Drobo and Time Machine

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Over the past few months I've lightly considered purchasing a Drobo, now that I'm getting close to filling up the hard drive on my MBP I have really been giving it some serious thought. I would like to move my iTunes library and iPhoto libraries over to it and free up the space on my laptop.

I am also looking to upgrade to Leopard soon. I know Apple's official stance is that time machine backups are not supported wirelessly but will work when a machine is "plugged in" to the network. Am I to assume that Time Machine builds a cache of sorts and then moves it over to the network drive one the machine has a wired connection?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I've heard nothing but great things about the Drobo. It looks like a super simple solution for back-up with rock solid redundancy built in.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I'm expecting LaCie or Western Digital to saddle up and take on the Drobo in the near future.

The Drobo seems like a good concept, but most Mac users trust a Firewire connection far more than USB for backups. Having bought a USB drive at Costco recently, I now share that sentiment as well.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Thanks for the input but I'm really interested on how time machine works with storage media when in wireless mode vs. wired mode. Correct me if I'm wrong but Time Machine will not back up to a storage location on the network when my MBP is operating in the wireless mode. If I understand Apple correctly, Time Machine only works when you are wired in to the network, correct?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Drobo goes Firewire 800!

Now there's a good reason to buy a Mac Pro right there.