Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ninjashoes View Post

what the heck is a led screen?

A screen thats backlit with Light Emitting Diodes

Heres some info from the very site you are browsing:

While pricer than CCFLs, LED technology is more efficient at distributing lighting evenly across the entire display surface and offers an increase in color saturation. According to a white paper from Cree, a backlight solutions provider expected to provide its LED technology to Apple, LED-based backlights also consume less power, run cooler, and last longer than CCFLs.

For end users, the new technology translates into improved notebook battery life and displays that will maintain their initial levels of brightness longer into their respective life-cycles. Come this spring, LED-lit displays will also deliver a more vivid canvas for the various software user interface enhancements and animation techniques that will be included with Mac OS X Leopard.

So basically, thinner, brighter, uses less energy, etc.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    burtonburton Posts: 1member
    i have one of the first black macbooks - which i got NOT because it was cheap, but BECAUSE IT WAS PLASTIC AND STURDY. i have beat up and nearly destroyed to silver powerbooks. is no one concerned about he sturdiness of the new macbooks? i wish ALL apple products were sturdy plastic. i love my black macbook , it is just getting a little slow for my use case.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    I'm definitely thinking that Apple would be foolish to delay an update longer than June for the Macbooks and Macbook Pros. The "Back to School" buying season is easily the second-busiest season of the year for Apple, and most of the machines they sell during this period are laptops. To have their laptops running a chip one generation behind many PCs will undoubtedly mean lost sales. Meaning: Apple will update laptops prior to this buying season.

If you want my predictions, these are the most recent ones:

- Speed-bumped MBs and MBPs one week before WWDC. Existing cases, with Montevina processors. Possibly upgraded graphics on the MBP.

- New 3G iPhone and SDK dominate WWDC keynote.

- New laptop cases next year for Nehlehem.

I personally will be buying a new MBP as soon as two conditions are met:

a) New MBP generation.

b) Back to School "Buy a Mac, Get an iPod Free" promotion begins. This started historically in the first week of June over the last many years. This year will be no different, and I think the MBs and MBPs will be updated in the first week of June as well.

All prices and educational discounts will remain the same. (Fingers crossed for a $100 price drop on the MBPs, but I'm not holding my breath!)

--mAc

Edit: You know what... actually, re-reading my post, I think Apple will only update the MBP at this time. The Macbook is already much faster than most PCs in its price range, and Apple needs increased differentiation between their consumer and pro lines.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mAc-warrior View Post

Edit: You know what... actually, re-reading my post, I think Apple will only update the MBP at this time. The Macbook is already much faster than most PCs in its price range, and Apple needs increased differentiation between their consumer and pro lines.

I agree with that. And Montevina seems to help in differentiating the lines:

- in the low-end: 2.26/2.40GHz 3MB cache 25W (good for smaller enclosures)

- in the high-end: 2.53/2.80GHz 6MB cache 35W (faster/more cache)
  • Reply 25 of 31
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    Does anyone know what Apple competitors are planning re: Montevina systems. A timetable for launch of rival PCs from Dell, Sony, HP/ Compaq and Lenovo would provide a more reliable indication of when we can expect updated MacBooks from Apple.

mjteix / mAc-warrior

you could be right about only the MBP being updated, but since the bulk of purchases for college users are likely to be the cheaper MacBook, it could be a missed opportunity to delay revising the MB range.

I also refer to my earlier suggestion that maybe both MBP and MB will be woven into a single line-up. Or...

...new idea...

...we could get a three model MacBook Pro range with 13, 15 and 17-inch models.

If Apple planned to introduce a MacBook Touch, this might make sense. Just a thought.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Quote:

I'm definitely thinking that Apple would be foolish to delay an update longer than June for the Macbooks and Macbook Pros. The "Back to School" buying season is easily the second-busiest season of the year for Apple, and most of the machines they sell during this period are laptops. To have their laptops running a chip one generation behind many PCs will undoubtedly mean lost sales. Meaning: Apple will update laptops prior to this buying season.

If you want my predictions, these are the most recent ones:

- Speed-bumped MBs and MBPs one week before WWDC. Existing cases, with Montevina processors. Possibly upgraded graphics on the MBP.

- New 3G iPhone and SDK dominate WWDC keynote.

- New laptop cases next year for Nehlehem.

