What OS X icons would you guys like to see?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey, What OS X icons would you guys like to see? I have been making OS X icons and I would love to here what you guys would like to see so I can make them.

So what icons have been pissing you off that you woud like me to redo? thanks

[<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/mikesicons/Menu3.html"; target="_blank"></a>

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: Michaelm8000 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    All Adobe apps and ircle.
  • Reply 2 of 81
    The Finder.

And some really nice hard disk and folder icons would be nice.
  • Reply 3 of 81
    [quote]Originally posted by kaboom:

<strong>The Finder.

And some really nice hard disk and folder icons would be nice.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Can you be more spisific?

And what do you whant for the adob apps? there are already like 50 differnet Adob icon sets out there. What would you whant differnt?
  • Reply 4 of 81
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    How about icons for apps that have OS X native versions, but for some reason, their icons is still a 32x32, ugly pixelated thing?

Limewire and DiskTracker are two that spring immediately to mind. Maybe they've corrected the problem by now, but at last look, they both had old-style, pixel-based icons, even though the app itself was OS X native.

What do you use to do OS X icons, because I think I'd like to dabble in it. Iconographer? Or do you use Iconfactory's thing?
  • Reply 5 of 81
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    'Scates, you can just use Photoshop and IconComposer (part of DevTools), if you know how to get the alpha (which I bet you do so I'll shut up).

Also Mikey already has made a LimeWire icon, it's the nicest one I've seen. Well, it's also the only one I've seen. I just wish it were more Aqua-like.

As for what icons I would like, ehh.. I would like to see a nicer Terminal icon. Like one with the new LCD displays, not the really old (tripod-era) CRT ones as it is now. I should just do it myself, but I'm lazy.
  • Reply 6 of 81
    [quote]Originally posted by bradbower:

<strong>'Scates, you can just use Photoshop and IconComposer (part of DevTools), if you know how to get the alpha (which I bet you do so I'll shut up).

Also Mikey already has made a LimeWire icon, it's the nicest one I've seen. Well, it's also the only one I've seen. I just wish it were more Aqua-like.

As for what icons I would like, ehh.. I would like to see a nicer Terminal icon. Like one with the new LCD displays, not the really old (tripod-era) CRT ones as it is now. I should just do it myself, but I'm lazy.</strong><hr></blockquote>

what do you mean my you wish my LimeWire icon was more aqua-ish? Like gelly like?

That Terminal idea is a good one!

I have been trying to do apps that are OS X native but have ugly icons Like i have done LimeWire, Caracho, AIM, SerialReader , and now Stuffit and all its Documents. And I am going to keep doing more
  • Reply 7 of 81
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>

What do you use to do OS X icons, because I think I'd like to dabble in it. Iconographer? Or do you use Iconfactory's thing?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I use Iconographer I like it the best as a last step. I draw all my icons in PhotoShop 6.
  • Reply 8 of 81
    [quote]Originally posted by Michaelm8000:

<strong>

what do you mean my you wish my LimeWire icon was more aqua-ish? Like gelly like?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes. Aqua-like. Not just plain vector-drawn-like. But I'm talking about a whole new icon, like a plug in the original LimeWire icon. A green Aqua-like plug. Your current LimeWire icon is nice, but it wouldn't lend itself to being Aqua candy-ized, I don't think, due to the small size of the wire and the texture of the lime. So basically, ignore my silly suggestion.

I also like your carracho icon but it is so close to the original. Also your stuffit is nice, but I've already replaced mine with a slightly more colorful, and interestingly-angled icon from <a href="http://icons.cx/"; target="_blank">http://icons.cx/</a>; , it does have the same "picture" in the icon though. If I hadn't already changed it to that one, I'd say yours is a huge improvement on Stuffit's ugly-tastic icon! Speaking of ugly-tastic, I'm going to make a replacement for the ScanWise icon--the driver software for Afga scanners.
  • Reply 9 of 81
    Icons I don't want to see: animé; application icons; Star Trek; hard drive icons; automobiles; lame celebrities

Icons I would like to see: fun, wacky, whimsical icons like Gort's icons and Perfect Yosemite icons <a href="http://www.perfectyosemite.com/"; target="_blank">web page</a>; Bloom County; Looney Tunes; naked chicks; wildlife.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: Mango ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 81
    hi,

i run Xicons.com... i'll be reading this thread for some public opinion on what to post and what to avoid. The good submissions are now coming in faster than i can post them so I have to pick and choose.

I do have a few sets of adobe icons laying around, but haven't posted them because there are already several online. But I'll put them up this week if there really is a desire for them.

Any other comments on what you would like to see posted and what should be avoided?

