virus in mac?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
i usually believe in the security of mac osx, but recently my friends kept asking me what kind of link i sent to them via msn messenger which im not aware of. it sounds like typical windows virus. is there any way i can check if my leopard is cracked up? i notice that my messenger from time to time display "log in in another location" and when i log in again, people ask about the link "i" sent.

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    rob05aurob05au Posts: 348member
    The problem would be picked up whilst in transit via msn messanger which for the windows sidw is known for virus attacks.

It sounds more like someone nasty has grabbed your info from msn.

A couple of things to try change you login info when using msn to see if anything chnages

Depending on which mac os x version you are running try downloading clamxav the latest version and run it at least it should give an indication of whether you may have something which cannot harm the mac os but can cause havoc on pc side.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

i usually believe in the security of mac osx, but recently my friends kept asking me what kind of link i sent to them via msn messenger which im not aware of. it sounds like typical windows virus. is there any way i can check if my leopard is cracked up? i notice that my messenger from time to time display "log in in another location" and when i log in again, people ask about the link "i" sent.

What you are describing is called spoofing. Nasty people have acquired a list of MSN usernames including yours and is using it to send spam everyone else on the list. As to how they got your password, only you have any idea of where you may have stored it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob05au View Post

The problem would be picked up whilst in transit via msn messanger which for the windows sidw is known for virus attacks.

It sounds more like someone nasty has grabbed your info from msn.

A couple of things to try change you login info when using msn to see if anything chnages

Depending on which mac os x version you are running try downloading clamxav the latest version and run it at least it should give an indication of whether you may have something which cannot harm the mac os but can cause havoc on pc side.

Thanks for your advice. I tried clamxav and it said no virus was attached to my mac.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

What you are describing is called spoofing. Nasty people have acquired a list of MSN usernames including yours and is using it to send spam everyone else on the list. As to how they got your password, only you have any idea of where you may have stored it.

Is it useful just to change my password?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

Is it useful just to change my password?

yes!!