Internet Explorer for Mac OSX

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Are there any plugins or something like that where you can view web pages in Internet Explorer?

I have both Safari and Firefox. Firefox has an IE view add-on, but it doesn't work with Max OSX. I don't want to have to run Boot Camp or similar product to run windows. I just want to see what web pages look like in IE when I am coding.

Cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Well, you can always run IE for Mac. Though it's old and hasn't been updated in a couple years, it still runs. I don't know that it gives you a fair representation of how the same page would render on IE on Windows though.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    You'll need to see if crossover can do it.

If not your best solution is Parallels or VMWare. I have VMWare and its excellent.

Edit. Just checked Codeweavers website and IE 5 and 6 are supposedly run pretty stable under Crossover.

Here's the link.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tri3 View Post

I just want to see what web pages look like in IE when I am coding.

This is what you are looking for:

http://www.kronenberg.org/ies4osx/
  • Reply 4 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giant View Post

This is what you are looking for:

http://www.kronenberg.org/ies4osx/

That's almost brilliant. I don't really like having to load up Parallels/VMWare to test sites. I just did a quick test and unfortunately it failed pretty quickly. If you go to the lightbox site and try out the version 2, it doesn't render the same as under Parallels/VMWare.

The whole point of testing under IE is to see how IE renders stuff. If there are any quirks that arise from other factors, it's just more variables to account for so I'd have to end up testing under Parallels anyway.

Still, for quick layout checks, it looks good - I use AJAX stuff and that seems to work fine so far, it even recognises the local OS X webserver. Some Flash components don't work properly though.

It will be very useful and if I can work out those issues, it would make my life a lot easier.

I recommend changing the homepage though, it seems to push the wineserver to 100% CPU.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    Would you like the last ever version of IE for Mac OSX which was 5.2.3 and works under Tiger 10.4.11 & oddly enough works fine under leopard 10.5.2 also.

Just lets know I have it on a dvd as a test if ever need I could upload it if needed.

This would give you IE on mac OSX to test with.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au View Post

Would you like the last ever version of IE for Mac OSX which was 5.2.3 and works under Tiger 10.4.11 & oddly enough works fine under leopard 10.5.2 also.

Just lets know I have it on a dvd as a test if ever need I could upload it if needed.

This would give you IE on mac OSX to test with.

That's not good for testing sites though because IE5 for Mac renders stuff differently from IE under Windows. IE for Mac is practically unsupported by website developers these days.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    drazztikkadrazztikka Posts: 240member
    Isn't it possible with VNC?

VNC Remote Desktop / Chicken of the VNC

If U don't have a windows computer ask someone who does that runs a seperate login account and leaves his computer runing all the time.

I don't know how VNC actually works, but if it sends over screen data, wouldn't it look exacly the same given that the screen reolutions are identical?

The article says U can see OSX on a windows, so I guess it'll work the other way around too.

From the article:

"VNC: it’s very cool, very useful, and very free.

As great as VNC is, it is not as secure as it could be, and it’s not recommended that you run VNC over the Internet without some kind of secure tunneling."

I don't know what they mean with security issues and what to do about them.

Anyone?