Jeff
  • Reply 11 of 81

<strong>

Yes. Aqua-like. Not just plain vector-drawn-like. But I'm talking about a whole new icon, like a plug in the original LimeWire icon. A green Aqua-like plug. Your current LimeWire icon is nice, but it wouldn't lend itself to being Aqua candy-ized, I don't think, due to the small size of the wire and the texture of the lime. So basically, ignore my silly suggestion.

I also like your carracho icon but it is so close to the original. Also your stuffit is nice, but I've already replaced mine with a slightly more colorful, and interestingly-angled icon from <a href="http://icons.cx/"; target="_blank">http://icons.cx/</a>; , it does have the same "picture" in the icon though. If I hadn't already changed it to that one, I'd say yours is a huge improvement on Stuffit's ugly-tastic icon! Speaking of ugly-tastic, I'm going to make a replacement for the ScanWise icon--the driver software for Afga scanners. </strong><hr></blockquote>

For my stuff it icon I was trying to follow the aqua guide lines for a ulitly icon. Those gidelines are a stait on angle for your object and use grey colors not bring colors.

As for your lime wire idea, I do not feel that every icon in OS X needs to be aqua (candy like). I did AIM and Carracho like that beacuse they both have very recignizible logos (running man and star) just like IE. That logo was a simple 1 color shape so I decided to make it aqua.

Thanks for all the sugestions
  • Reply 12 of 81
    I know there is already soem of them but I would like some really good gaming icons. Maybe one for just my games folder. Theres nothing good for that right now. But yah some game icons are always good.

Strider
  • Reply 13 of 81
    Icons I don't want to see: anime, stupid hard drive replacements, star trek, anime, icons with thick, ugly black lines around everything, star wars, anime, etc.

Icons I would like to see more of: food items, sets of unique color variations on system icons (without other gaudy modifications), The Sims icons, other really nice ones like Glasz Icons and Polished Stone.

But overall, xicons really has a ton of great icons! You just need to weed out all of that anime, and keep it far, far away. Congratulations on a great site.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: bradbower ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 81

But overall, xicons really has a ton of great icons! You just need to weed out all of that anime, and keep it far, far away. Congratulations on a great site.

<hr></blockquote>

I don't like the anime icons either, but there are a lot of people who specifically request them. Xicons' audience is very diverse and I try to make something available for everyone. Not everyone is going to like each icon set, but the idea is to provide enough choice so that there is something for everyone.

My main complaint with other icon sites is that there is not enough variation. You generally get one style of icon and if you don't like it, you're out of luck. That's why i think posting submissions is better than having one or a few icon designers in house making the decisions of what people should like.

I'll certainly keep everyone's comments in mind though when I post. I've already cut down tremendously on the number of "clip-art" icons posted because most people find them somewhat useless and generally boring. There are of course exceptions to that rule though.
  • Reply 15 of 81
    I want the old spreadsheet, macpaint, macwrite and macplot icons back
  • Reply 16 of 81
    I'd like to see the following icon sets:

NFL football helmets ( all of them, not just the most popular teams )

Baseball and BasketBall logos

Complete OSX system sets

A good complete Star Wars related one.

I'll post more if I think of any.
  • Reply 17 of 81
    [quote]Originally posted by dillyo1001:

<strong>

I don't like the anime icons either, but there are a lot of people who specifically request them. Xicons' audience is very diverse and I try to make something available for everyone. Not everyone is going to like each icon set, but the idea is to provide enough choice so that there is something for everyone.

My main complaint with other icon sites is that there is not enough variation. You generally get one style of icon and if you don't like it, you're out of luck. That's why i think posting submissions is better than having one or a few icon designers in house making the decisions of what people should like.

I'll certainly keep everyone's comments in mind though when I post. I've already cut down tremendously on the number of "clip-art" icons posted because most people find them somewhat useless and generally boring. There are of course exceptions to that rule though.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I can understand. Variation is a good thing.

This kind of brings me to the conclusion that almost all of the little sections for icon types are just a mixed bag. It would be nicer if you had more categories, like <a href="http://macdesktops.com/"; target="_blank">http://macdesktops.com/</a>; . More, as well as more descriptive categories make it easier to find icons, perhaps sub-categories would be a good concept as well. You could even cross-reference things if applicable. Also what would be nice is if you had numbered pages so you could go between pages and back, and have some idea how many icons are in each category, how many pages, etc. Not hard to do at all with PHP or the like. You've got a great idea, and lots of great icons. *thumbs up*
  • Reply 18 of 81
    I would like some good icons of Bungie's game Halo.

Strider
  • Reply 19 of 81
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    World of Tron icons
  • Reply 20 of 81
    How bout you use the community pics and make icons of all of them