I just need a quick confirmation on something.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Tiger is best if you have a (G4) iBook, right? Would you instead suggest leopard?

Cheers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    It depends on the spec, mainly Ram and CPU, though the GPU comes into it too. Less than 1GB Ram and less than 1.5GHz CPU then I'd go with Tiger personally. More things in Leopard would be slow without a Quartz Extreme compatible graphics card.

I would probably try out Leopard first though and see if it runs ok. Unless you have serious performance issues, it future-proofs your machine from apps that will be requiring Leopard to run. There are some really nice features that make it more enjoyable to use.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Tiger is best if you have a (G4) iBook, right? Would you instead suggest leopard?

Cheers.

As far as I can tell, each revision of the Apple OS has gotten faster.

So I would go with Leopard. But give it a Gig of RAM to run in.

C.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

As far as I can tell, each revision of the Apple OS has gotten faster.

Hmm, and RAM hungrier. If you don't have enough memory, prepare for paging out galore.

I have a MB with 4 GB and in a few days after booting it starts paging out. Safari is a memory hog, other applications probably too, and I have the habbit to run many applications at the same time and for a long time without quitting them. All these need memory. The OS needs it also for itself. This easily will get you to page-out land. For example, in less than two weeks I had 2GB of vm files.

Leopard likes RAM more than Tiger does. Give it enough and it will be happy. After entering the 4 GB realm, I would not go below that for an OS like Leopard. The MB got quickly painful with the stock 1 GB. For my use at least.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    fishyesquefishyesque Posts: 725member
    The one my friend is looking at has 256. Where would be the best place to get the right kind of 1gb stick, and can I put it in myself?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

The one my friend is looking at has 256. Where would be the best place to get the right kind of 1gb stick, and can I put it in myself?

For memory I would recommend OWC. It lets you choose according to Mac model. Plus the prices are really cheap. Probably not the cheapest, I don't know about this, but you are sure that you buy the correct type of memory for your Mac.

EDIT: about installing memory yourself, yes, you can do it. This is one example for the late 2004 model.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ash6umash6um Posts: 2member
    I have an iBook running Leopard with these specs:

1) PPC G4 1.07 GHz

2) 768 MB RAM (256 MB + 512 MB)

3) 32 MB VRAM

4) 80 GB Seagate Momentus 5400 RPM HDD

5) Combo Drive

Based on personal experience, I would recommend spending more money on the HDD than RAM (go from 4200 RPM to 5400/7200 RPM). You can do the upgrade yourself, but you need lot of patience, I mean LOT of patience! (I did mine )

Leopard is visibly faster than Panther. HD videos used to crawl and look like slideshows on my iBook when it was running panther. Surprisingly, with Leopard (and MPlayer OSX/VLC), most of them are watchable!

You should definitely buy RAM from OWC, it has the cheapest RAM prices. I haven't found 1GB PC 2100 stick for a price lesser than that on OWC.