3D architectural program

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey Everybody!

I have found something may be interesting for you! If you are an architect or an architectural student, you can use this free software, called ArchiCAD. This is an architectural design application with 3D modeling capability. You can use most of the 3D objects to make render highly recommended!!! They also have a Interactive Training Guide with which you can see the Massaro house design inside, and you can build it by your self. The best part that you can even have an ArchiCAD 11 trial version...

Click here to try ArchiCAD:

https://trialregistration.graphisoft.com/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archicsof View Post

Hey Everybody!

I have found something may be interesting for you! If you are an architect or an architectural student, you can use this free software, called ArchiCAD. This is an architectural design application with 3D modeling capability. You can use most of the 3D objects to make render highly recommended!!! They also have a Interactive Training Guide with which you can see the Massaro house design inside, and you can build it by your self. The best part that you can even have an ArchiCAD 11 trial version...

Click here to try ArchiCAD:

https://trialregistration.graphisoft.com/

In addition to this being a spam post, ArchiCAD has to be one of the worst programs for designing any kind of architecture that's better than Long Island Shingle-style claptrap. AutoCAD is cluky and feature-limited in many ways, but at least it does not go out of its way to limit your creativity.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post

In addition to this being a spam post, ArchiCAD has to be one of the worst programs for designing any kind of architecture that's better than Long Island Shingle-style claptrap. AutoCAD is cluky and feature-limited in many ways, but at least it does not go out of its way to limit your creativity.

Huh? That's one of the more ignorant posts I've read around here.

http://www.graphisoft.co.jp/communit...s/richard.html

Hardly "Long Island Shingle-style claptrap".
  • Reply 3 of 4
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

Huh? That's one of the more ignorant posts I've read around here.

http://www.graphisoft.co.jp/communit...s/richard.html

Hardly "Long Island Shingle-style claptrap".

Ignorant? I used it for years, including through their free student deal, which they terminated for while when they decided that my college didn't exist, and it was maddening. When I actually had to start detailing buildings, it became counter-intuitive. I was twice as fast drawing by hand, even correcting mistakes, which is not the case with Revit/AutoCAD, VectorWorks, or modeling software.

The human side of creativity creates bad design, but it's frustrating and disillusioning when the tools are poor. You're welcome to disagree with me, and show me examples of work produced with it, but it performed poorly for me.

Sure, you can make anything you want in ArchiCAD. I never said that you can't. All I meant was that the UI was painfully cramped, shortcuts were confusing, and the design interface seemed to want me to go to the most conservative forms.

Its technical prowess at Structural and MEP drawing are very good, but still hard to use. The treatment of elements not just as drawings but also good, and it's the future of architecture, but I felt it was too restricting in most cases. The problem is that ArchiCAD babies you too much. It always guides you to produce something, which leads to a conflict with design processes and ultimately makes it difficult to think outside the parameters of the presets. ArchiCAD was miles away from everything else when it was introduced 20 years ago, but it hasn't delivered ease of use with its BIM services.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    It's not spam if it's free software...what does he hope to gain? Some people might actuallly be interested in it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post