Online Apple Stores run dry of iPhones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orion99 View Post

Stumbled across a 3G iPhone release in May rumor from a fews weeks ago.

That's a really interesting rumor! Thanks for digging this one up orion99!

It makes a lot of sense IMHO.

Everyone and their friend can guess what iPhone 2 will be like. The hardware will be evolutionary different and we've seen the OS demoed by Apple, there's even a public SDK. In a nutshell: not much to gain from introducing this with much fanfare again. That'll be a mild yawner. So it can be done via a simple press event somewhen in May.

On the other hand if Apple is really serious about establishing a mobile OS X platform, what better time than to introduce a third mobile device running it at WWDC? This would send a clear message to developers, that Apple is having big plans for mobile OS X. That it is not just for phones and music players, but a true new platform with already 3 kinds of devices, implying more to come.

That should persuade a few more developers to try the new platform! And it's all about the available software...
  • Reply 22 of 68
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    I can't see Apple releasing the new iPhone before June. The 2.0 software is released in June so having new hardware before then would be silly. Would they release a 3G iPhone with the current 1.x OS?
  • Reply 23 of 68
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

I can't see Apple releasing the new iPhone before June. The 2.0 software is released in June so having new hardware before then would be silly. Would they release a 3G iPhone with the current 1.x OS?

Not to be ignorant, but is there any reason they can't release the 2.0 software early too? Promise June, Deliver May--That in itself might make news for a computer company (I mean a tech company)...
  • Reply 24 of 68
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

32GB, 3G, OLED-screened iPhones with real GPS, front-facing camera, rear 3MP snapper with flash, better reception, 3 color choices and full aluminum shell all for $299

I'll take 3 .
  • Reply 25 of 68
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

Nothing says the new phones wouldn't have 2.0 and the upgrade for 1.0 phones isn't available until June.
  • Reply 26 of 68
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Not to be ignorant, but is there any reason they can't release the 2.0 software early too? Promise June, Deliver May--That in itself might make news for a computer company (I mean a tech company)...

Yes, because it's not finished.
  • Reply 27 of 68
    gto65lgto65l Posts: 42member
    Nintendo has already cashed in on the Out of Stock marketing strategy for the last year and a half. Nothing builds hype and press like not being able to find a product. As the shortage persists, more and more people will be talking about the iPhone again, wondering what the heck is going on, and I'm sure Steve will be more than happy to answer that question at the WWDC. The iPhone SDK, the iPhone 2.0, and one last thing (whatever it is, it will be cool, and everyone will want one).
  • Reply 28 of 68
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    The iPhones will not ship until mid June, I think that much is certain. But I would find it extremely odd if Apple left a one month availability gap with no announcement. If the Apple intended on making the iPhone a big segment of WWDC, it would be rather difficult to move that up. That being said, we should hear some announcement about the iPhone in the next week or two even if it's just a non-specific teaser on their website to keep people interested.

Quote:

32GB, 3G, OLED-screened iPhones with real GPS, front-facing camera, rear 3MP snapper with flash, better reception, 3 color choices and full aluminum shell all for $299

There really isn't a significant reason to have an OLED screen in the iPhone yet. The benefits of OLED-screens are (slightly) better power consumption, ability to have a flexible screen (not applicable for the iPhone), greater angle of view, more responsive, and true black and more accurate colors.

Greater angle of view doesn't really matter because the iPhone is a portable device and therefore can be moved easily to a good angle of view. Faster refresh rate doesn't really matter because the data storage isn't large enough for HD movies yet. The darker blacks and more accurate colors is nice, but it's not a very tangible improvement on such a small screen. The better power consumption isn't the most significant of all of the advantages, but again, the difference isn't that big with the current generation of OLED screens.

And the big disadvantage of OLED screens? Much shorter lifespan than LCDs.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

WWDC is in exactly a month, not two months.

The WWDC is, but if Apple follows it's release schedule from last year and using the AT&T vacation memo as a confirmation, it will be released in 8 weeks on June 27th @ 5pm.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

None at all, if the 2,0 software is released before the 3G iPhone it should entice even more people to stand in line for the 3G iPhone, especially if the 2G version is completely unavalable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gto65l View Post

Nintendo has already cashed in on the Out of Stock marketing strategy for the last year and a half. Nothing builds hype and press like not being able to find a product. As the shortage persists, more and more people will be talking about the iPhone again, wondering what the heck is going on, and I'm sure Steve will be more than happy to answer that question at the WWDC. The iPhone SDK, the iPhone 2.0, and one last thing (whatever it is, it will be cool, and everyone will want one).

That only works up to a point. For every day you aren't selling an item you are losing revenue.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:

If only that were the new iPhone's hardware specs. Apple would have to up their 2009 sales forecast to 100,000,000.

I'm still hoping a flip version with 3 OLED screens and 2 high-rez cameras comes out, but that's just me.
  • Reply 31 of 68
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

You're right. They only roll out the unimportant things without fanfare... you know, like computers.

That sounds a little pouty to me. And it's not really true, there isn't as much inconsistency as you suggest.

If the change is minor, like a speed "bump", it doesn't need fanfare. A 2.4 GHz to 2.5 GHz chip or other simple spec update isn't worth a press event. They didn't give the 16 GB iPhone or 32 GB Touch a press event. But when they change the ipods, they do have a press event. If a computer is redesigned or has a major change, then there's a press event or it is announced at a major gathering of some kind, like MacWorld SF or WWDC.

