Job listings hint at multi-carrier iPhone in Australia, Brazil

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluetongue View Post

You're kidding we've been a client state for years, sport!

Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, McDonalds

Let Star Wars begin !

Steve Jobs didn't get the memo from Bush and Howard though. ...Maybe Steve's still worried all the iPhone shipments will be stolen by dingos.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwirob View Post

... Why would anybody want to buy a 3G iPhone only to be able to run it on Edge technology?

I think by the end of the year Apple won't be making any 2G phones, regardless of geography.... It will be backwards-compatible (hmm backwards and NZ in the same sentence...hmmm) to 2G. Just kidding about the NZ part...
  • Reply 23 of 34
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Nope, I think you will find the ability for New Zealanders to claim Aussie benefits was changed a long time ago

That's right, they claimed it all and there isn't any left. The women thing I can understand though, there are no women in NZ, only nervous sheep.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I think by the end of the year Apple won't be making any 2G phones, regardless of geography.... It will be backwards-compatible (hmm backwards and NZ in the same sentence...hmmm) to 2G. Just kidding about the NZ part...

I think there is room for 2G in a "low end" phone, since it will require a smaller battery and cheaper components, half the patent licensing costs, etc.

"Backwards compatible" refers to which way one is facing, in NZ. I hear everyone is backwards compatible there.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A similar pattern is emerging with job listings for Brazil. Apple job entries for Carrier Certification Engineers in lead and general roles, as well as a third for a Field Test Engineer, also indicate that any of the future employees will be asked to help approve the touchscreen handsets for more than one provider.

The South American country has so far only been given iPhone support from America Movil's local division, Claro, but could potentially be served by carriers such as Brasil Telecom, Oi, Vivo, or Telecom Italia's Brazilian operation, TIM Celular. TIM is already poised to offer the iPhone in its native Italy, but hasn't announced any foreign agreements.

As a Brazilian Electrical Engineer with working experience on Software Engineering and

GSM Networks and AppleInsider reader for a few years, thanks for providing me information

about where to send my resume (I am really applying for this job).

iPhone market mind here in Sao Paulo if somewhat close to frenetic. You can spot it

everywhere, despite not being sold on regular stores, for it is a defice without

certification with local government spectrum controller agency (our version of FCC).

Last month, saw two guys using an iPhone on a rock concert. Yesterday, went to a

cell phone shop to buy a flip for my wife's V3 (sorry guys, she _loves_ the V3...

women! :-). The guy next to me on the line was returning a SIM Card that refused

to work on his iPhone (hope he bought a unlocked device or he knew the right

procedure to get the job done).

But, overall, most Brazilians can't afford to buy an expensive phone like this.

Apple will have lots of users with bucks to spend, but it won't see an expressive

market usage.

Money here is not spent on electronic goods, but on housing, food, transportation

and medical care. People who can afford such a device are highly educated businessmen

or technicians.

Nevertheless, being an Apple "funatic" (my first computer, an Apple ][c is still in operational conditions

somewhere in my closet), I'm thrilled for this launch, as it may lead to exposing the Apple brand

to more users, turning them into "switchers" to the Mac platform.

A final advice. Please, Apple, think about planning a plant to _assembly_

the products locally. The huge price gap that stand behind local

Apple prices and the competition will decline and sales will increase sharply.

A final prevision about PA Semi:

- tablet Mac (aka Newton strikes back)

- game console, integrated with iPhone (wireless joystick, with

visual feedback or even iPhone users running stripped down

multiplayer games)

Thanks for reading.

Marcus Andree, technically oriented miracles maker.

Apple ][c 128KB

Powermac 6500 300MHz/128MB/20GB

Powerbook G3 266MHz/512MB/40GB

Powerbook G4 866/640MB/80GB

MacMini 1.86GHz/1GB/80GB
  • Reply 26 of 34
    icebox_bricebox_br Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marcusandree View Post

As a Brazilian Electrical Engineer with working experience on Software Engineering and GSM Networks and AppleInsider reader for a few years, thanks for providing me information about where to send my resume (I am really applying for this job).

Go, Marcus!

I am also a brazilian Mac and iPhone user (on TIM's network). I also own an iPod, a MacBook, two Minis and am planning on switching my entire business to Macs (really easy, just 5 computers).

I would really love not be an outlaw anymore and use my iPhone with more pride than I already do.

I wish you the best luck on getting this job at Apple. I have friends over there, one in São Paulo, other in Apple Latin America (Miami, FL).

