Is My iPod Toast?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I go for very long periods without using my iPod. This morning, after probably three/four months of non-use, I plugged the iPod onto it's charging chord, and for the better part of an hour, it very faintly displayed "Please Wait - Very Low Battery".

After it displayed "Charged", I unplugged it from the charging chord and started navigating to my music list. About 5 seconds into the first song, it just went off. When I hit "Menu" on the dial, a silver aple log is displayed ona black screen for about 5 seconds and then goes off. The only time I can get it to stay on is if it's plugged in.

BTW, it's a 80gb unit that was bought last year around Father's day.

So what do you guys think might be wrong? Should I return it under warranty? (I bought it at Best Buy.)

EDIT - Evidently, it *is* toast. Apple wants me to send it back.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Sometimes if you use an original iPod charger (directly to the wall socket no computer needed), it can recharge the dormant battery state. Anyways hope it works out.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jsimmonsjsimmons Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Sometimes if you use an original iPod charger (directly to the wall socket no computer needed), it can recharge the dormant battery state. Anyways hope it works out.

Well, I tried that, and the minute you unplug it, it craps out. Evidently this problem is fairly widespread. When I try to do a restart on it, I can hear the hard drive spin up, and then immediately spin down. It's currently on its way to the iPod graveyard. The real bummer is that have to re-rip all my CDs.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    tarltarl Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post

The real bummer is that have to re-rip all my CDs.

Why do you have to re-rip? Did you delete the songs off your computer? Did the songs exist solely on your iPod? That's just bad planning on your part.

My non techie friends do this ALL the time. They want all the songs in the world at their disposal, but don't want to buy hard drives big enough to hold them all. So they copy the songs to their iPods, delete them from the computer and then turn on automatic sync.

And then I get a call that the "stupid iPod" deleted all their music. Sigh.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    jsimmonsjsimmons Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tarl View Post

Why do you have to re-rip?

Because Apple's quality control apparently sucks.

Quote:

Did you delete the songs off your computer?

No.

Quote:

Did the songs exist solely on your iPod?

No.

Quote:

That's just bad planning on your part.

I'm going to ignore the fact that you're being a tool, and I'll just mention that it just so happens that the hard drive where the songs/movies were originally ripped (a year ago) crashed and had to be replaced (a 500gb drive at that). The songs and movies, as well as about 300gb of backups for one of my other machines, were victims of the crash.

Quote:

My non techie friends do this ALL the time.

You mean even at the risk of drawing your ire at them being so foolish?

Quote:

So they copy the songs to their iPods, delete them from the computer and then turn on automatic sync.

OH GOD! NOT THAT!

Quote:

And then I get a call that the "stupid iPod" deleted all their music. Sigh.

My "stupid iPod" didn't delete anything. A more apt description is that my "stupid iPod" was defective piece of iCrap that went bad less than a year after I bought the thing (and after MAYBE a dozen uses in that time). Since Apple didn't see fit to include both a power input AND a non-powered USB port, I'm stuck having to re-rip my music and movies instead of being able to take them off the iPod before sending it in to be replaced.

Happy now?

EDIT - I forgot to mention that I've been building my own systems since about 1986, have been a programmer for almost 30 years. In other words, I was doing this stuff when 2K of RAM was considered a luxury, and well before you were a gleam in your daddy's eye. I think that elevates me well beyond your "non-techie" friends.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    nevermind
  • Reply 6 of 9
    phlakephlake Posts: 91member
    Wow, I wish I could see a copy of tarl's reply. That must have been epic.

This thread has been amazing, guys, truly amazing.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    shufflershuffler Posts: 4member
    Well, I think your Ipod is not yet toast.

I suggest reseting your ipod to factory settings.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phlake View Post

Wow, I wish I could see a copy of tarl's reply. That must have been epic.

This thread has been amazing, guys, truly amazing.

Nah. It wasn't all that. I just had second thoughts after posting it and took it down.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Nah. It wasn't all that. I just had second thoughts after posting it and took it down.

Very wise, no point replying to people like that.

I guess it is usual to try to blame someone else.

The Hard Drive failure was not Apple's fault.

The lack of a backup of the drives contents was not Apple's fault.

So what happens? Apple gets the blame because an iPod fails that a user is now trying to use as his backup.

He knows that the ipod is not designed for that purpose and that it does not even have the built in function to get music files back into iTunes.

I don't see how you can now blame Apple just because they did not design the ipod to have separate connections just so you can recover files!

The dock is a great design and serves the iPod very well, your suggestion would not be a good design!