Mac OS X 10.5.3 moving along, on course with iPhone 2.0?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    Don't panic Ktappe! It's not your responsibility to manage other peoples expectations. As long as you know you are doing your job then that's all matters.

I preferred the way you could view results by category in 10.4 and the way the search results window was organised generally. When you choose ?Show all results?? in 10.5 it is pretty much meaningless. All you get is one big folder of icons.

Nevertheless there are things that are improvements:

[1] Speed ? quick enough to use as app launcher

[2] Dictionary and Calculator, which are really handy and I personally used a lot.

[3] Search contents of recently viewed webpages (in Safari) ? stick your AI username into spotlight and see what comes back!

[4] Network search.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Maybe I am alone here, but does Spotlight under Leopard suck compared to the Tiger implementation?

I always found things more accurately with Tiger and the Find... option in the Finder was better overall.

Is it just me?

There was a major bug in spotlight (or the file system depending on your POV) in 10.5 that was fixed in 10.5.2. I reported it and worked with Apple engineers in getting them information. The reported UID and GID of a file was different under sudo than under the user and this caused Spotlight to miss files consistently during the initial indexing. If you, for example, renamed a file and named it back - which generate an FSEvent - then spotlight picked it up and was ok until you reindexed (sudo mdutil -E /).

This was extremely consistent behavior. I fixed my disk with a script which fixed all GID and UID's but its also been fixed undo 10.5.2.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strask View Post

In so many ways, Leopard is just a big mess. Talking with a senior support person at Apple, I gather that some folks have few or no problems at all and some systems are simply plagued by bugs. My computer falls into the latter category.

What I wonder is, with problems at this level, can't some of these fixes be delivered ahead of the major release? Or can't 10.5.3 be broken into two releases so those of us who have not experienced this kind of buggy behavior with our Macs since the dawn of OSX can have a little relief?

When I first installed 10.4 on my iMac G5, I had a ridiculous number of crashes. Eventually it turned out that the machine had a hardware fault (as I recall, it had new RAM and a new logic board before it became stable).

A major new release may have the effect of causing crashes by exposing a hardware fault that the previous system happened by luck not to exercise. If you are having a ridiculous number of crashes, I recommend doing some hardware diagnostics (assuming you've already eliminated the other causes by doing a clean install, no non-standard add-ons, etc.).
  • Reply 24 of 47
    naphtalinaphtali Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DayLight View Post

one the of the main things that keeps bugging me with Mac OS 10.5.2 is the bloody wireless certificates.. i'd have to switch locations acouple of times as well as turning airport on and off a couple of times before it would let me log in at my university network. and despite the fact that i've accepted saved the certificate at my Uni. it keeps on asking me for the password each time it lets me connect.

this happens everytime i put the laptop to sleep "closing the lid even for a second" and the waking up. i just lose the connection and takes acouple of minutes trying to get it to connect, for it to work.

it gets embarrassing at times when you're showing your friends your latest macbook pro laptop and it can't do what their old windows laptop can do without a sweat.

hope they bloody fix this soon.

that and the screen dimming problem.

for ref. i have a MacBook Pro 2.5GHz the last rev.

That's strange - I'm usually the only one in the group with working WLAN The other Windows users would usually fumble around for a few minutes figuring out what's wrong.

It works so well I don't dare install the AirPort updates yet. That's probably one of the hits/misses that affect certain people, like my old machine completely staying offline.

For the certificate issue, I think you could edit something in Keychain Access such that it's always accepted.

Are you on a 15" MBP? I upgraded from a 17" PowerBook to a 15" MBP and found the 15"'s ambient light sensor to be way too sensitive. It caused the frequent dimming so I just disabled it. I think it's just too close to the keyboard
  • Reply 25 of 47
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strask View Post

In so many ways, Leopard is just a big mess. Talking with a senior support person at Apple, I gather that some folks have few or no problems at all and some systems are simply plagued by bugs. My computer falls into the latter category.

What I wonder is, with problems at this level, can't some of these fixes be delivered ahead of the major release? Or can't 10.5.3 be broken into two releases so those of us who have not experienced this kind of buggy behavior with our Macs since the dawn of OSX can have a little relief?

