Help with Ubuntu

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm running Ubuntu Hardy Herron under VMWare fusion. I'm giving it a test drive to see what its all about. I installed it from the disk image I downloaded from Canonical website.

Anyway, I can't get Ubuntu to mount CDs. This works fine with WIndows XP running under fusion.

Any ideas? I wonder if the installation was corrupted or something. The installation seemed to go well but the Ubuntu file was huge. Some linux versions have a way to verify the file prior to installation but I didn't see a way to do so for Ubuntu.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Are the VMWare tools installed? I don't know if that might be the reason but...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Are the VMWare tools installed? I don't know if that might be the reason but...

No. I thought I read that the tools didn't work with Ubuntu.

I do have them installed on my Windows VM and it functions properly. Hmm....
  • Reply 3 of 5
    http://peterc.org/2008/62-how-to-ins...re-fusion.html

This is what I followed step by step to get the tools working. Works fine except for mouse scrolling...

It looks difficult but I have only very basic Linux knowledge and got it up and running in no time so it shouldn't be that hard

I don't know if it'll solve this specific problem though...

By the Ubuntu file, do you mean the iso you installed from? that should be around 800MB
  • Reply 4 of 5
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

http://peterc.org/2008/62-how-to-ins...re-fusion.html

This is what I followed step by step to get the tools working. Works fine except for mouse scrolling...

It looks difficult but I have only very basic Linux knowledge and got it up and running in no time so it shouldn't be that hard

I don't know if it'll solve this specific problem though...

By the Ubuntu file, do you mean the iso you installed from? that should be around 800MB

Yes the iso I installed was about 700 mbs I think. A pretty big file. It took about 2 hrs to download using a DSL connection at work.

Man I'm nervous about going into terminal. I don't do command line.

I'll make sure to take a snapshot before proceeding.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Yes the iso I installed was about 700 mbs I think. A pretty big file. It took about 2 hrs to download using a DSL connection at work.

Man I'm nervous about going into terminal. I don't do command line.

I'll make sure to take a snapshot before proceeding.

Jup, snapshot is best.

I'm not a command line whiz either, but just copy and paste the lines they use and you should be fine