Case maker's website hammered on claim of 3G iPhone protector

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The website of a little-known case maker was pounded with traffic and essentially knocked off line early Monday afternoon after it posted renderings of a so-called "iPhone 3G" protective holder and said the product was available for shipping.

Dubbed the "EXO Mask iPhone 3G," the case by maker XSKN largely resembles any one of the various protective holders already available for the first generation iPhone. However, it's gaining attention on various blogs because the large cutouts in the area of the iPhone's earpiece and speaker would presumably conform to a rumored rearrangement of the handset's sensors and lower grill design.

It should be noted that the renderings most likely represent a ploy by the case maker to generate traffic to its website and are unlikely to provide any credible insight into what may be expected next month when Apple formally unveils its first-ever 3G handset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    "Copyright April 2 2008."

Nuff said I think...
  • Reply 2 of 23
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    30 seconds of my life I won't get back.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    I soooo beat you to this!

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=87087

Where's my credit huh

And the reason it got hammer is it sent out a mass e-mail, which I got because I've ordered from them before, where's that in the article :P
  • Reply 4 of 23
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

I soooo beat you to this!

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=87087

Where's my credit huh

And the reason it got hammer is it sent out a mass e-mail, which I got because I've ordered from them before, where's that in the article :P

Might as well paste the copy of the email for the sake of completeness =P

Best,

K
  • Reply 5 of 23
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Might as well paste the copy of the email for the sake of completeness =P

Best,

K

Here you go:

• Reply 6 of 23
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Hahaha

"iPhone 3"

Nuff said. Its a fake. The iPhone 3G will actually be the iPhone 2 (which will get really confusing unless they change it to iPhone v2 (version 2) and thats a 3G one.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Hahaha

"iPhone 3"

Nuff said. Its a fake. The iPhone 3G will actually be the iPhone 2 (which will get really confusing unless they change it to iPhone v2 (version 2) and thats a 3G one.

I can't find where it says "iPhone 3".
  • Reply 8 of 23
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I can't find where it says "iPhone 3".

First sentence of the email.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

First sentence of the email.

I didn't see that, but It looks more like a typo to me than anything else. If they meant iPhone 3, then I don't think there would be five references to "IPhone 3G". It could very well be fake, but that's not a very convincing reason to call it fake.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Nice renders!
  • Reply 11 of 23
    bobo28bobo28 Posts: 59member
    It'll take about what, 4-6 weeks to find out if it fits ? I wonder if they'll give refunds if it dosn't ?
  • Reply 12 of 23
    marc osxmarc osx Posts: 45member
    I got this email as well, without having bought anything previously and after trying a trick like this I certainly won't be buying anything in the future. Well done marketing department, you've succesfully alienated your target market and probably Apple as well - good luck getting any 'made for iPhone' licenses.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    bobo28bobo28 Posts: 59member
    Maybe the "iphone3 isn't made by Apple ? I wonder if they sell the blue striped shirt , I like that .
  • Reply 14 of 23
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Has Apple ever introduced an updated product that is thicker than its predecessor?

I'm having trouble recalling this ever happening before.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    lhunterlhunter Posts: 13member
    Could be legit.

The IPhone 3G could be bigger for several reasons, including:

* the need for a larger battery

* inclusion of gps

* additional camera

It seems like this happened to the redesigned Nano too...guess we'll see in 3 weeks.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    GUYS GUYS I THINK IT IS THE REAL THING. IT'S REAL.

sjobs was over 30 mins ago, the stupid bitch can't get a 360 of his own. we had steak too. he said he would no longer be vegan and that they'll start making FUGLY ASS looking phones from now on. and releasing the designs through little known case manufacturers, such as this one.

SO I SAY REAL.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

Has Apple ever introduced an updated product that is thicker than its predecessor?

I'm having trouble recalling this ever happening before.

That is true; however, 3G consumes more power than EDGE and therefore may require a larger battery.

These renderings do not look fake at all. According to the large opening around the speaker, Apple seems to have placed two Proximity sensors, one on each side of the speaker. The Home button looks a little odd, I wounder if it turns like a Paddle.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    tivortivor Posts: 3member
    Clearly a case of "fake until proven real." (yes, the pun is intended)
  • Reply 19 of 23
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    I'm going to retract my statement which stated that the iPhone is 'real'. The form might be correct but the iPhone used is an old model Photoshopped into the new case design.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Look at the upper left hand corner. "Cingular".