Piper sees iPod boost; Sybase for iPhone; Japan/Korea rumor

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Analysts at Piper Jaffray see iPod shipments on the rise and suggests Apple is bucking fears of a continued downturn. Also, Sybase is readying a native iPhone app, AT&T may offer iPhone insurance, and two carriers in Japan and Korea may launch the iPhone at the same time.

Piper boosts iPod forecast on strong sales

Recent NPD data suggests Apple is allaying fears of a flat or shrinking iPod market, according to a new investors' note from Piper Jaffray senior analyst Gene Munster.

Extrapolating from April sales based on Apple's past history, researchers at Piper have increased their early predictions for Apple's iPod shipments from the official 10.2 million units to as much as 10.5 to 11 million units shipped by the end of June. The range would represent a one percent quarter-to-quarter increase in volume -- a significant turnaround from Apple's average six percent drop between the winter and spring quarters in earlier years, Munster says.

"We [at Piper] see this data point as a slight positive, given recent uncertainty surrounding the iPod as a long-term growth story," he observes.

The analyst also observes that Apple's average selling price for April is higher than forecast by Piper, climbing from $172 to $175, despite the spring representing the discounted iPod shuffle's first full quarter on sale.

Sybase preps native iPhone app

Adding to the iPhone's corporate appeal, Sybase on Monday said it would sell business software that would provide "enterprise grade" secure e-mail to the iPhone similar to methods used by Palm and Research in Motion.

Company official John Chen hasn't committed to a release date but expects the app to be available "soon," and most likely available before the end of the year. Apple debuts the App Store next month.

A version of the software is also coming to Google's open-source Android operating system, Chen says.

AT&T readying all-device insurance?

AT&T could soon extend its phone insurance to all devices, according to a purported leak at the Pinstack forums.

A tipster at the smartphone site claims the US provider will offer a $5 monthly plan that insures every phone, including expensive devices such as the AT&T Tilt. Users will also never have to pay more than a $50 deductible, the report adds.

While unconfirmed, the plan would provide relatively frugal insurance and is likely to include the iPhone.

Japan, Korea in joint iPhone launch?

Two of Asia's most sought-after cellphone markets may carry the iPhone at the same time, according to a report by Telecoms Korea (paid registration required).

Both Japan's predominant carrier, NTT DoCoMo, and Korea Telecom Freetel (KTF) are allegedly in talks that would release the iPhone at the same time in their respective countries. The device would necessarily be the 3G model, as both nations use WCDMA for their calling networks -- a feature unsupported by the 2G phone.

While an existing announcement of the handset for India and Singapore fulfills Apple's predictions of an Asian iPhone launch in 2008, the Japanese and Korean launches are seen as crucial for bolstering Apple's worldwide marketshare.

NTT DoCoMo has previously confirmed talks with Apple in the past but is thought to have held out to date in part because of Apple's past insistence on revenue sharing, which has been potentially reversed following iPhone deals announced for more than 40 countries.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    You know, I just had an argument with a coworker about cell phone insurance. From what I understand, if you get your phone wet... at all, all bets are off. I just kinda think people are getting screwed with this -- I'm of the school of thought that you should always be self insured when you can afford it, if its profitable for the company, its gonna average out to profitable for you.

oh, and first post, groovy.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Japan & Korea

Am I correct in thinking that NTT DoMoCo uses 2100 and 1900, which are used extensively around the world; but KTF uses the 1700MHz spectrum which is used by T-Mobile in the US and not many other places so it probably won't be on the iPhone?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

From what I understand, if you get your phone wet... at all, all bets are off. I just kinda think people are getting screwed with this

I bet it skips really well over a lake too
  • Reply 3 of 28
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Yippie! It be comming to Japan!

Me wants!

Me wants!

Gimme, gimme, gimme.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Apple had better improve their Call Center and Customer Relations offices in Japan before launch day; both offices suck big-time right now and they risk losing customers after they interact with them.

The Call Center sometimes doesn't know if a product is an Apple product or not, and the Customer Relations office doesn't return phone calls for weeks (over a month waiting now). Most Japanese will be put off by such unprofessional service.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Apple had better improve their Call Center and Customer Relations offices in Japan before launch day; both offices suck big-time right now and they risk losing customers after they interact with them.

The Call Center sometimes doesn't know if a product is an Apple product or not, and the Customer Relations office doesn't return phone calls for weeks (over a month waiting now). Most Japanese will be put off by such unprofessional service.

This is completely avoidable and unnecessary. Why the long delays, Apple?
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

You know, I just had an argument with a coworker about cell phone insurance. From what I understand, if you get your phone wet... at all, all bets are off. I just kinda think people are getting screwed with this -- I'm of the school of thought that you should always be self insured when you can afford it, if its profitable for the company, its gonna average out to profitable for you.

Well for something like an iPhone it might prove cost effective for some people. Imagine shelling out $300 or whatever for an iPhone and 12 months later you knock it off a table and accidentally step on it. If you have the insurance then that's only $5 x 12 or $60 for the replacement (or even $110 if they charge something like a $50 deductible). It doesn't become cost effective only after 50 months if you spent $300 on the iPhone and have to pay a $50 deductible. That's just over 4 years. Of course at that point you've effectively paid for a new iPhone... But I think a lot of people would be willing to pay that to cover themselves if they damage their phone within that 4 year period. But as you say, water damage likely isn't included so that's another thing to take into consideration.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This is completely avoidable and unnecessary. Why the long delays, Apple?