Best regards,

_iCeb0x_
  • Reply 27 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Not that anyone cares, but I'll be heading to Brasil for 6-9 months to learn Portuguese and travel next year. I'll have a flat in Sao Paulo and then will travel around S. America from that "command center. I've heard stories about the crime so I'm not to keen to bring down my valued and much needed electronics. Except for my Tom Tom which doesn't have street maps of the country.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not that anyone cares, but I'll be heading to Brasil for 6-9 months to learn Portuguese and travel next year. I'll have a flat in Sao Paulo and then will travel around S. America from that "command center. I've heard stories about the crime so I'm not to keen to bring down my valued and much needed electronics. Except for my Tom Tom which doesn't have street maps of the country.

On a secret spy mission? Good luck, agent Solipsism.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

On a secret spy mission? Good luck, agent Solipsism.

I'm more like Q than a double-0 agent which my excessive travel gadgets. I only wish I had gone when the dollar was stronger; hopefully things will be better by 2009. \ I even had a Brasilian friend who wanted me to bring him a digital camera telling me to forget it now that the dollar has dropped as much as it has. Really depressing!
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:

I'm more like Q than a double-0 agent which my excessive travel gadgets. I only wish I had gone when the dollar was stronger; hopefully things will be better by 2009. \ I even had a Brasilian friend who wanted me to bring him a digital camera telling me to forget it now that the dollar has dropped as much as it has. Really depressing!

Actually, a weak dollar is not as bad as you think.

Market tends to regulate itself against external forces.

Signs of recession can act on exchange rates, but a weak

american dollar means "made in USA" products more attractive to foreign markets.

The US could, and certainly will, use this to earn vast amounts of money.

Then, as I said, the market will regulate itself again: more people buying US products

means more US dollars being exchanged for local currencies. This will result in a

stronger dollar. Net effect: US market came back to "normal" life.

The US should worry about China. Not a weak dollar. We spent an entire decade

with our local money devalued to 3 or 4 times its "normal" value and we survived. You

can do the same, if China allows you to, of course.

But be very welcome to the southern cross lands, agent 00-solipsism-Q, i.e., if

you decide to accept your mission!

Don't forget to drop me a line if you need a good reference for a local beer house.

Cheers!
  • Reply 31 of 34
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

As a Brazilian that has lived in São Paulo for many years (now working in Europe), I can tell you that violence in that town is kinda overhyped. It's a huge town and OF COURSE there is gonna be crime...but not as "in your face" as many tend to think after reading the news. Indeed, São Paulo is WAY less violent than towns like Baltimore or Washington, DC.

If you live in a normal neighborhood and take common sense care, you can bring whatever electronics you wish. Brazil is a wonderful country in general and one of the strongest economies of the world, as well as world-leading levels of industrial production and energy production matrix.

Thankfully, LONG gone are the days when people would consider Brazil as the land of football, Carnival and dark people (only). It's a multicultural melting pot, with a vibrant market and excellent growth prospects, where you can easily find German and Italian speaking towns in the South, rich fields and urban areas in the Southeast/Center as well as the usual Indigenous traditions and landscapes in the North.

Moreover, a country where people are purchasing stuff as never before, with rapidly decreasing inequality coefficients and more and more numerous middle- and upper-class populations.

Apple is MORE than late with the iPhone in Brazil, which already has more than 300,000 unlocked units sold without any warranty from the company...go there and enjoy, I am sure you will like it.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    monkeyastronautmonkeyastronaut Posts: 1,343member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALPICH View Post

When I was but a little child at School Australia was always stated as the largest island and the smallest continent. But only about 3 months ago I found out that Australia is no longer considered an island.

One day I am fairly certain that Earth will be a comet, The sun will be just a gas giant and we will find out we are all revolving around a giant space panda bear.

LOL

forget the apple insight. this is what keeps me coming back to appleinsider.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

I think there is room for 2G in a "low end" phone, since it will require a smaller battery and cheaper components, half the patent licensing costs, etc.

I agree there's room.

In fact, if 3G ends up being a little thicker than the current iPhone (2nd camera, 3G, GPS, bigger battery), a modernised 2G could be cheaper and half the thickness... and incredibly popular.

I'm merging multiple rumors to say 2 phones. A 2G (nano-coloured) 2.8inch iPhone and a 3G phone slightly thicker as rumoured.

I wonder if we'll see a new iPod Touch, and whether it'll have any phone features.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I think by the end of the year Apple won't be making any 2G phones, regardless of geography

How do you know they are making any 2G phones right now?