Swiss iPhone rumor; BlackBerry Thunder; Apple gay-friendly

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Switzerland will be yet another carrier offering the 3G iPhone, claims a local newspaper. Meanwhile, rumors have surfaced of a "true" iPhone-slaying touchscreen BlackBerry; Google has launched a new iPhone reader beta; a study finds the iPhone still a small player on the web; and Apple has been deemed of the friendliest brands for gays and lesbians.

Paper: 3G iPhone to launch with Swisscom

Apple will roll out its upcoming iPhone update to Switzerland as part of its ever-widening international strategy, says a report in a recent issue of Swiss paper Le Matin.

A purported source at Swisscom tells the publication that the national carrier has just completed a deal with Apple to supply a 3G-capable iPhone sometime during the summer.

Le Matin also claims to be aware of the phone's new features, including two-way video chats, mobile TV, and GPS navigation, though declines to corroborate its rumors with further details.

Additionally, the paper has since followed up the report with assertions that Swisscom will use "attractive" incentives to lure new iPhone subscribers to its service, and that a high-end plan will make mobile video and other live services possible.

BlackBerry Thunder RIM's true answer to iPhone?

While most attention is centered on the BlackBerry Bold as Apple's likely opponent in the smartphone arena this year, its creator Research in Motion is quietly developing its real touchscreen alternative behind the scenes, according to a new rumor from the Boy Genius Report.

Referred to alternately as the BlackBerry Thunder or BlackBerry 9500, the device would drop the hardware keyboard that has been a staple of RIM's phones and use a large touchscreen for both typing and navigation; only buttons for calls, the BlackBerry menu, and backtracking through the interface would carry over.

The Thunder is also described a high-end, two-mode phone that would support CDMA and GSM phone services in equal measure, including very advanced data access; it would support not just HSPA on 3G networks but a future 4G service, which is speculated to be the Long Term Evolution (LTE) format being chosen by most cellular providers.

The reported details would also have RIM launch the phone in the summer that makes the Thunder a "lifetime" exclusive for both Verizon and its key partner Vodafone, delivering a marketing coup for the carriers roughly at the same time as the 3G iPhone enters its stride.

The Report has often been an accurate source of data regarding the BlackBerry, obtaining information about the Bold and other devices. However, readers should be aware that LTE isn't set to be used by any commercial network until 2009, casting doubt on the accuracy of the rumor.

Google updates Reader for iPhone

Google on Tuesday introduced a beta update to its Google Reader web news app for the iPhone.

The upgrade brings the handheld-formatted version closer in features to the full-size version and expands chosen RSS articles in place, letting users read full article without disrupting their ability to resume browsing the list of news afterwards. This also applies to marking stories for later, the company says.

While eager to unveil the update, Google adds that it won't yet automatically redirect viewers to the new page.

Report finds iPhone still small player on the web

Apple's willingness to crow about the power of the iPhone's web browser hasn't yet translated to a command of the mobile web, says a study by the young marketing firm AdMob.

Following users by the ad requests their browser makes, AdMob sees the iPhone at just 1.1 percent of all US mobile web traffic; by comparison, Motorola's aging and more limited RAZR V3 flip phone still leads with 9.1 percent. While percentages change, both phones hold the same ranks on the international level.

iPhones don't fare much better when limited to competition against similarly advanced phones, according to the researchers. The BlackBerry line makes about 47 percent of US smartphone requests and 26 percent worldwide, while Apple must make do with 5 and 6 percent shares for mobile operating systems -- a share small enough to be overshadowed by the BlackBerry OS, Palm, Windows Mobile, and Symbian.

The study's authors insist, though, that Apple's very appearance in its charts is a telling sign of greater adoption and that many AdMob clients have created iPhone-specific websites.

Apple most gay-friendly tech firm in new study

Included in the same ranks as TV network Bravo, vodka maker Absolut, and jeans maker Levi's, Apple is one of the brands friendliest to a gay and lesbian audience, a new survey from PlanetOut claims.

