HBO shows coming to iTunes under new pricing structure?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    djames42djames42 Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

How do the HD movies look on a big screen? I don't have an AppleTV so can't see for myself. The current TV shows are a bit fuzzy, but they are actually better on my 1080p plasma that I thought they'd be and are better than many cable SD shows.

I can't really compare it to the HD offerings from Comcast (because I refuse to let them jack up my bill from the $14/month I pay now to over $100 for HD w/DVR, hence the reason I bought the TV in the first place). I did my first HD rental last week though (Stardust) and thought it looked amazing. I saw virtually no artifacting. Then again, I also watched my first purchased TV program on the TV (previously I'd watch them on my iPod Classic) and thought it looked just fine. I believe the SD encodes are DVD-quality, at least in terms of resolution, if not bitrate. Obviously they're not up to par with the ATSC HD local channels I get, but I'll take a loss of quality over commercials any day
  • Reply 22 of 35
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

and a broadcast DVR is pointless for most people.

Wans't that the whole point of a VCR - to record what's being broadcast to watch at a later time or to watch one program while recording another? It wasn't pointless for 30 years- how is it pointless now? Please elaborate.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

HD movies are good but you can't purchase them and the selection is limited. But the vast majority of everything else is smeary/blocky and worse than broadcast cable on a HDTV -40 inches. What are you using to watching your iTunes movies on your 1080p plasma? -an iPod?

Playing off FrontRow. It's a matter of preference really. Personally, I'd prefer a little bit of softness in the picture than pixelation. I find pixelation (macroblocking, tiling, etc) to be very distracting. It's also very dependent on the scaler in your TV. My Panasonic plasma has a very good scaler to upsize the SD content. If you're TV's scaler isn't as good you are going to see more of the blockiness.

Quote:

Wans't that the whole point of a VCR - to record what's being broadcast to watch at a later time or to watch one program while recording another? It wasn't pointless for 30 years- how is it pointless now? Please elaborate.

Because 30 years ago you didn't have cable TV with 200 channels. You didn't have USA Nework, the History Channel, Discovery, Sci-Fi, BBC American, FX, and dozens of other cable-only channels. I'm not even sure if TBS and TNT were common on cable systems back then. The point being, 30 years ago 95% of the content was on NBC, CBS, ABC, and PBS. So if you could get those broadcast channels, you and your VCR were pretty much covered. But now there is so much stuff NOT on ANY broadcast channel that if you were limited to only watching broadcast you'd be missing out on a LOT of content.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    jwyattjwyatt Posts: 93member
    Anyone remember Dream On from the late 80's ? That was a great HBO show. It would be nice to see some of the older HBO shows released. You can't find them on DVD.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:

Playing off FrontRow. It's a matter of preference really. Personally, I'd prefer a little bit of softness in the picture than pixelation. I find pixelation (macroblocking, tiling, etc) to be very distracting. It's also very dependent on the scaler in your TV. My Panasonic plasma has a very good scaler to upsize the SD content. If you're TV's scaler isn't as good you are going to see more of the blockiness.

Because 30 years ago you didn't have cable TV with 200 channels. You didn't have USA Nework, the History Channel, Discovery, Sci-Fi, BBC American, FX, and dozens of other cable-only channels. I'm not even sure if TBS and TNT were common on cable systems back then. The point being, 30 years ago 95% of the content was on NBC, CBS, ABC, and PBS. So if you could get those broadcast channels, you and your VCR were pretty much covered. But now there is so much stuff NOT on ANY broadcast channel that if you were limited to only watching broadcast you'd be missing out on a LOT of content.

1.) If the blockiness/smeariness/pixelation whatever is in the product sold, smoothing it over with a scaler is not really the answer. You can't fix the quallity of something that is not there to begin with. The product should be of higher quality to begin with when sold.

2.) The DVR has replaced the VCR. You really haven't answered how you would watch something at a later date which is what a DVR does. The last time I checked DVRs are still pretty popular in 2008. The number of channels available has nothing to do with the need to record something.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:

When did AppleTV get a .Mac module?

In the AppleTV take 2 software, you can view your photos and video on a .Mac member's web gallery.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:

1.) If the blockiness/smeariness/pixelation whatever is in the product sold, smoothing it over with a scaler is not really the answer. You can't fix the quallity of something that is not there to begin with. The product should be of higher quality to begin with when sold.

2.) The DVR has replaced the VCR. You really haven't answered how you would watch something at a later date which is what a DVR does. The last time I checked DVRs are still pretty popular in 2008. The number of channels available has nothing to do with the need to record something.

1) If you are seeing blockiness in your Apple video there is something wrong with your setup. In my admittedly limited testing I see softness but not blockiness in video downloaded from the iTS. My guess is that if you are seeing blockiness there is a problem with your scaler. Compared to some of Comcast's SD channels (BBC America is a good example), Apple's video totally blows it away in picture quality. But I think we can all agree that it would be nice if Apple had HD TV shows, right?

