New Mighty Mouse

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What do you think about a New apple Mouse ?

Maybe at the WWDC's keynote ?

Maybe Not a White One ? To looks like new macs ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    What could they possibly add to such perfection? You don't think... a second button?

Anyway, the sooner the better they do *something* with it, the better. It's an antique piece of crap. I understand and sort of appreciate the rationale behind shipping computers with a one-button mouse - while never wanting to actually use a one-button mouse myself - but the rest of the mouse is just awful. Resolution, the full-body button design which sabotages drag and drop, the nipple in the middle breeding RSI and gunking up, all of it.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    mrorangemrorange Posts: 3member
    The actually mighty mouse is 3 years old, without laser technologie, and, with a quiet bad resolution (around 800dpi).

Apple wants to convert all his white designed products (imac, macbook, ipod) in aluminium.

That's why I hope apple will give us a new mouse with the new products presented at WWDC, next June 9.
  • Reply 3 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

...shipping computers with a one-button mouse - while never wanting to actually use a one-button mouse myself...

You do realize that the current Apple mouse only LOOKS like a one-button mouse, right?

In fact, it has four different buttons plus the scroll ball.

I agree, it's not the greatest mouse available, but get your facts straight.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

You do realize that the current Apple mouse only LOOKS like a one-button mouse, right?

In fact, it has four different buttons plus the scroll ball.

I agree, it's not the greatest mouse available, but get your facts straight.

Last I bought one, it shipped with only one of the buttons enabled. As it should. That is the only justification for producing a crappy mouse like that at all. (The rest of the buttons could be enabled from System Preferences.)

And no, it doesn't have four buttons. It's got three mechanical buttons, and one induction surface - and if you want to compensate for the one-piece shell's drag and drop deficiency, you have to use one button to duplicate button 1. That leaves two buttons and the surface which can't be operated independently from the buttons. I'd call it a two and a half button mouse.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    Quote:

Last I bought one, it shipped with only one of the buttons enabled. As it should. That is the only justification for producing a crappy mouse like that at all. (The rest of the buttons could be enabled from System Preferences.)

And no, it doesn't have four buttons. It's got three mechanical buttons, and one induction surface - and if you want to compensate for the one-piece shell's drag and drop deficiency, you have to use one button to duplicate button 1. That leaves two buttons and the surface which can't be operated independently from the buttons. I'd call it a two and a half button mouse.

So you're acknowledging that it is a multi-button mouse?

(Left, Right, Center, and Squeeze.... thats 4 "buttons". Whether they are mechanically separate or not is irrelevant.) Who the heck cares how Sys Prefs is set up on delivery... set it the way you want it.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    Thanks for this post, because it raises an important and rather overlooked issue. The Mighty Mouse is not so mighty. It was okay in its day, but tech has moved on. I'd like to see something that is ergonomically more comfortable in terms of fitting into the ball of your hand. The tiny scrolling ball effort gets tiring quite quickly. So there is definitely room for improvement.
  • Reply 7 of 62
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Thanks for this post, because it raises an important and rather overlooked issue. The Mighty Mouse is not so mighty. It was okay in its day, but tech has moved on. I'd like to see something that is ergonomically more comfortable in terms of fitting into the ball of your hand. The tiny scrolling ball effort gets tiring quite quickly. So there is definitely room for improvement.

Forget about the mouse...

What about a multitouch trackpad for everyone (notebook and desktop users)?

And by the way an illuminated stand-alone keyboard would also be useful...

What about a Combo illuminated short keyboard + Multitouch tracktap, wired or wireless.
  • Reply 8 of 62
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrOrange View Post

The actually mighty mouse is 3 years old, without laser technologie, and, with a quiet bad resolution (around 800dpi).

Apple wants to convert all his white designed products (imac, macbook, ipod) in aluminium.

That's why I hope apple will give us a new mouse with the new products presented at WWDC, next June 9.

Wait! You're not tell me that Mighty Mouse has a scroll ball rather than laser? My 7 year old Apple mouse is laser: no mouse balls.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    The not-so-mighty Mouse is Apple's worst ergonomic device ever.

I have replaced mine twice and the ball still stops working intermittently. It's Jobs' worst failure in hardware.

That Microsoft-branded ergonomic devices routinely beat Apple's in choice, cost and quality should be an issue of great shame in Cupertino.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Wait! You're not tell me that Mighty Mouse has a scroll ball rather than laser? My 7 year old Apple mouse is laser: no mouse balls.

When talking about mice, "Optical" and "Laser" are NOT the same thing. Optical tracking is generally better than a scroll-ball, but Laser tracking is way more precise that Optical. The Apple mouse is merely an Optical device.

