Intel exec vouches for Atom-based Apple Newton tablet - report

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A high ranking Intel executive is said to have made comments this week that corroborate reports of a Netwon-like mini-tablet under development at Apple, as originally revealed by AppleInsider last year.

Intel Germany chief Hannes Schwaderer reportedly spilled the beans during the company's 40th birthday celebration at BMW World in Munich, adding that the device is expected to be powered by one of his firm's Atom ultra-mobile device chipsets.

"Schwaderer today confirms what has long been a rumor on the Internet: namely, that there is an iPhone with Intel's new Atom chip," reads a report in the German edition of ZDNet. "The device is slightly larger than the current version, Schwaderer said. This is not [because of] the Intel chip, but [because of] the larger display used in the new iPhone."

AppleInsider exclusively reported last September that Apple, which helped spawn the PDA market with its Newton MessagePad line in the '90s, was planning to give the concept another go with a modern day reincarnation based on the its mutli-touch technology.

The device has been described by sources as an ultra-thin "slate" akin to the iPhone and running an embedded version of the Mac OS X Leopard operating system.

Artist depiction of future tablet device alongside Apple's existing handhelds | Artwork by audiopollution.

In a followup report published in December, AppleInsider went on to reveal that Apple would adopt Intel's ultra-mobile PC platform -- later renamed Atom -- for use in the much rumored Newton mini tablet and possibly future generation iPhone devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 124
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    If real, I sure hope it's not bigger than 5.5"x8.5".
  • Reply 2 of 124
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

"Schwaderer today confirms what has long been a rumor on the Internet: namely, that there is an iPhone with Intel's new Atom chip," reads a report in the German edition of ZDNet. "The device is slightly larger than the current version, Schwaderer said. This is not [because of] the Intel chip, but [because of] the larger display used in the new iPhone."

I doubt it will be a phone if it is bigger than the current iPhone. Maybe built-in HSPA feature for internet access only.

However, this sounds interesting. 3G iPhone this week and the tablet on WWDC08?! Probably explain the AT&T vacation memo and todays iPhone limit memo. I might be wrong.
  • Reply 3 of 124
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Ok, waiting for the comments saying that because of this comment, Apple will change chip sources to AMD. As though that could happen.
  • Reply 4 of 124
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Ok, waiting for the comments saying that because of this comment, Apple will change chip sources to AMD. As though that could happen.

I don't know Mel. An Apple tablet with a tri core Phenom would ROCK.
  • Reply 5 of 124
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    As Jobs has publicly stated that the Kindle is a piece of crap and people "don't read books anymore" - I predict this is the Apple iKindle.
  • Reply 6 of 124
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I think this sort of device is very doable and likely to be a high priority for Apple.

First; if one does the math you will realize the device doesn't have to be huge if Apple keeps the same pixel density. We are talking that won't be more that maybe an inch wider and probably not much longer.

Second; Apple has been very clear about the touch devices being the first web based tablets. Good tablet use requires more pixels, simple as that. Especially for the two big considerations: Video and web browsing. Of course all other functionality can be improved for such a device.

In any event what has been described is almost exactly what I'm looking for in a cell phone. Something that can still be carried on the person but yet delivers a bigger screen and a bit more capability.

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 124
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

As Jobs has publicly stated that the Kindle is a piece of crap and people "don't read books anymore" - I predict this is the Apple iKindle.

I think he tends to say such things to divert attention. The people that know better than to listen to a mouthpiece would look this stuff up anyway.

There were about $17B in US book sales and apparently still growing. The music industry is a bit over $10B and shrinking.
  • Reply 8 of 124
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

I don't see how the Kindle is related to what is talked about here! Kindle is book reader, SJ said that people don't read anymore. He was talking about a device that only used to read books. The device here is like a computer with web browser, iTunes (can be used for audiobooks), and probably software from Apple App Store.
  • Reply 9 of 124
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
  • Reply 10 of 124
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 698member
    I'm holding a 5x7 card in my hand - nice size, they could put a killer screen in one, still small enough for a one hand multitouch... I know smaller is more acceptable, but you don't want this thing in your pants pocket anyway... I still miss some of the things my Newton could do.

