Online Apple Stores run dry of iPhones

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Often seen as the last reliable sources for iPhones, Apple's online stores in the US and UK have stopped taking orders for any model of the device.

Visitors to the phone's section at either regional store are greeted with brief notices that both the 8GB and 16GB models are "Currently Unavailable," without any expectations set for when the iPhone will return for direct purchases.

The change follows multiple weeks during which the American website had already cited delays of between five to seven days for new orders.

Apple's shortfall for its direct channel is also the culmination of a slowly widening shortage that first became evident in late March, when stores in New York City began having trouble carrying the devices -- a supply problem which eventually spread to all US retail and has only been partly resolved in the near term.

European carrier and reseller stores, once thought to have been overstocked due to lackluster demand, have themselves seen a rush of sales after significant price cuts brought out previously reluctant buyers in the UK and Germany. O2 has claimed intermittent availability of even the full-price 16GB version in recent days.

For its part, Apple has said when discussing its latest financial results that it expects continued shortages in the near future, but perceives its supply problem as evidence of strong demand.

Most analysts and observers now estimate that Apple will only truly recover from the shortages with the launch of its next-generation iPhone, which is widely predicted to surface in June.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    3G iPhone is immenant. This Tuesday.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post

3G iPhone is immenant. This Tuesday.

Without any kind of press event to introduce it? Extremely unlikely.
  • Reply 3 of 68
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

Without any kind of press event to introduce it? Extremely unlikely.

Might turn out to be a 3G upgrade only! \
  • Reply 4 of 68
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    No.

Steve will roll out the phone with great fanfare.

It will not be this tuesday
  • Reply 5 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Might turn out to be a 3G upgrade only! \

Maybe, but still unlikely. I find it more likely that 3G iPhone will be announced at the WWDC and it will be released Friday, June 27th at 5pm. J think the reason the 2.5G version is unavailable is because they are discontinuing that model completely and under assumed the supply demands which were heightened by the EU telcos discounting the device.
  • Reply 6 of 68
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

No.

Steve will roll out the phone with great fanfare.

You're right. They only roll out the unimportant things without fanfare... you know, like computers.
  • Reply 7 of 68
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    Can't imagine anybody would think it will be more than a few days that an iphone would be unavailable. A few is three or more . Maybe this will drive the prices up on ebay.
  • Reply 8 of 68
    guscatguscat Posts: 59member
    I expected Apple to wait until next month to release the phones, but I also find it very hard to believe that they will be out of phones for roughly a month, almost 2 months if they don't release them until the end of June as so many people are speculating. Doing that would kill off so much of the phone's momentum.
  • Reply 9 of 68
    citycity Posts: 522member
    iPhone didn't sell well and will be discontinued altogether!
  • Reply 10 of 68
    poopedpooped Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

iPhone didn't sell well and will be discontinued altogether!

• Reply 11 of 68
    sigs21sigs21 Posts: 82member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooped View Post

It does not matter when they release it.. the buzz will be nuts from the WSJ to CNN to local TV... but I am sure they will make a big deal of Version Number two...

Steve will milk all the free media he can get with out actually talking to the Media...
  • Reply 12 of 68
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    If this is all true, the real story here is two things: (1) Stunningly good demand forecasting and inventory management (with consequently massive positive cash flow implications) - assuming iPhone 2.0 is less than a few weeks away; (2) Whoever says that that iPhone 1.0 wasn't a mega-hit is plainly clueless: Apple appears to have sold exactly the number they intended to. (I don't think that it was a supply adjustment on their part).

This is all just HUGE, folks. I am rethinking my decision to stop buying at $160 (although, I seriously doubt that I will reverse that decision).
  • Reply 13 of 68
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Apple is making it crystal-clear, don't buy an iPhone now, there's something better coming. They're being smart, trying to protect themselves from the crybabies wanting refunds. But watch, there will *still* be tears.
  • Reply 14 of 68
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

You're right. They only roll out the unimportant things without fanfare... you know, like computers.

Nah. They are smart. They only roll out things to fanfare that justify, feed, feed on, and enhance the media hype (and the resultant free advertising).

In the process, they sell more computers too.
  • Reply 15 of 68
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    32GB, 3G, OLED-screened iPhones with real GPS, front-facing camera, rear 3MP snapper with flash, better reception, 3 color choices and full aluminum shell all for $299

• Reply 16 of 68
    sigs21sigs21 Posts: 82member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guscat View Post

I expected Apple to wait until next month to release the phones, but I also find it very hard to believe that they will be out of phones for roughly a month, almost 2 months if they don't release them until the end of June as so many people are speculating. Doing that would kill off so much of the phone's momentum.

EVERONE bought there MOM one here in the states...

3g by fathers Day
  • Reply 17 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Apple is making it crystal-clear, don't buy an iPhone now, there's something better coming. They're being smart, trying to protect themselves from the crybabies wanting refunds. But watch, there will *still* be tears.

That's not the reason. It's a psychological, marketing game. This is how they start the buzz, and I can wait cause I already have an iPhone
  • Reply 18 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guscat View Post

WWDC is in exactly a month, not two months.
  • Reply 19 of 68
    orion99orion99 Posts: 11member
    Stumbled across a 3G iPhone release in May rumor from a fews weeks ago.
  • Reply 20 of 68
    I just checked and the local stores around here still have them. Apple is trying drive people into the stores to soak up those last drops of profit and to signal a warning, if you really want it now, know that another is coming out soon. Cheers.