New Time Machine option in 10.5.3; Boston store opens Thursday

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A new option scheduled to arrive alongside Mac OS X 10.5.3 will allow Time Machine users to chance backups while on battery power. Meanwhile, Apple has announced that its Boston flagship shop will open its doors this Thursday. And Ireland is the latest European country to see substantial iPhone discounts.

New Time Machine option in Mac OS X 10.5.3

Developers testing pre-release builds of Mac OS X 10.5.3 report that Apple plans to offer users of the impending Leopard update a new Time Machine toggle that will keep the backup software functional even on notebooks running on battery power.

As both a safety precaution and power conservation measure, the existing version of Time Machine suspends scheduled backups when a Mac notebook's power cord is disconnected, then resumes them once the cord is plugged back in.

As of Mac OS X 10.5.3 build 9D29, released privately on Thursday, the option is said to be disabled by default. The toggle checkbox is accessible by selecting the "Options" button in the Time Machine system preferences.

Boston store grand opening this Thursday

Meanwhile, Apple has announced that its latest flagship retail shop at 815 Boylston Street in Boston, Massachusetts will officially open its doors this Thursday, May 15.

"When the Apple Store, Boylston Street, opens this Thursday, May 15 at 6:00 p.m., it’s sure to be a fan favorite," the company said. "To celebrate, we’re giving away limited edition T-shirts and other surprises. There’ll be plenty to do this weekend, including free workshops, special events, and live musical performances."

The May 15th opening is one day prior to what ifoAppleStore had previously predicted.

O2 Ireland now offering 100 euro iPhone discount

Following a 300 euro discount by T-Mobile Germany and a 100 pound cut by O2 of the UK, O2 of Ireland also recently announced a discount on the 8GB iPhone, presumably aimed at clearing inventories ahead of a 3G model.

The carrier via its website now lists the 8GB model at 299 euros, down from 399 euros.

An advertisement promoting the 100 euro discount was also published in regional newspapers over the weekend, according to AppleInsider readers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    No money off the 16GB version. It's like the 3G iPhone isn't coming
  • Reply 2 of 13
    tivortivor Posts: 3member
    Love the Green Monster look of the "Apple Store coming soon" sign!!

The new store is located close to the Fenway Park, I take it?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    And Ireland rejoices.

Not.

So let me get this straight. O2 Ireland drops the price of the 8GB iPhone only to the US equivalent of $465 (compared to what the US pays for of $399 ex tax I assume) whereas before Irish customers paid $620 (?399)

But then to cap it all the tariff is still the same, so for the cheapest option of $70 you get 175 minutes and unused minutes CANNOT be carried over, 100 texts, again cannot be carried over, 1GB data limit and NO visual voicemail.

O2 Ireland may have reduced the 8GB model by ?100 but they can still go and frack themselves...
  • Reply 4 of 13
    juniescojuniesco Posts: 3member
    I am so tempted to skip work for this. Me and my co-workers are debating on it ;o)
  • Reply 5 of 13
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Now just add a toggle to automatically suspend Time Machine while Aperture is running and we'll be all set!
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Now just add a toggle to automatically suspend Time Machine while Aperture is running and we'll be all set!

I just saw this at Ars. Not sure if it will fit the bill, but it may well do.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...pps-on-the-mac
  • Reply 7 of 13
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    ...always in NYC shadow... (seeing if anyone takes the bait)
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I complained about this feature lacking myself. It's conceivable that a laptop user could NOT ever have TM do an automatic backup. They close the lid when they're done, they plug it in, they then unplug it and move around while they are using it, etc. TM never actually runs.

I know people just read that and want to jump out and say one or both of these two things: "Well just leave it on while you plug it in" or "just tell TM to do a backup while you're using it." BUT that goes against the VERY IDEA of what TM was designed for.

TM was supposed to be a way to "automatically" take care of backups, so the average joe didn't have to think about it or worry about it; it's a no-thought safety net. Well, if I have to MANUALLY initiate a TM backup or REMEMBER to leave my computer on while it's plugged in, then that defeats the very idea of what TM is.

So Kudos to Apple for introducing this "feature" into TM. Glad they saw the light at the end of the space tunnel ;-)
  • Reply 9 of 13
    jawportajawporta Posts: 140member
    How about the option to tell it when to back up? I hate this every hour bull shit. I had to put a script in the terminal to make it every 12 hours but I know all mighty Apple will default it every update.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    marktrekmarktrek Posts: 69member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tivor View Post

Fenway park is .8 miles away, but this Boston and Apple is being classy.

ESPN is also using the same look to advertise up coming games.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Responsiveness of my MacBook Air is dramatically impeded while TM is backing up. I would like an option to run the backup only if there has been no keyboard of mouse activity in the minute preceding the scheduled start time.

ps: I do leave mine running and connected to power most of the time.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

Responsiveness of my MacBook Air is dramatically impeded while TM is backing up. I would like an option to run the backup only if there has been no keyboard of mouse activity in the minute preceding the scheduled start time.

ps: I do leave mine running and connected to power most of the time.

Actually, responsiveness wasn't the reason I'd like TM to not run while Aperture is running. Apple created a special rule in TM to exclude the Aperture library if a backup runs while Aperture is running. They did this to avoid corrupting the library database. The problem is that the next time TM runs when Aperture isn't running it treats the entire Aperture library as a new set of files. So instead of doing an incremental update of just files you've changed it backs up the entire library! For most Aperture users, that's 10s if not 100s of GB of data that TM insists on backup up, even if you've only changed one image file! It would have been better if the special rule was to suspend TM entirely while Aperture is running (like they currently do when your laptop isn't plugged in). A lot of Aperture users manually turn off TM while they run Aperture. Then when they turn it back on it performs a proper incremental update of the Aperture library. But like a previous poster says, TM should be automatic. I shouldn't have to manage it.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    stecchinostecchino Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tivor View Post

Just down the street.