Windows XP beats Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 121 of 170
    [quote]Originally posted by iChmul:

<strong>

Guess what I use...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, considering you killed your OS X recently ('sudo rm -r' is tricky), I'd guess you don't use Mac OS X atm.

And btw: Welcome Mr. Thomas "Fotzibär" Chmul
  • Reply 122 of 170
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    yeah jimmac, it was. . . a joke.
  • Reply 123 of 170

<strong>

I saw XP at a local computer store and you know what? There was no wanna-have-feeling like it was on Mac OS X!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I got to check it out at a store as well ... I haven't been able to spend to much time with it, so I'm just going to fire off some questions ... why is there so much lag for the volume control to pop up? And what's with the kindergarden safety icons? Is M$ still working on the graphic system, or is it that X is just far superior ... I can't tell ... is it crapy icons ... or the OS? Do you still have to go to "my computer" to access your drives? Whats the largest file that you can copy between applications? Have they addressed that ?ucked up alias system yet?

Any other relevant info will be much appreciated ... as exciting as M$'s legal tactics, business strategies and technical airy hopes may be, (isn't it true that they don't even own the patent for their .NET strategy?) I am keenly interested in learning a little 'bit about their actual CURRENT os.
  • Reply 124 of 170
    The GUI "engine" in WindowsX isn't even to the primative stage, compared to what's in OS X.

It's a complete joke, if you ask me.
  • Reply 125 of 170
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>Force Quit sucks in OS X. Takes forever to come up.... when it does come up that is. Windows is near instant.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Force Quit works perfectly fine in OS X. What are all these problems people are having with Force Quit?
  • Reply 126 of 170
    At least in X, you can use the terminal to make sure the process was really killed. XP is based on a kernal thats what? 3 years old? It's about ****in' time they got it right.
  • Reply 127 of 170
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    [quote]Originally posted by the cool gut:

<strong>At least in X, you can use the terminal to make sure the process was really killed. XP is based on a kernal thats what? 3 years old? It's about ****in' time they got it right.</strong><hr></blockquote>

OS X is based on a kernal even older.
  • Reply 128 of 170
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nonsuch:

<strong>

Force Quit works perfectly fine in OS X. What are all these problems people are having with Force Quit?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I don't understand what people complain about either. I've never had a problem with Force Quit.
  • Reply 129 of 170
    rbaldrbald Posts: 108member
    [quote]Originally posted by Sinewave:

<strong>

Yes and Apple took it back. See you must not remember the big deal ol Mike made it out to be. He was rubbing it in Apple's face. Next time around Apple took it back in a big way.

Being Politically Correct is retarded.

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Sinewave ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you kidding or what? Dell has about 5x the market share of Apple!

• Reply 130 of 170
    rbaldrbald Posts: 108member

<strong>Well do you got good drivers for win2k? /me not!

I saw XP at a local computer store and you know what? There was no wanna-have-feeling like it was on Mac OS X!

Guess what I use...</strong><hr></blockquote>

You mac people are a riot! If the mac OS is sooo good how come Apple has 3% market share and Microsoft has 95% market share and is the world standard OS!
  • Reply 131 of 170
    *bullshit*

OSX is superior in EVERY SINGLE WAY. I have had the "pleasure" of using both and OSX is a much nicer design.

However I REALLY miss OS9, I still say that interface wize its the best OS ever.
  • Reply 132 of 170
    [quote]Originally posted by rbald:

<strong>

Are you kidding or what? Dell has about 5x the market share of Apple!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not in education...

• Reply 133 of 170
    [quote]Originally posted by rbald:

<strong>

You mac people are a riot! If the mac OS is sooo good how come Apple has 3% market share and Microsoft has 95% market share and is the world standard OS! </strong><hr></blockquote>

In the US.. Macs have 4-5% mkt share. MS has 90% approx. Again mkt share doesn't = good.

As we all know there are more Honda Civic drivers out there than there is Porsche.

You know Porsche has less than 1% of the car market share? Porsche's must suck!

• Reply 134 of 170
    Maclots and their car analogies.

Sheesh.
  • Reply 135 of 170
    But they're true... I hear the same drivel from PC fags at Ars so calm down.
  • Reply 136 of 170
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>Maclots and their car analogies.

Sheesh. </strong><hr></blockquote>

PC Lots and their denial are you saying that greater mkt % = better grover?

I surely hope not. I wasn't comparing Apple's to Porsches. I was showing the tard that just because the mkt share isn't great.. that doesn't mean something sucks. Esp when that something has been around since the dawn of Personal Computers. Rolleyes indeed.
  • Reply 137 of 170
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    TheRoadWarrior wrote:

[quote]That's fine. I only wanted to point out to everyone here that there is ALOT more to WPA than what Microsoft is saying publicly. Trust me, it has the potential to get very ugly, and, sadly, before many people realize what's going on, it will be too late.

Ever wonder why the DOJ suddenly decided to settle the anti-trust case?<hr></blockquote>

funny you should mention this--usually not one for big consipiracy theories, but Howard Schmidt, Microsoft's chief security officer, is expected to leave within the next month to join the Bush administration.

<a href="http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200112/msg00003.html"; target="_blank">http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesti ng-people/200112/msg00003.html</a>.

Things could get ugly faster than you think.

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: cowerd ]</p>
  • Reply 138 of 170
    The Porsche analogy doesn't work because Porsche's methods prohibit their good cars from being produces in the quantity that Apple can comparatively produce their products.

Car analogies are weak, I don't care what the fags at Ars do.
  • Reply 139 of 170
    grover it wasn't a car analogy. It was showing market share does NOT = Quality.
  • Reply 140 of 170
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>The Porsche analogy doesn't work because Porsche's methods prohibit their good cars from being produces in the quantity that Apple can comparatively produce their products.

Car analogies are weak, I don't care what the fags at Ars do. </strong><hr></blockquote>

How about VHS vs. BETA (don't even tell me VHS is better), or Zip Drive versus practically anything else that was competing with it at the time (click of death anyone), or how about the Amiga versus anything (where is that system now if it was so good?). The best does not mean the most market share or success. This issue has been beat into the ground, I am suprised some feel the need to argue it over and over that windows is better because everyone uses it. Sheep.