NBC prefers Zune DRM; VMware beta; iMac's 10th birthday

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
NBC has persuaded Microsoft to filter out copyrighted material in its Zune jukebox while Apple refuses the same. Also, PA Semi has allegedly been bought out to design a future chip; VMware has released the first beta of Fusion 2; YouTube is offering iTunes referral links; the iMac has celebrated its tenth anniversary; and AppleInsider is giving away 500 free EverNote invites.

NBC's Zune deal hinges on anti-piracy filtering

NBC Universal's decision to offer TV shows at the Zune Marketplace has been largely motivated by its willingness to bend on anti-piracy measures, the New York Times states in a talk with NBC's digital media head, J. B. Perrette.

Microsoft confirms the report and says it has been evaluating a filtering method with the broadcast giant that would screen pirated copies of videos from Zune devices, similar to methods in the works by Google and others to prevent unauthorized uploads.

The Zune maker also was reportedly willing to back down on the matter of wholesale prices for TV shows, which lets NBC earn more for newer episodes while discounting older programming. Microsoft itself is charging customers a flat rate for shows but is absorbing any losses rather than increase the price.

By contrast, Apple has been unwilling to give on either point, according to Perrette. The Cupertino, Calif.-based company has declined any attempts to impose the anti-piracy filter on its iPods and is well known for pulling its NBC content from iTunes rather than agree to let NBC dictate its pricing for downloadable videos.

However, recent events have suggested Apple may offer a partial concession on pricing. The company's UK store began selling some NBC shows again at varying prices.

Update: Microsoft now claims it has no agreement for an NBC content filter, but doesn't explain why it was quoted as saying otherwise.

PA Semi snapped up to complete a new chip design?

Despite its own claims of a strictly asset-oriented buy, EETimes now says Apple's acquisition of PA Semi is motivated by the need to complete a future chip design.

Although Apple had been content with contracting the company for the design of the unnamed hardware, PA Semi had exhausted its venture capital backing and couldn't afford to produce the project on its own. Apple felt its project important enough to buy out PA Semi and bring the project into the company, says a purported source.

What Apple will produce is still uncertain. The technology may find its way into mobile graphics processors based on technology licenses obtained earlier by Apple, though the iPhone maker has often had its hand in the production of custom chips for other components of its products.

VMware intros Fusion 2 Beta 1

Virtualization software developer VMware this week introduced Fusion 2 Beta 1, an early look at the next major version of its software for running other operating systems inside Mac OS X.

The free download lets users run virtual machines with multiple displays and adds rough support for DirectX 9's Shader Model 2, which allows more recent games and other 3D software to run properly. Boot Camp partitions can also be converted into virtual machines, the company says, while a Windows virtual session can print directly from printers associated with the host Mac.

VMware ultimately intends to release version 2 as a free upgrade for existing owners.

iTunes referral links pop up on YouTube

In what appears to be a form of further collaboration between Apple and Google, viewers of some YouTube clips are now seeing links to buy related music from iTunes, such as with a new Kanye West video.

The option is currently limited to US visitors and is likely an extension of Apple's iTunes affiliate program.

iMac turns ten

Apple first announced the original iMac ten years ago this week.

The all-in-one computer is widely credited as saving Apple from a downward spiral after years of producing generic designs, and is also associated with re-injecting fashion and simple design into computers.

Users at the time complained of the lack of a floppy drive and the switch to using USB almost exclusively for peripherals -- a sharp break from Apple's reliance on SCSI and its in-house Apple Desktop Bus standard. The move was later regarded as forward-thinking and contributing to the iMac's ease of use.

Since its official launch in mid-August 1998, the iMac has gradually moved upscale in Apple's lineup, and in its aluminum, Intel-based form is now considered a "prosumer" model that caters to both home users as well as some professionals.

Performance has certainly changed as well: the 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo in today's fastest model is over thirteen times faster than the original 233MHz G3 in clock speed alone. Apple's newer models are also thinner and boast screens almost ten inches larger than the early 15-inch, CRT-based displays.

To this day, the iMac remains Apple's most popular desktop. Here's to ten more years.

Free Evernote invites

To help spread the word of its new info management software for the Mac and iPhone, Evernote has agreed to give away 500 free invites to the beta test of its utility.

The invites are available on first-come-first-serve basis.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Well

I can scratch a Zune off of my list of potential items to purchase. Never will you see my pay my hard earned money for a device that tries to play cop.

Zune can have NBC Universal for all I care.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    NBC prefers that portable devices play Gestapo? NBC can suck it.

They don't just want to strangle the golden goose, they want to back over it with a semi. Dolts.

• Reply 3 of 23
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

NBC prefers that portable devices play Gestapo? NBC can suck it.

They don't just want to strangle the golden goose, they want to back over it with a semi. Dolts. .