The homosexual respondents chose the Mac maker above all other technology companies as being the most sympathetic based largely on the company's public perception, including marketing, discussions with friends, and the brand's representation by the media.

A key supplier of Apple's, Korea-based Samsung, is rated as one of the least friendly along with such company as Dunkin Donuts and Wal-Mart.

PlanetOut doesn't explain why Apple in particular has been singled out, but claims that many gay and lesbian people are "early adopters" of many products.

These users also tend to dramatically increase their support of a brand when they feel gay imagery is present, PlanetOut notes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 425
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Thunder is also described a high-end, two-mode phone that would support CDMA and GSM phone services in equal measure, including very advanced data access; it would support not just HSPA on 3G networks but a future 4G service, which is speculated to be the Long Term Evolution (LTE) format being chosen by most cellular providers.

...The Report has often been an accurate source of data regarding the BlackBerry, obtaining information about the Bold and other devices. However, readers should be aware that LTE isn't set to be used by any commercial network until 2009, casting doubt on the accuracy of the rumor.

Mmm... not precisely. I think the BoyGenius Report took pains to say that while the chipset may support LTE, they are aware that LTE won't actually be deployed on any networks for awhile.

Frankly, it was the part where they said it may support EVDO RevC/UMB that had me scratching my head, and thinking that some portions of the 'inside info' were outdated. With the big US CDMA carriers going to other technologies for their 4G (Verizon to LTE, Sprint to WiMax) I think the handwriting is on the wall for UMB...

In any case, thanx for pickin' up my newstip.

• Reply 2 of 425
    dreildreil Posts: 14member
    I thought that the iPhone was quick out the gate to dominate mobile web traffic, and that this was reported months ago?
  • Reply 3 of 425
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    the above is the closest i've read elevated rumor level that i will get what i want

Le Matin also claims to be aware of the phone's new features, including two-way video chats, mobile TV, and GPS navigation, though declines to corroborate its rumors with further details.

gps, front camera for video chat----now if sdk gives me voice dialing yippeeee

it seems apple is getting some serious country following.... whether locked (at higher price, or subsized to keep people on the countries network) puts money in apples account

i think since unlocked phones are going for well over the US price, that they will change their business model to semiexclusive timing(certain carriers get it months earlier), higher priced unlocked and subsized for keeping customer locked to a carrier. this will be huge, with the countries announced, but summer end how many potential customers would have iphone available to them....somebody needs to do that math, it's got to be 10's of millions
  • Reply 4 of 425
    (Some more info on the Blackberry Thunder from a post of mine earlier today):

The BB Bold looks nice, but the BB Thunder may be even cooler... full-touchscreen Crackberry!:

Are you ready? The BlackBerry Thunder, as it is codenamed now, (all you "reporting" on it as the Storm are incorrect) will launch in Q3 of this year. It is a full touchscreen BlackBerry — no slide out keyboard — with only 4 physical keys. Those are the send / end phone keys, the BlackBerry menu key, and the back key. Here is the most interesting part, though: it will launch as a worldwide lifetime exclusive on Verizon and Vodafone.

Here's a pic of what it might look like... repeat, there's no real pics yet, AFAIK:

http://gizmodo.com/389923/touchscree...ely-to-verizon

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...-for/#comments

Interesting that it's a VZW & Vodaphone exclusive (for those who don't know, Voda owns 45 percent of Verizon).

• Reply 5 of 425
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple are far from sympathetic, but they are "shiny"
  • Reply 6 of 425
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

That is all
  • Reply 7 of 425
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    The gay imagery of the "Get a Mac" campaign is the presentation of two sympathetic men as the common focal point? Or am I looking past something else.
  • Reply 8 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreil View Post

I thought that the iPhone was quick out the gate to dominate mobile web traffic, and that this was reported months ago?

