Steve Jobs to showcase OS X, iPhone platforms at WWDC

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post

I'm guessing Cougar, myself.

They could get a promotional tie-in with the "Sex in the City" girls...
  • Reply 62 of 69
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The Intel effect. There's no longer that feeling that "anything" come come because Macs now run on commodity hardware. Everyone knows Intel's roadmap and now we all know that for Macs ...Apple will be following this path.

Too bad, with PPC, most of the "anything can come" never came.
  • Reply 63 of 69
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

Too bad, with PPC, most of the "anything can come" never came.

Ain't that the truth. The hope was palpable though. Frankly at this point I'm excited about the hardware but in truth the software needs to catch up. There is no Moore's Law of software development unfortunately. The faster my computers gets the slower my software gets.
  • Reply 64 of 69
    mr squidmr squid Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

I wonder if we will hear about os x 10.6 yet? Leopard is long out, the iphone sdk is long out, what's next for developers?

I would rather that Apple fixed 10.5 before they start working on 10.6. As it stands now wireless is badly broken, so there is no much point installing 10.5 on a laptop.
  • Reply 65 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think Apple reps were saying that they want to shorten development cycles again. I wouldn't be surprised if they shoot for middle of next year, that would be about 2 years. Keep in mind that some of the earlier releases were 1yr (Jaguar?), 18 months (Panther), two years (Tiger) between revisions. Leopard was the longest at something like 2.5 years.

I would much rather that Apple lengthened the development cycle for new OSes. There are no glaring holes in Leopard (other than the crippled wireless and a handful of bugs in some of the new features) that need a new version of the OS to fix. It would make more sense for Apple to wait until they have a significant new development, such as a working ZFS, or a major improvement to the GUI, before issuing 10.6.

I would also like to see Apple hold off with releasing 10.6 until it really is ready for public use. The wireless problems with 10.5 are so bad that Leopard is almost useless on a laptop. A problem like that should never have gotten out into the wild. The best thing to do with the next OS will be to wait until problems like this are resolved before releasing it, even if it means holding off for several months.
  • Reply 66 of 69
    [QUOTE=lostkiwi;1251133]Yeah, Cougar sounds nice. Unfortunately it has an 80's rock reference to it/QUOTE]

So does Leopard. I doubt that many people even notice cultural references to the '80s anymore It was so long ago.
  • Reply 67 of 69
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Squid View Post

I would rather that Apple fixed 10.5 before they start working on 10.6. As it stands now wireless is badly broken, so there is no much point installing 10.5 on a laptop.

Do you honestly think Operating Systems are developed sequentially? 10.6 probably started 6 months after Leopard and have thus been developed concurrently. Let's hope 10.5.3 fixes the wireless problems.
  • Reply 68 of 69
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Squid View Post

I would also like to see Apple hold off with releasing 10.6 until it really is ready for public use. The wireless problems with 10.5 are so bad that Leopard is almost useless on a laptop. A problem like that should never have gotten out into the wild. The best thing to do with the next OS will be to wait until problems like this are resolved before releasing it, even if it means holding off for several months.

It's not as if Apple is releasing 10.6 this year.

I don't think it is as if Apple only works on one operating system version at once. I think it is at least two.
  • Reply 69 of 69
    jsavagejsavage Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by suhail View Post

The Finder still sucks, file browsing on XP is much easier than on OSX, Apple might be selling more machines now than before but they're losing their edge in user-experience that they once had.

Also, I don't know how many people use dual-monitors but having two separate applications each running on a separate monitor is not at all intuitive on OSX, the menu bar can only exist on one of the two screen, and again XP gives you menus on both screens.

You can't move or change file-names in the open/save window, you can't remove the "permanent" sidepanel in Finder window, can't disable the file-info column in the column view, and reducing a columns width prematurely eats file names and it does it from the center-out!! AAARRRGH

Finally someone said it!