(Yes, I am aware that a Laser is, by definition, an "optical" technology, but in this particular case, optical refers to an LED source as opposed to a real laser.)
  • Reply 11 of 62
    southerndocsoutherndoc Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

It wasn't even ok in its day.

Is it too much to ask for Apple to include a forward and back button?

Apple ignores consumer requests. Probably <10% of computer users use a mouse without a back button for web surfing. For Apple to develop the Mighty Mouse (better termed the Wimpy Mouse), Apple had to ignore consumer demand and preferences in developing the mouse. There's no way they would let something go to market without a back/forward button if they had surveyed their users.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I have replaced mine twice and the ball still stops working intermittently. It's Jobs' worst failure in hardware.

That Microsoft-branded ergonomic devices routinely beat Apple's in choice, cost and quality should be an issue of great shame in Cupertino.

I agree. Apple's Mighty Mouse is a big, red "avoid" sticker for me. I tried it out in the Apple Store and couldn't stand it. I'm still clickin' after all these years with a one-button.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:

When talking about mice, "Optical" and "Laser" are NOT the same thing. Optical tracking is generally better than a scroll-ball, but Laser tracking is way more precise that Optical. The Apple mouse is merely an Optical device.

(Yes, I am aware that a Laser is, by definition, an "optical" technology, but in this particular case, optical refers to an LED source as opposed to a real laser.)

Thanks! I feel better now. Think I'll go out an play now!
  • Reply 14 of 62
    Quote:

So you're acknowledging that it is a multi-button mouse?

(Left, Right, Center, and Squeeze.... thats 4 "buttons". Whether they are mechanically separate or not is irrelevant.)

I can only assume you have never attempted to play a fast-paced game (that uses Button 2) with it - the lack of an actual, mechanically separate Button 2 makes the mouse unusable. Even in desktop use, MM has a learning period if you are used to a normal mouse since you must consciously lift the other finger if you want Button 2 to register. (They could have fixed this problem with multi-level pressure sensitivity instead of whatever binary sensor they use, but I assume they were too cheap to do so.) A month wasn't enough for me to stop being bothered by this "feature".

Also, you can't drag and drop long distances if you can't lift the mouse while keeping Button 1 down. And you can't, thanks to the friggin' genius who designed it. The only way I know of to fix this is to set Squeeze = Button 1.

So, three buttons on the desktop, two in games. 2.5 button mouse, or thereabouts. A bad one at that.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    Quote:

I can only assume you have never attempted to play a fast-paced game (that uses Button 2) with it...

Nope... not even sure if it'll work on the PS3
  • Reply 16 of 62
    kd86kd86 Posts: 42member
    Quote:

I guess you never used the hockey puck mouse that shipped with the original iMacs then. That was by far a worse ergonomic design. I honestly don't have a problem with the Mighty Mouse. It may not be the best mouse on the market but I'm not that picky when it comes to mouses and it looks nice (to me at least) so whatever.
  • Reply 17 of 62
    Quote:

I can only assume you have never attempted to play a fast-paced game (that uses Button 2) with it - the lack of an actual, mechanically separate Button 2 makes the mouse unusable.

Seriously, I don't mean to be rude here, but is anyone else getting tired of all the complaints from gamers? All I ever hear is "this sucks for gaming" or "that sucks for gaming" as if gaming is a serious task that has any important benefits other than personal entertainment? If gaming is a high priority for you than use a console or get a PC. Obviously gaming is not something that Apple seems to care about. Maybe that will change in the future, but some of us use our computers for things that are a little more important than sitting around playing mind-numbing games. Sorry if I sound arrogant. I don't mean to, I'm just getting tired of hearing the same thing over and over again. It's pointless.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KD86 View Post

I guess you never used the hockey puck mouse that shipped with the original iMacs then. That was by far a worse ergonomic design.

Good point. Steve REALLY needs to stay out of the input device department.

At least the hockey puck had the purpose of making things better for kids though.

The MM just makes things harder for everybody.
  • Reply 19 of 62
    Quote:

Good point. Steve REALLY needs to stay out of the input device department.

At least the hockey puck had the purpose of making things better for kids though.

The MM just makes things harder for everybody.

While I don't really have a strong opinion either way on the mighty mouse, I must say I do really like the current keyboards. However, I DON'T like the chopped off number pad on the wireless version. Steve said people who use wireless keyboards want to hold them in their laps and carry them around. Well what about those of us who want a full-sized keyboard to stay on our desks but just would prefer to not have the extra cable?
  • Reply 20 of 62
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KD86 View Post

e. It may not be the best mouse on the market but I'm not that picky when it comes to mice and it looks nice (to me at least) so whatever.

tftfy