I personally will be buying a new MBP as soon as two conditions are met:

a) New MBP generation.

b) Back to School "Buy a Mac, Get an iPod Free" promotion begins. This started historically in the first week of June over the last many years. This year will be no different, and I think the MBs and MBPs will be updated in the first week of June as well.

All prices and educational discounts will remain the same. (Fingers crossed for a $100 price drop on the MBPs, but I'm not holding my breath!)

--mAc

I hope most of these predictions aren't true...I decided about 2 months ago to buy a Macbook for law school in the fall, but I read all the rumors about the case redesign, speed bump, etc. coming this summer so I'm waiting until that happens. I was really hoping for an aluminum Macbook (not a huge fan of the plastic, don't need the extra oomph of the MBP).

Can I ask why you think they'll wait for Nehalem for a case redesign? Is Montevina not different enough from Santa Rosa to warrant a redesign?

I would be a big fan of the Back to School special, however... I need an iPod as well (my Creative Zen Microphoto is annoying...).
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Macbook Touch would be sweet...
  • Reply 28 of 31
    welcombwelcomb Posts: 39member
    Well im waiting for a macbook pro, but i want it to get Blu ray and HDMI (or DisplayPort)

But im expecting it in the summer for sure
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaple View Post

I hope most of these predictions aren't true...I decided about 2 months ago to buy a Macbook for law school in the fall, but I read all the rumors about the case redesign, speed bump, etc. coming this summer so I'm waiting until that happens. I was really hoping for an aluminum Macbook (not a huge fan of the plastic, don't need the extra oomph of the MBP).

Can I ask why you think they'll wait for Nehalem for a case redesign? Is Montevina not different enough from Santa Rosa to warrant a redesign?

I would be a big fan of the Back to School special, however... I need an iPod as well (my Creative Zen Microphoto is annoying...).

I guess I'm just a bit more conservative with my predictions than the average Apple follower -- primarily because I've seen so many extravagant rumors fall flat when Apple brings out something that (while still extraordinary) simply pales in comparison to the prognostications. While it is undeniable that new cases will happen at some point, I'm not sure that the Macbook will get them at this time. In my mind, the MBP is more due for a redesign, as the Macbook was a totally new design for the Intel switch, while the MBP case design was (mostly) carried over from the previous Powerbooks. Also, Nehalem (I've read) is a more significant upgrade than Montevina this year. It is possible that the lower power-consumption of those chips may enable a case redesign that these Montevina processors do not.

Then again, I don't know anything at all. Simply educated guesses. I'd be completely thrilled if they merged the two lines though, and allowed the 13" machine to be specced up with dedicated graphics and a 2.5Ghz+ proc... But we can dream, can't we?

--mAc
  • Reply 30 of 31
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    The stock analyst community thinks that Apple will revise its laptop designs. Whether they are privy to inside information or not, it is something they believe Apple should do, given the age of the existing line-up. These people have a good aggregate view of Apple's strategy. For these reasons I am convinced that new machines are days away.

I tend to think that MacBook Pros will arrive before MacBooks, but believe Apple needs new MacBooks in time for the back-to-college buying season.

I am sure both new models will boast aluminium enclosures. I don't think Apple will wait for Nehalem, it is still a long way down the track and I don't think that either model will last another 12 months. Intel was late with Penryn. it will probably be late with Nehalem because it depends on an even more advanced manufacturing process.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:

I'd be completely thrilled if they merged the two lines though, and allowed the 13" machine to be specced up with dedicated graphics and a 2.5Ghz+ proc... But we can dream, can't we?

--mAc

I agree...I have a 15" Dell now and I know my next notebook needs to be 13" because it's been a hassle carrying this lunker around as much as I do. But I still want a top-end notebook on the inside. I would love it if they implemented something similar to Tailpipe's product matrix. However, my gut tells me it could be awhile before they really go with the Dell-like customization options. If you can get people to spend more to buy what they don't need (which is what they do with the MBP--people that like the bigger screen and shiny aluminum spend several hundred dollars more to buy a MBP when they only need the power of a Macbook.), it can be very profitable, and Apple is good at that. Customization allows consumers to get exactly what they want and need, but could reduce profit margins because they aren't forced to buy what they don't want or need. But maybe not...it just seems like Apple does the product matrix the way they do for good reason, and if their notebooks keep selling as well as they are, why would they change it much?