Sorry to hear about your predicament. Have you narrowed down where the bugginess is? Is it a PowerPC machine?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

Leopard has become a bit of a juggernaut as Apple tries to encompass its entire business model into its OS. There are a lot of balls in the air...let's hope they stay there.

For the most part, Leopard IMO is pretty impressive.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

...By 10.3.4 and 10.4.4 the lab where I work was confident enough in OSX that we were able to image a single Mac Hard disk and roll it out to over 20 different mac machines without issue, including mac book pros, imacs, etc...

I've been doing 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 NetBoot/ NetInstall over 3 or so retail stores with average of 10 demo Macs at each store. Frickin' fast and pretty flawless. A technology that most people using Windows (especially in this sad third-world country) can't even grasp at this stage. Not to say I'm hella great but within a country and across the world, the "intelligence (however you want to define it) divide" is pretty massive. Not to mention poverty, healthcare, food supply, etc. challenges.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by naphtali View Post

That's strange - I'm usually the only one in the group with working WLAN The other Windows users would usually fumble around for a few minutes figuring out what's wrong...

You know, given 802.11n is still "draft", and we're dealing with radio signals, I'm generally not always happy with all parties involved. Apple and otherwise
  • Reply 27 of 47
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    Interesting to read some of the comments here.

While I too am suffering through the disgraceful bugginess of Leopard, at this point, I actually would like one, massive update and get Leopard to be commercial quality. I don't want to wait until 10.5.8 to finally get a good OS.

Yes, I am anxious for the next release, especially since it appears Apple is hammering out tons of bugs. But I'd rather wait at this point and get a rock solid Leopard in the next release. Sure, there will be still be bugs, but hopefully Leopard will finally be worthy of the Apple name.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I would prefer that Apple release the fixes they already have rather than delaying 10.5.3 to add more.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I would prefer that Apple release the fixes they already have rather than delaying 10.5.3 to add more.

I would rather apple test the release thoughtfully and add more bug fix to it then hurry the release.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

No matter what you or we or I prefer, doing what you suggest only adds complexity to the development and testing, and we know how complex they already are. This way bugs slip more easily in the final release.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    redbackredback Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

I would agree. Usually Apple hits it pretty hard on the head after the x.3 update anyway, its just their modus operandi.

By 10.3.4 and 10.4.4 the lab where I work was confident enough in OSX that we were able to image a single Mac Hard disk and roll it out to over 20 different mac machines without issue, including mac book pros, imacs, etc...

That says a LOT for Apple, I think, because you sure as hell could not image a single windows computer and then re-image that drive on any old windows machine and even expect it to boot, necessarily.

One should really stick with what one knows , rather than off blowing stream !!

Ingorance is ya undoing with anything too do with NT architecture given ya statement with reguards too reimaging NT architecture itself. Ever heard of SYSPREP !!! read it !

Cheers
  • Reply 32 of 47
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BWhaler View Post

While I too am suffering through the disgraceful bugginess of Leopard, at this point, I actually would like one, massive update and get Leopard to be commercial quality. I don't want to wait until 10.5.8 to finally get a good OS.

Yes, I am anxious for the next release, especially since it appears Apple is hammering out tons of bugs. But I'd rather wait at this point and get a rock solid Leopard in the next release. Sure, there will be still be bugs, but hopefully Leopard will finally be worthy of the Apple name.

Oh, wat a great idea. Stick with the bugs now, and get 10.5.3 released in 2 years time bug-free? Nup. Either way, 10.5.8 will come out within 2 months of planned. You can choose whether you want all the bugs fixed as much as they can now, or you can wait.

In principle, major major updates are fine, and best. Less tampering with the OS. Everything is streamlined and designed for the ultrastable OS build you have. Programs won't be covering bugs, and the workarounds won't be there so it will be faster (yes, there are bugs apple does know about but won't fix at that minute as they take too much time, so programs just get around them - same as the iPhone OS betas at the moment)

There's one problem. While they get all the kinks out, you are stuck with your buggy OS. Its not a legitimate way to do business. Its just like service pack 3 for XP. It took 4 or so years to get out. Thats horrific. Its pretty darn stable, but its just way too long.

