Thinking of getting a MacBook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey everyone, i am going to be starting a new quarter at college and i am thinking about buying a new laptop. If i get a laptop it would no doubt be a Mac i am just not sure what Macbook or Air i should get.

My girlfriend has a macbook white 13 inch with a 1.8ghz processor and i believe 64 gig hard drive and 1gig RAM. Her and I both have noticed its slow performance that she is reaching almost 20 gigs of free space. I will only be using my laptop for term papers and other essays and internet access. No music or movies, i have an ipod and an iMac for that.

Can some one with a bigger Macbook or an AIR give me some insight on what they think is good for the price.

Here is what i was thinking of getting.

13inch MacBook

2gig RAM

150 Gig hard drive

and i think the ghz is like 2.4 or something...

Let me know...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eav10xb View Post

Hey everyone, i am going to be starting a new quarter at college and i am thinking about buying a new laptop. If i get a laptop it would no doubt be a Mac i am just not sure what Macbook or Air i should get.

My girlfriend has a macbook white 13 inch with a 1.8ghz processor and i believe 64 gig hard drive and 1gig RAM. Her and I both have noticed its slow performance that she is reaching almost 20 gigs of free space. I will only be using my laptop for term papers and other essays and internet access. No music or movies, i have an ipod and an iMac for that.

Can some one with a bigger Macbook or an AIR give me some insight on what they think is good for the price.

Here is what i was thinking of getting.

13inch MacBook

2gig RAM

150 Gig hard drive

and i think the ghz is like 2.4 or something...

Let me know...

The Macbook is perfect for what you describe. The current ones are an excellent value. I think you'll be surprised at its performance. The 2.4 ghz MB is as fast or slightly faster then the last 2.4 ghz MBPs in cpu processes. For video intensive tasks it'll be slower because it has integrated graphics. But if you don't play games or edit videos with FCP you'll be fine.

Your girlfriend's computer can probably be improved be adding another gigabyte of RAM. I would look into it if I were you.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    eav10xbeav10xb Posts: 5member
    Thats what i figured, i wont be needing anything fancy till i graduate from college. Then i might go with a macbook pro. So for now mine as well get the cheapest with a few upgrades to it.

I was also telling my gf she should take it to the apple store and get a another gig of RAM becuase that would definitely boost her performance but right now thats out of her budget.

Thanks for the reply.

-E
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Thats what i figured, i wont be needing anything fancy till i graduate from college. Then i might go with a macbook pro. So for now mine as well get the cheapest with a few upgrades to it.

I was also telling my gf she should take it to the apple store and get a another gig of RAM becuase that would definitely boost her performance but right now thats out of her budget.

Thanks for the reply.

-E

Buy the RAM from crucial, kingston or OWC. Its much cheaper. You and her can easily install it yourself. See here.

I bet another gig of RAM will breath new life into your gf's machine.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I am not that great at installing crap on computers, i might have my uncle or a friend of mine do it if she ever decides to add RAM.

Is it possible to get two 2gig RAMS installed on a macbook? Or is there only a space for 1 stick i dont really remember. I would check the site but i am at work and it is blocked because people were downloading iTunes.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

I am not that great at installing crap on computers, i might have my uncle or a friend of mine do it if she ever decides to add RAM.

Is it possible to get two 2gig RAMS installed on a macbook? Or is there only a space for 1 stick i dont really remember. I would check the site but i am at work and it is blocked because people were downloading iTunes.

All but the base model come with 2 gbs pre-installed. Check out the link I posted when you get home. Its really easier than you think.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

All but the base model come with 2 gbs pre-installed. Check out the link I posted when you get home. Its really easier than you think.

Thanks i will post back when i get a chance to check it out.