AdMob serves ads to the mobile web. iPhones users don't visit mobile websites. AdMob's analysis is whack.
  • Reply 9 of 425
    What does Apple not making a stand on gays/lesbians have anything to with being sympathetic? The rainbow has only recently been adopted by homosexuals, the term gay in and of itself means that your joyful, not that your interested in your brother, and Mac helping PC blow his nose is an act of kindness, not gay imagery. One must dig really, really, really deep to try to find any remote trace of something being gay. I pet my dog on the head. That doesn't mean I have thoughts of an intimate relationship with my dog. Really, people, cut the crap! Ya, so I'm on my soapbox of a controversial issue nowadays. So, hate me. You don't like my views. Oh, well. I'll get over it.
  • Reply 10 of 425
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member
    Great. So I just bought a queer notebook...
  • Reply 11 of 425
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Who gives a rats ass. Useless info for the masses.
  • Reply 12 of 425
    You can sort of see already where this thread is going, and it ain't purty.... \

• Reply 13 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

That was a tad inappropriate was it not? I think that we are all a little more mature than to act like that...

The apple rainbow hasn't been used since the introduction of mac os x, what 6 years ago? And I don't see where one company is more user friendly than another. So, I think that the article is a little off. But, that aside, everyone needs to be careful of what they say and be a little more mature. You are no better than anyone else, gay, straight or what ever else someone may classify themselves as, so you need to be a little more respectful of others.
  • Reply 14 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Here's a pic of what it might look like... repeat, there's no real pics yet, AFAIK:

As long as they keep that damn VZW logo and name off of it, it'd be decent looking.
  • Reply 15 of 425
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    To maintain a semblance of competitiveness, RIM is having to resort to pre-release announcements and leaks of nonexistent products. Cool!
  • Reply 16 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Yep. Are you greased up and grabbing your ankles yet?
  • Reply 17 of 425
    smurfmansmurfman Posts: 119member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crees! View Post

Who gives a rats ass. Useless info for the masses.

I wouldn't quite put it that way, but I agree. I'm glad Apple has kept a fairly neutral stance on political issues. It's unwise for ANY company to have a bias over one political hot-bed over another. Especially, IMO, the gay movement.

Homosexuality is an obvious unnatural sexual preference folks (i.e. square peg in round hole analogy). The same reasoning that homosexuals are using could be applied to someone who may want to have a relationship with an animal or even an inanimate object or child. This general cultural focus on homosexual rights is ludicrous and irrational.

The gay group claiming Apple's sensibility to gays has a right to their view but I bet it's mostly because of Apple's neutral organizational stance on hot political issues that gives them a high level of integrity.
  • Reply 18 of 425
    stustanleystustanley Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by internetworld7 View Post

Yep. Are you greased up and grabbing your ankles yet?

I'm not gay myself, but I do have some friends who are, and I find that quite offensive and I'm sure that they would too.
  • Reply 19 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stustanley View Post

I'm not gay myself, but I do have some friends who are, and I find that quite offensive and I'm sure that they would too.

Same here. I have relatives that are and they are no less of a person than anyone else. Come on guys, if you have offensive comments to make, keep them to your selves. It's very childish and inappropriate.
  • Reply 20 of 425
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smurfman View Post

I wouldn't quite put it that way, but I agree. I'm glad Apple has kept a fairly neutral stance on political issues. It's unwise for ANY company to have a bias over one political hot-bed over another. Especially, IMO, the gay movement.

Homosexuality is an obvious unnatural sexual preference folks (i.e. square peg in round hole analogy). The same reasoning that homosexuals are using could be applied to someone who may want to have a relationship with an animal or even an inanimate object or child. This general cultural focus on homosexual rights is ludicrous and irrational.

The gay group claiming Apple's sensibility to gays has a right to their view but I bet it's mostly because of Apple's neutral organizational stance on hot political issues that gives them a high level of integrity.

but being gay hurts no one so whats the problem? having sexual relations with children causes harm, inaniment objects? who cares lol, i think thats called masturbation, and animals, well lets just not go there