People will go "It took till 10.5.3 to work out this many bugs!", and then my reply will be "would you rather they release it now, a year after release, and you had to live for 9 months with ALL the bugs?" - people will say "No way!"
  • Reply 33 of 47
    martinzmartinz Posts: 92member
    Quite. The concept of '10.5.8' only means what it means to us from the history of the OS. Apple could change things up with more frequent point point updates fixing fewer bugs each and 10.5.8 could hit within a month.

Okay, maybe that makes it more likely that more bugs will be introduced with releases, but in turn it also means they again will get fixed quicker, rather than us just living with them for months and months.

Personally I'm tending towards a preference for change.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Maybe I am alone here, but does Spotlight under Leopard suck compared to the Tiger implementation?

I always found things more accurately with Tiger and the Find... option in the Finder was better overall.

Is it just me?

I find spotlight in Leopard to be just as accurate as in Tiger but its much faster in Leopard. I also like the dictionary function. Quite handy for me.

My 2 cents.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by naphtali View Post

That's strange - I'm usually the only one in the group with working WLAN The other Windows users would usually fumble around for a few minutes figuring out what's wrong.

It works so well I don't dare install the AirPort updates yet. That's probably one of the hits/misses that affect certain people, like my old machine completely staying offline.

For the certificate issue, I think you could edit something in Keychain Access such that it's always accepted.

Are you on a 15" MBP? I upgraded from a 17" PowerBook to a 15" MBP and found the 15"'s ambient light sensor to be way too sensitive. It caused the frequent dimming so I just disabled it. I think it's just too close to the keyboard

I sometimes have the issue he describes, with my MacBook under 10.5.2.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Redback View Post

One should really stick with what one knows , rather than off blowing stream !!

Ingorance is ya undoing with anything too do with NT architecture given ya statement with reguards too reimaging NT architecture itself. Ever heard of SYSPREP !!! read it !

Cheers

Redback = obvious anon no-nothing troll.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Is it just me?

Speaking of spotlight, it would be nice to be able to set the results window to something each user prefers. I hate that I always have to move, resize, etc. And why do I have to get safari history results?
  • Reply 38 of 47
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MartiNZ View Post

Quite. The concept of '10.5.8' only means what it means to us from the history of the OS. Apple could change things up with more frequent point point updates fixing fewer bugs each and 10.5.8 could hit within a month.

Okay, maybe that makes it more likely that more bugs will be introduced with releases, but in turn it also means they again will get fixed quicker, rather than us just living with them for months and months.

Personally I'm tending towards a preference for change.

Hmm... I don't agree with 8 point releases in a moth

As you say, more bugs will be programmed into it.

Apple has found good balance. If you release too often, the bug builds will alter the architecture too much so that it is actually different to how it was planned, and no testing time will be allowed.

A bug workaround, when a bug is fixed, can actually turn into a bug itself, or ten bugs possibly. Now, if they do point releases that often, it may actually take them longer to fix those issues, as testing must occur, and they will get reports of all the bugs - they will combat from first to last. Minor bugs created by eliminating more major ones may be far more prevalent, but they probably wouldn't fix them straight away. In the current system, almost always, when the bugs are removed, the programs are altered so they don't sidestep the bug.

Releasing Mega-Bug Hell in an attempt to eradicate bugs is just pointless. Work on each bug, and compile a half -decent update with it. Never leave more bugs than when you started...

that approach wastes time.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    gastroboygastroboy Posts: 530member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BWhaler View Post

All I am hoping for is a fix to the FireWire bug that is plaguing me and many other users on older hardware.

Why does Apple screw up its own technology (for the 2nd time now on FW) whilst leaving USB to look the much safer option.

As a graphic designer I do enjoy the advantages of CoverFlow and the way Leopard freely displays previews of graphics and fonts in many different and useful ways, but wow does it come at a cost! I have 6 external FireWire hard drives and devices now inaccessible from my iMac G5 since I upgraded.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

As a graphic designer I do enjoy the advantages of CoverFlow and the way Leopard freely displays previews of graphics and fonts in many different and useful ways, but wow does it come at a cost! I have 6 external FireWire hard drives and devices now inaccessible from my iMac G5 since I upgraded.

Strange - haven't seen that one. You *do* follow the suggestion to disconnect those external drives during the upgrade process, right? (Got bitten by that one once - drive was nastily corrupted after a while. I think that was 10.2 though...)