According to MacRumors, Microsoft says: ""Microsoft has no plans or commitments to implement content filtering features in the Zune family of devices as part of our content distribution deal with NBC," the software maker said in a statement."
  • Reply 4 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

According to MacRumors, Microsoft says: ""Microsoft has no plans or commitments to implement content filtering features in the Zune family of devices as part of our content distribution deal with NBC," the software maker said in a statement."

NBC Universal continues to look the latter half of dumb and dumber.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

NBC has persuaded Microsoft to filter out copyrighted material in its Zune jukebox while Apple refuses the same.

Should be quick - not much to filter!

Kind of poetic, the company who's technology created and legitimised copyright theft in the minds of a whole generation now wants to take it back. They've got about as much chance of succeeding as prohibition.

McD
  • Reply 6 of 23
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

My, that was quick of them. Hmm... I wonder who's telling the truth here?

• Reply 7 of 23
    The Zune has 4% of the market. NBC will make allot of money with that decision. If I was a stock holder, I would be looking for a new CEO.

Ed
  • Reply 8 of 23
    boobooq88boobooq88 Posts: 9member
    Quote:

VMware ultimately intends to release version 2 as a free upgrade for existing owners.

If this means what I think it means boy does that make me even happier that I chose VMWare over Parallels
  • Reply 9 of 23
    federmoosefedermoose Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boobooq88 View Post

If this means what I think it means boy does that make me even happier that I chose VMWare over Parallels

as a former parallels user: shush.

I paid the upgrade fee. Then I tried VMWare... soooo much better.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    NBC and MS seem to be so desperate. This is just another field where MS try to stick its nose, I see another market where MS losses money just for the sake of being in the portable media players market.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

as a former parallels user: shush.

I paid the upgrade fee. Then I tried VMWare... soooo much better.

I have to say, as a prior Parallels user, VMWare just seems more stable and has a more "solid" feeling to it than Parallels. Never anything weird or strange with VM. Parallels is probably on the way out.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I give it another year before NBC let's a certain person go.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Happy Birtday iMac!

"You say it's your birthday

It's my birthday too, yeah

They say it's you birthday

We're gonna have a good time

I'm glad it's your birthday

Happy birthday to you

Yes we're going to a party, party

Yes we're going to a party, party

Yes we're going to a party, party"
  • Reply 14 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boobooq88 View Post

I run both and must admit VMWare is really nice (if running Windows can ever be called nice haha). However, I hope both continue as the best reason for innovation is a good competition. My number one wish for either is the ability to fully support my graphics cards rather than an generic video emulation. I am running on the latest Mac Pro with two 8800s. I don't know much about this and I assume the problem is sharing the cards with the host. Now they are able to use two monitors I wonder if VMWare have now achieved this?
  • Reply 15 of 23
    markmark Posts: 143member
    The original iMac was the only product launch that made me show up at the store on day one (August 15th, 1998, to be exact.) People couldn't stop touching it. The store was sold out, naturally.

I remember speculating in the AI forums near the end of that year...Will the next iMac have a 17" CRT? What will it look like? Will it come in different colors? And where's the portable version? Blah blah blah...
  • Reply 16 of 23
    rspressrspress Posts: 31member
    Balmer said iPod users were a bunch of music thieves so I am sure all those Zune users will love him for making sure their content is legit and not like us iPod users.

I remember the day the iMac was released. It was the day I was married. Glad to say the iMac is still around.........the wife isn't.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    sandrosandro Posts: 21member
    So one of the benefits of the Zune would be that it polices my content for me? Will it report me to the FBI or RIAA too? Will it give evidence against me at trial? If it doesn't do so yet, how long before it does? Tell me again why anyone would be so stupid as to buy a Zune? Does anyone over at NBC have even a tiny hope of ever developing the ability of having a clue? They embrace a tiny platform that treats their customers like thieves and scorn the most popular music and video store on the planet? This is going to be fascinating to watch, like a slow motion train wreck.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    ammoniadammoniad Posts: 7member
    Quote:

Performance has certainly changed as well: the 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo in today's fastest model is over thirteen times faster than the original 233MHz G3 in clock speed alone.

AI come on... You know better than this! Why cite clock speeds as performance and further the misconception that clock speed actually means anything when comparing two different processors?

This is the misconception us Apple users have been battling for decades...
  • Reply 19 of 23
    jongleurjongleur Posts: 7member
    Just recently I was able to give a home an original BB iMac - it didn't even have the firmware upgrade, and was still running MOS8 on the 4GB HDD with 32MB.

Now it has 256MB and a surplused copy of OSX 10.3(.9) on a 6GB drive. It looks good beside my other collectors piece, a Cube. Both machines get regular (but not daily) use, and along with my PowerMac QS2002 make up my desktop contingent.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave View Post

Should be quick - not much to filter!

McD

i guess with the dozens of zune users out there, the cheapest way to do this would be to assign one of those secret service guys from the mac commercial ('cancel or allow') to each one...