2) Seriously? Do you think TiVo would still be in business if you could only record the 3 or 4 TV stations most people can get in over the air? Would you still be paying Comcast for DVR rental if they limited you to only being able to recording off 5 channels? I doubt it. So I stand by my point... given the cost of DVRs, do you really think they'd have been successful under those conditions? A very high percentage of American households have cable. (And and even higher percentage of those who could afford AppleTV have cable!) If you could only record broadcast channels, it would NOT be a selling point for AppleTV because you'd STILL have to pay the cable company (or TiVo) for the ability to record all those other channels (because, as I previously mentioned, at this time I don't think Apple would want to be playing the game of trying to make it work with cable). I agree the DVR functionality is highly desirable. I disagree that AppleTV is the place to implement it.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    It looks like they are still getting the episodes up, but Sex and the City, The Wire, Deadwood, the Sopranos, Rome and Flight of the Conchords are all up right now.

itms://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...80210914&id=37
  • Reply 29 of 35
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Not only is that brilliant, but I suspect its where we're going in the not-too-distant future...

Ding ding ding!

This is the endgame.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:

1) If you are seeing blockiness in your Apple video there is something wrong with your setup. In my admittedly limited testing I see softness but not blockiness in video downloaded from the iTS. My guess is that if you are seeing blockiness there is a problem with your scaler. Compared to some of Comcast's SD channels (BBC America is a good example), Apple's video totally blows it away in picture quality. But I think we can all agree that it would be nice if Apple had HD TV shows, right?

Apple video quality blows a second or third tier channel away??? I really can't comment anymore if that's your analogy.

Have you ever bought any music videos on iTunes? Some are of embarrassingly poor quality.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael_Moriarty View Post

In the AppleTV take 2 software, you can view your photos and video on a .Mac member's web gallery.

OK- but that's not a .Mac module. YouTube is a module. That's a partial module if anything. But I hear what you're saying.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:

Apple video quality blows a second or third tier channel away??? I really can't comment anymore if that's your analogy.

Have you ever bought any music videos on iTunes? Some are of embarrassingly poor quality.

Point taken. I never watch "first-tier" channels in SD so I can't speak to their quality. I have Comcast's HD for all of those channels (only because I get it for free...their "bribe" to get me to stick with them when I threatened to disconnect service due to their frequent price hikes).

Still, I've never seen blockiness on any iTunes content, but I've never watched music videos (what's that, 5th tier? ) on my plasma. The only time I had problems with video quality on a TV show there was a strange black strip through the video. I emailed Apple, they immediately credited my account $1.99 and let me re-download it after they got the problem corrected (I assume they had to have the content provided re-encode the show and resubmit it to Apple).
  • Reply 33 of 35
    The Apple monopoly on digital content is ridiculous. People need support other (legitimate) digital retailers and hardware manufactures so that Apple does not dictate what digital content you are allowed to buy, how much you should pay for it and what device you should watch it on. If you can help create an actual marketplace besides iTunes for digital content including music, you'll have actual competition that will set a fair market price and even promotions that will allow you to get it at cheaper than the market price.

You can start by buying Zunes, Sony Walkman devices or Creative devices and buying your music at Amazon.

Supporting the iPod / iTunes monopoly is the worst thing you could do for other consumers and yourself.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    djames42djames42 Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheTruthReadIt View Post

Supporting the iPod / iTunes monopoly is the worst thing you could do for other consumers and yourself.

Clearly you're a troll, unworthy of being fed, but I'm going to reply anyway because I completely disagree.

For the first time, iTunes has given the consumer a viable, practical, and legal method of bypassing cable and watching what we want, when we want it, commercial free. Others have tried and failed, Apple has succeeded. I'm more than happy to spend a few hundred a year to subscribe to the series I like to watch; that's far less than I'd pay Comcast, and (generally) I get better quality and no commercials.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheTruthReadIt View Post

The Apple monopoly on digital content is ridiculous. People need support other (legitimate) digital retailers and hardware manufactures so that Apple does not dictate what digital content you are allowed to buy, how much you should pay for it and what device you should watch it on. If you can help create an actual marketplace besides iTunes for digital content including music, you'll have actual competition that will set a fair market price and even promotions that will allow you to get it at cheaper than the market price.

You can start by buying Zunes, Sony Walkman devices or Creative devices and buying your music at Amazon.

Apple is far from a music/video monopoly. To date (since iTunes inception) I've purchased more music on CD than downloads. As long as I can continue to get CDs delivered to my door in full CD 44.1k/16bit for less than $7 I'll continue to buy landfill clogging plastic discs.

Buying a Zune does nothing...buying a Sony walkman does nothing ..in fact Sony is the company that has attempted to thwart your music enjoyment through pervasive DRM. Creative devices do not appeal to me.

I have my options. iPod, which is best of breed DMP, and the tried and true Compact Disc or "object resembling a compact disc yet laden with some stupid DRM scheme".

Do people really think consumers are that obtuse? That suddenly the must kneel at Apple's musical alter and eat whatever gruel they serve?

Nay...I've plenty of options for my music enjoyment and they continue to expand ..much like the Universe.