Does anyone else have a problem with the 3G iPhone being made out of plastic?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I love my metallic iPhone. It has a robust feeling of quality and durability about it. I'm not sure i want to replace it with a revolting black plastic 3G version. if what we have seen so far is indicative of what will arrive, i can't say that I am likely to be n any kind of a hurry to get one. From what I have seen iphone 2.0 looks cheap and flimsy. I am I alone in this view or do other iPhone users feel the same way? I'm interested to hear. In the meantime, let's hope all pictures seen are fakes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The pictures bandied about have been of a 3rd party case for the current iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    I prefer plastic, if done right. Aluminum is cold to the touch (unless warmed up by the innards filling an MBP).

And yeah, the "spy pics" have not been ordered down yet, so they are not in any way authentic. If they were, Apple Legal would have crushed them by now.

If they were only so efficient in getting their quality control improved along with getting their call and customer relations centers in Japan working right...
  • Reply 3 of 21
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

From what I have seen iphone 2.0 looks cheap and flimsy.

You've seen nothing.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    I am quite skeptical it is plastic. Apple as several patents for a metallicised ceramic that was specifically designed with phone antennas in mind. It is far more likely the manufacturing process for that is finally ready.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    All hail radio transparent ceramics!
  • Reply 6 of 21
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:

From what I have seen iphone 2.0 looks cheap and flimsy.

Surely iPhone 2.0 is software?!
  • Reply 7 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Yes, but this is not plastic:

It's aluminum.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

I love my metallic iPhone. It has a robust feeling of quality and durability about it.

Do realize that the metallic shell has almost nothing to do with that feel.

Quote:

I'm not sure i want to replace it with a revolting black plastic 3G version.

You haven't even seen it so how do you know it will be revolting? Further you might be surprised to find out that a plastic housing will actually improve the iPhone.

Quote:

if what we have seen so far is indicative of what will arrive, i can't say that I am likely to be n any kind of a hurry to get one.

Like a good woman what will make or break it for me is what is on the inside. If the right feature set is built in the case will make little difference. In any event I will repeat you don't know what is coming, for all we know it could be a folder with an OLED sceen.

Quote:

From what I have seen iphone 2.0 looks cheap and flimsy. I am I alone in this view or do other iPhone users feel the same way?

Actually I'm pretty disgusted right now with your attitude, as you seem to be stirring the pot based on nothing but wild guesses and questionable information.

Quote:

I'm interested to hear. In the meantime, let's hope all pictures seen are fakes.

I can understand being excited about iPhone 2 and what it may offer but now simply isn't the time to go off the deep end about its appearance. Because we simply don't know what it will look like. Further we don't know how many models Apple may be offering up. The current IPhone form factor could simply be retooled as the low end model.

In fact it makes a lot of sense for Apple to do just that. That is to offer up a very low cost version of the current iPhone and introduce something more advanced on a different platform. This allows them to expand into low cost markets, while serving the rest of the world with a truly impressive smart phone.

Dave
  • Reply 9 of 21
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    The iPod used to have an iconic look: a rectangular shape with a square screen filling the upper half and a circular clickwheel filling the lower half. With a few lines you could draw a shape that everyone would recognize as an iPod.

Does anyone else think that it is a loss to see the iPod become 'generic' looking? The iPod touch now looks like so many PMPs out there, the shape or physical features no longer immediately identify it as an iPod.

I hope that the iPhone will not follow this 'generic' looking trend. The aluminium shell was actually rather unique, as was the metal shiny rim.

For the sake of establishing a new 'iconic look' with the iPhone I hope Apple does not change these features in the second version.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

The iPod used to have an iconic look: a rectangular shape with a square screen filling the upper half and a circular clickwheel filling the lower half. With a few lines you could draw a shape that everyone would recognize as an iPod.

Does anyone else think that it is a loss to see the iPod become 'generic' looking? The iPod touch now looks like so many PMPs out there, the shape or physical features no longer immediately identify it as an iPod.

I hope that the iPhone will not follow this 'generic' looking trend. The aluminium shell was actually rather unique, as was the metal shiny rim.

For the sake of establishing a new 'iconic look' with the iPhone I hope Apple does not change these features in the second version.

good call. lets also go back to an actual click wheel and black and white screen to make sure no one continues to innovate.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post

good call. lets also go back to an actual click wheel and black and white screen to make sure no one continues to innovate.

To be fair you are twisting his point. But personally I don't think its supposed generic look, is actually generic. All other phones have more buttons on the front. What sets the iPhone apart it its large screen and single home button, and the sexy shape of the device and materials used. It's minimal yes, but ultimately instantly recognizable in my opinion. It think it just redefined the iconography. And that bold statement those icons make on the 'home screen' was a first for a phone too. It was ballsy to keep the home screen that simple, and it worked.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    I am relieved that we can ignore the pictures of the new iPhone published so far.

All of them, had they been real, would have represented a step backwards. I guess Apple's track record means we should more faith in them. I am sure the next gen model will be superb.

Rather like the excellent MacBook Pro which has soldiered on in the same enclosure for years now, why change something that works?

If I were to change one thing about the iPhone it would be to make the back entirely out of aluminium instead of having a sliver of black plastic.

What are the chances of a genuine picture appearing before the launch? Zero I suspect.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,457member
    Quote:

...why change something that works?

Absolutely. And if you are going to change it, make sure you change it to something that is better. I hate seeing products change to something inferior just for the sake of it being "new". New is not equal to better and people that think it is are clueless.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    It continues to amaze me that the photo above and others like it continue to get any attention on the web. Has no one heard of colorware??

And what about Jobs going on about how aluminum and glass are such great materials to build products out of because of recycling and other 'reasons'?

Seems pretty easy to spot this as a fake.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

Absolutely. And if you are going to change it, make sure you change it to something that is better. I hate seeing products change to something inferior just for the sake of it being "new". New is not equal to better and people that think it is are clueless.

Some might argue that a metal enclosure for a small device full of material-sensitive antennae might not be 'better' than a radio-transparent plastic.

Just saying.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:

If I were to change one thing about the iPhone it would be to make the back entirely out of aluminium instead of having a sliver of black plastic.

That's not going to do wonders for the signal reception is it?
  • Reply 17 of 21
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

That's not going to do wonders for the signal reception is it?

Nothing that a popup antenna can't fix!

We really don't know what the 3G iPhone will look like. Apple hasn't demanded that any of the pictures be taken down. That in itself is indicative that these pictures that have been bandied around are not what they are claimed to be. Either hoaxes or 3rd party cases.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider

Apple hasn't demanded that any of the pictures be taken down.

I can't remember Apple asking those keyboard photos to be taken down. Those white ones could be real. Not that the iPhone will be white, likely a silver model, possibly a black one too.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    Based on the stories that have appeared today, re: AT&T black etc. do the great and the good assembled on this illustrious forum think a black plastic iPhone is more or less likely?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I prefer plastic, if done right. Aluminum is cold to the touch (unless warmed up by the innards filling an MBP).

And yeah, the "spy pics" have not been ordered down yet, so they are not in any way authentic. If they were, Apple Legal would have crushed them by now.

If they were only so efficient in getting their quality control improved along with getting their call and customer relations centers in Japan working right...

stop rubbing it on yourself when yer neeked.