Since applications typical of a desktop/notebook would not be running on it Apple would only need put in enough power to run today's media with a bit of headroom.

If Apple can deliver the Apple TV at $229 complete with its own casing, Powersuppy and storage imagine the cost saving from saving on the casing and sharing the PS with the HDTV itself?
  • Reply 77 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

Apple HDTV isn't a hardware play it's a content play.

Well actually it's both. Don't underestimate how much profit Apple could squeeze out of each TV sold. They'd make a killing on the product, if done right.
  • Reply 78 of 79
    walter slocombewalter slocombe Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

/sarcasm

I don't know why I'm even bothering to feed you..

no problem, I expect* you to STFU about this come Sept. 09. no more no less.

*unfortunately highly unlikely
  • Reply 79 of 79
    Quote:

I don't know why I'm even bothering to feed you..

I'm alright actually, I Just had a snack.