At iPhone thickness it fits into a coat pocket and can stand to have a 75% on-screen keyboard.

And also - Apple should buy jott.com - what General Magic could have been. Integrate that into the mobile OS.
  • Reply 11 of 124
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    uuuuuuu, an exclusive report! From the same folks who said the Mini was dead.
  • Reply 12 of 124
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

I'm holding a 5x7 card in my hand - nice size, they could put a killer screen in one, still small enough for a one hand multitouch... I know smaller is more acceptable, but you don't want this thing in your pants pocket anyway... I still miss some of the things my Newton could do.

I still have three of my Newtons that I dearly love. No hesitation on my part to quickly purchase a new generation Newton. None whatsoever.
  • Reply 13 of 124
    macheimachei Posts: 83member
    Just so long as it's got bluetooth so I can use my wireless keyboard and mouse. I just can't learn to love the touch keyboard.
  • Reply 14 of 124
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Man, what's with these Apple partners (Intel, ATT, TIM, Vodafone.....) who can't keep their mouths shut?
  • Reply 15 of 124
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    This is pretty much as small an Atom device could be made due to the large package the multi-chip solution comes in (Atom + Paulsbo + RAM, far larger in volume than the size of the ARM SoC in the iPhone. Sure, the screen is dictating the size of the tablet, but without that restriction, the device couldn't be smaller.

It's also one of the target device types of the Atom, although I expect it will use an Atom < 1.2GHz, possibly even the slowest one available, to maximise battery life. Paulsbo has nice features for this size device - video decode and good 3D. I'm also sure that Apple will have got an awesome pricing deal from Intel.
  • Reply 16 of 124
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think he tends to say such things to divert attention. The people that know better than to listen to a mouthpiece would look this stuff up anyway.

There were about $17B in US book sales and apparently still growing. The music industry is a bit over $10B and shrinking.

Agreed.

Besides which the Kindle *is* crap, and people really *don't* read many books anymore.

The problem is that people read that comment the wrong way.

"the Kindle is crap" == "we can make one waaay better than that thing"

"people don't read anymore" == "people would read more if there were good electronic books"
  • Reply 17 of 124
    This would be neat if it could be used as a hand held display/tablet for any of your current macs - Lets say I have a mac mini which I do connected to my Plasma however I do not wish to stop watching my movie so instead the mc mini can switch to the hand held monitor that connects via wifi or something to that effect...???

I would grab one of these for sure.
  • Reply 18 of 124
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

However, this sounds interesting. 3G iPhone this week and the tablet on WWDC08?! Probably explain the AT&T vacation memo and todays iPhone limit memo. I might be wrong.

I wonder if this refers to the postcard invitation to WWDC '08. "A landmark event in more ways than one" with the two Golden Gate bridges?
  • Reply 19 of 124
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    Close, but the device will not have a black bar along the left (top) of the device, only one at the bottom where the Home button is. In other words, it will have an iMac "chin". The resolution will be 1280 by 720, the screen will be OLED and 6" diagonal.
  • Reply 20 of 124
    dshandshan Posts: 53member
    Apple may be working on such a device, but given the current Atom's limitations I doubt it'll be anything announced at WWDC or thereabouts. 1G Atom's power usage is too high too be useful to Apple in the hand-held space (a 2G Air is a more likely home for the 1G Atom). If they do such a device in the near term (i.e. this year) it'll probably have an ARM processor not an x86 chip (the ARM version of OS X is already available and multi-touch-enabled, as are many ARM binary OS X multi-touch apps), but next year the 2G version of Atom is another story. Then the x86 may be competitive with ARM for hand-held devices and Apple may well switch to it (hello universal binary multi-touch apps and SDK).