New MacBooks: will the distinction between Pro and non-Pro models be irrelevant?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

Just a week ago, I read a test where integrated graphics from ATi and nVidia on desktop motherboards proved to eat *less* power than those from Intel while delivering better performance. It's not exactly surprising, as Intel doesn't come close to the know-how those companies have in graphics.

I haven't kept up, but Hypermemory and Turbocache parts used to hold the performance crown in ~$50 stand-alone cards at some point. It's good technology and makes sense at times when all dedicated memory is too expensive. Having 64MB of VRAM with help from HM/TC is a lot better than having no dedicated VRAM at all. Only an app with no VRAM coherency wouldn't receive a big boost from it. Not sure what such an app would be.

I agree with the general sentiment that graphics should come in clear tiers, for the simple reason that in-between models don't really enable you to do anything different, but still cost more and eat more power. So possible applications should decide the tiers. IMO, the Radeon 2600 Pro in the iMacs is a failure in this regard. The 2400XT does almost the same things, and if you want more, then you want the 8800GS, not an outdated part like the 2600.

As long as the Macbook costs as much as it does, it *really* should come at least with some dedicated memory (with HM/TC if there's little of it) and cooling that can handle continous 3D acceleration without audible straining. A low end model with no dedicated memory would be fine too.

link?

The new ati chip 740g, 780g and 790GX can us Side-port memory and ATI Hybrid Graphics. Nvidia new chip sets on board video are better then intel as well.

Intel needs side port ram in there on board video.

and the macbook black at $1500 is a joke with GMA video and a 13" screen
  • Reply 22 of 24
    nembalnembal Posts: 1member
    Hi, what do you think, when will come out the the MB/MBP series?

Is it possible, that the WWDC is the place, where its appear?

thx
  • Reply 23 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nembal View Post

Hi, what do you think, when will come out the the MB/MBP series?

Is it possible, that the WWDC is the place, where its appear?

thx

No I don't think either will be that soon.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No I don't think either will be that soon.

I disagree. I fully expect the WWDC to be MacWorld (Part Deux) with significant hardware releases. Sure there'll be lots about the iPhone and iPhone SDK AND v2.0 software, but Apple's core laptop line-up is way overdue for serious refreshment. They've announced that new models are on the way and with Montevina/ Centrino 2 due any day, Apple's competitors will all be readying new models.

So, I certainly expect to see the new MacBook Pro range, but maybe we'll get a new MacBook too. I may be wrong, and this belief is based on speculation not hard fact, but if I'm wrong then it'll be July, not September.