A very, very good question. They simply don't seem to care. As long as they sell product, screw the customer who bought it and needs help.

This will work for a short time, but customers won't return, which is the momentum that has save Apple all along.

With hoards of new customers who will flock to the iPhone, they really risk a PR disaster.

With sales up (in Japan, too) they should be able to afford better training and operations. Honestly, I have gotten better service fro the 100-yen shop ($1 shop) down the street that pays its staff minimum wage and doesn't profess to be the best at anything.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    iPhone will be Apple's Trojan Horse into the Enterprise and OS X with Enterprise Tools are ready to go. It's nice to see the big iron database providers want in.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Some quick-and-dirty (hopefully not too incorrect) math.

$5 per month for two years is $120. Plus the $50 deductible in the event that something goes wrong = $170. Assuming the device costs $400, that you are risk-neutral, and that your credit card does not offer some sort of purchase warranty, you would spring for this insurance only if you felt strongly that there was more than a 42% chance that your iPhone will need replacement during the two years. (Of course, if you are risk-averse, you will settle for a lower probability depending on the level of your risk-tolerance).

Speaking for myself, I will not be buying such insurance. Sounds like a complete rip-off.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Pants, China doesn't have 3G Network yet does that mean apple wont be releasing an iPhone for another few years in China?
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Dunno. Is the current iPhone compatible with the current Chinese infrastructure? If so, then they could release the current model. The potential market is huge beyond huge, so...
  • Reply 12 of 28
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Yeah I can't wait for it to come to Japan but the phone won't like the torrential rains. Guess I'll have to look for some nice slick protector for it.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    jcollin3kjcollin3k Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Yeah I can't wait for it to come to Japan but the phone won't like the torrential rains. Guess I'll have to look for some nice slick protector for it.

Are you implying that the other phones we have here in Japan now are waterproof?

I just worry that when the iPhone finally does come to Japan, most of its online services (at least the ones with direct buttons on the home screen) will be in Japanese only, like how pretty much all cell phone services are on existing phones here now.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    samurai1999samurai1999 Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcollin3k View Post

Are you implying that the other phones we have here in Japan now are waterproof?

I just worry that when the iPhone finally does come to Japan, most of its online services (at least the ones with direct buttons on the home screen) will be in Japanese only, like how pretty much all cell phone services are on existing phones here now.

So you just need to learn a few Kanji

• Reply 15 of 28
    vprpvprp Posts: 1member
    I'm looking forward to the iPhone coming to Korea. It's going to do great here.

I wonder how much they're going to price it at? The people here don't blink at paying $500 for a phone and many of the high-end phones go for $700 or $800. Having been born and raised in the U.S., I'm still not at the point where I think spending $7-800 for a phone is worth it.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    When the iPhone gets over here, then I'll believe it. It took Motorola over 10 years to break into the Japanese market. However here's hoping for a new era, the iPod took less time to get here, anyway I'd gladly get rid of my complicated Sony Ericson Bravia cell phone for a simple to use iPhone. The manual for my present cell phone is almost one inch thick and it is not intuitive at all. If the iPhone is anything like using a Mac then I'll be in heaven.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcollin3k View Post

I'm not real sure on this, but you do mean the iPhone display? Because I am pretty sure that the iPhone supports multiple languages.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Sorry if you got bad service over here, but they are always courteous to me on the phone or in person. They replaced a faulty PowerBook of mine with a new one once, within a few days. Also had warranty work done on a G5, they replaced both CPU's and it was back at my house within the week. Perhaps recently their service has dropped?
  • Reply 19 of 28
    cdnalsicdnalsi Posts: 33member
    I don't get why AppleInsider keeps posting these "analysts" thoughts and rumblings?

Don't wanna be a d**k but, seriously, who cares?
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeedAnewMac View Post

Sorry if you got bad service over here, but they are always courteous to me on the phone or in person. They replaced a faulty PowerBook of mine with a new one once, within a few days. Also had warranty work done on a G5, they replaced both CPU's and it was back at my house within the week. Perhaps recently their service has dropped?

I have had almost nothing but trouble with Apple Japan (Call Center, Store, and now Customer Relations) for many years and have written about it here on AI in various places. Presently, I am intent upon writing directly to Steve Jobs but cannot get the background info (my own history with the Call Center) in order to complete the letter because the Customer Relations office will not return my call; I have been waiting over a month. My local rep is looking into the situation and we will meet again this weekend. He works for Apple and is stunned by their unprofessionalism. He has had many, many complaints about the Call Center, he said, but was surprised that the CR office also seems to have its share of problems. The assistant manager at the Apple Store in Fukuoka also said he has received many complaints about the CC and that Apple is aware of some problems and is supposedly working on them, but... Apple Japan basically seems rotten to its core and needs a real good fixing. My letter to Steve is actually a follow-up to a recommendation from these two Apple reps who were very embarrassed by my tale. Indeed, that I have remained an Apple customer over the years astounds even myself. Guess as a creative type I like the designs, but the quality of build and the support after the sale are severely lacking.