Besides, the computers are selling pretty well.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    this MAY be a wii-like shortage that will boost press coverage and increase demand, but i think it's an honest underestimation of how well the current model would sell in it's last months. the idea that they're covering their butts from those who might buy version one the day before version two is released is another interesting theory. still, IMO they just grossly underestimated how quickly their remaining stock would sell... i wonder if they'll order another 100,000 to keep everyone fed for now - or is it already too late to do so.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

this MAY be a wii-like shortage that will boost press coverage and increase demand, but i think it's an honest underestimation of how well the current model would sell in it's last months. the idea that they're covering their butts from those who might buy version one the day before version two is released is another interesting theory. still, IMO they just grossly underestimated how quickly their remaining stock would sell... i wonder if they'll order another 100,000 to keep everyone fed for now - or is it already too late to do so.

If they planned on having X amount to feed the desire of people, then they would have stopped production the day that they reached X amount. And if the iPhone is currently sold out then they're not going to order more because more than likely they're using that same assembly line for the newer iPhone and will no longer make the olders one.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    delfoniqdelfoniq Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's online stores in the US and UK have stopped taking orders for any model of the device.

This makes sense. Apple has completely dried up it's current 1st generation iPhone stock starting May 9, 2008 so that people can't return their old iPhone demanding a full refund.

Anyone has any doubt that they will start selling the 2nd generation iPhone even earlier than June 9, 2008

BTW I broke the story first at 4 am this morning, about 8 hours before AI did!

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=86834

Ready to capitalize on my tax stimulus rebate
  • Reply 35 of 68
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

The iPhones will not ship until mid June, I think that much is certain. But I would find it extremely odd if Apple left a one month availability gap with no announcement. If the Apple intended on making the iPhone a big segment of WWDC, it would be rather difficult to move that up. That being said, we should hear some announcement about the iPhone in the next week or two even if it's just a non-specific teaser on their website to keep people interested.

There really isn't a significant reason to have an OLED screen in the iPhone yet. The benefits of OLED-screens are (slightly) better power consumption, ability to have a flexible screen (not applicable for the iPhone), greater angle of view, more responsive, and true black and more accurate colors.

Greater angle of view doesn't really matter because the iPhone is a portable device and therefore can be moved easily to a good angle of view. Faster refresh rate doesn't really matter because the data storage isn't large enough for HD movies yet. The darker blacks and more accurate colors is nice, but it's not a very tangible improvement on such a small screen. The better power consumption isn't the most significant of all of the advantages, but again, the difference isn't that big with the current generation of OLED screens.

You completely misstate the benefits of an OLED screen. Firstly these screens are much thinner, they don't need a back light and stand to use a lot less power. Power consumption is probably the most important metric for handhelds since it affects size and usability. They are also much more attractive than than LCD screens. And the life span issues don't really count on a handheld device since so one is expecting to use them for 10 years.

But having said that, OLED manufacturing isn't really up to scratch, so I can't see Apple or any other volume seller of gadgets using them right now.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    Apple have made quite a gamble introducing themselves into the Mobile Phone market, however most electrical companies are doing this now.

It is however a bold move for Apple, but they were inevitably going to invent something dead cool to expand their Empire further.

As with mobile phones these days, they are no longer an exclusive text and phone communications device. Nowadays they have MP3 players, GPS, loudspeakers, Bluetooth, WIFI etc, therefore fusing an ipod with a phone, is going to be a winner and has been.

Apple have to make a big song and dance about their Mark II iphone, as they need a platform to look back and say to people, ?look at what we have accomplished and look at the improved version ? aren?t we clever?.

They need to appeal to a wider market, i.e. business users and the younger generation. I believe it would be a mistake to limit the phone to only one provider as we have here in the UK.

And where the hell is the new Mac mini????????????????

Hang on!

Mac Mini and iphone?

Oh God ? you can see where this is heading!

I can just see Steve Jobs now, ?Introducing the new iphone, with a built in Superdrive!?.
  • Reply 37 of 68
    phlakephlake Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GavinScrimgeour View Post

I can just see Steve Jobs now, ?Introducing the new iphone, with a built in Superdrive!?.

That would be one huge-ass phone, don't you think?
  • Reply 38 of 68
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Except for all the significant reasons you outline above

In any event OLED screens would be a big win.

Quote:

-----The better power consumption isn't the most significant of all of the advantages, but again, the difference isn't that big with the current generation of OLED screens.

I snipped the bogus stuff above but really had to highlight that ever little bit of power savings makes a huge difference on portable devices.

Quote:

which doesn't really matter much when just about every iPhone made is scheduled to be replaced by the rabid masses intent on getting the latest from Apple.

If Apple delivers an OLED iPhone that is a folder, with a significantly larger screen, I will jump for joy.

Dave
  • Reply 39 of 68
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    As Engadget reports something is afoot. Apple cannot afford to leave retail channels empty of inventory for a whole month. Hell, it's almost 10% of the annual sales period. They'd be crazy.

No, I think this signifies that Apple is about to launch two new iPhones. One should arrive within days, the other will be launched at the WWDC. If this is the case, it will be fascinating to see how they differ. Of course, I may be wrong. But Apple needs a new iPhone now and it needs to be able to launch something iPhone-related with a fanfare at WWDC.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    3goldens3goldens Posts: 34member
    Apple just decided to take a month and a half off from selling phones....

RIGHT!