All Apple MacBooks to use LED backlighting by 2009

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple plans for all of its MacBooks to use LED-backlit displays by 2009, completing a transition across its notebook lines away from mercury-laden panels that began last year with an update to its MacBook Pro.

According to a report in the Wednesday edition of the Chinese-language Economic Daily News, back light unit (BLU) maker Kenmos Technology will be the primary beneficiary of the move. The Taiwan-based firm is said to have been the Mac maker's primary supplier of LED BLUs in 2007 when it introduced BLU technology on the 15-inch MacBook Pro.

Since then, Apple has gone on to make LED-lit displays standard on its 13-inch MacBook Air. It also offers them as a build-to-order option on the more generously proportioned 17-inch MacBook Pro.

The movement is part of the company's charge towards "a greener Apple," which kicked into overdrive last year amid increased pressure from shareholders and environmental organizations who accused the electronics maker of dragging its feet when it came to removing environmentally harmful toxic chemicals from its products.

As part of an open letter on the matter, chief executive Steve Jobs said plans to reduce and eventually eliminate the use of mercury by transitioning to LED backlighting for all displays when technically and economically feasible.

"Our ability to completely eliminate fluorescent lamps in all of our displays depends on how fast the LCD industry can transition to LED backlighting for larger displays," he explained.

Jobs in the same letter added that Apple also has a plan to completely eliminate the use of arsenic in all of its displays by the end of 2008.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    Now Greenpeace will write a scathing letter, whining, saying it's not quick enough...
  • Reply 2 of 56
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    "All of its displays by the end of 2008" would lead me to believe that we might actually see a Cinema Display upgrade soon. Hell it's way overdue.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    vulcan1vulcan1 Posts: 56member
    Wow, what a surprise! Not...And i'm not sure if it's right to say that it's (only) because Apple wants to become greener, i think it's because they are just better than the conventional ones, pure and simple, and that they are sexier!!! If it makes Apple any greener then that's just a bonus.

Now please, bring that revised, slimmed down 30" Cinema Display with LED, HDMI etc, so that i can finally put my claws in one
  • Reply 4 of 56
    thegarthegar Posts: 92member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vulcan1 View Post

Now please, bring that revised, slimmed down 30" Cinema Display with LED, HDMI etc, so that i can finally put my claws in one

Ditto !!
  • Reply 5 of 56
    I wonder how long the led screens will last - there was a report a week or so ago that sony's new oled TV was performing at a fraction of what sony was representing the life of the screen would be.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    I'll settle for a new 23" but yeah, long, long over-due.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

I wonder how long the led screens will last - there was a report a week or so ago that sony's new oled TV was performing at a fraction of what sony was representing the life of the screen would be.

BLU LED is not the same as OLED.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Now Greenpeace will write a scathing letter, whining, saying it's not quick enough...

Probably, and then if Apple did everything they wanted they'd find something else to cry about. Though I do understand the POV of a previous Greenpeace statement that stated they are harder on Apple because they are the industry leaders and the others will follow.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    resnycresnyc Posts: 90member
    Has it been confirmed anywhere that the impending upgrades to the MacBook Pro line will have Blu LED displays as the standard option?
  • Reply 10 of 56
    ppoppppopp Posts: 6member
    Do you think the new MacBooks that are rumored to be released in Q3 of this year will have LED displays? I'm planning on buying one when they are released, and the possibility of an LED display is one of the reasons I was waiting. I figured that they would be LED since they (probably) would be sourced with the same displays as the MB Air. This new "LED backlighting by 2009" pledge by Apple now has me wondering.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    "Mercury laden"?

laden |ˈlādn|

adjective

heavily loaded or weighed down : a tree laden with apples | [in combination ] the moisture-laden air.

For them to be mercury laden I think mercury would have to make up around half of the material in the product. "Laden" sounds a little dramatic to me.

Something less "run for the hills" would be:

Apple plans for all MacBooks to use LED-backlit displays by 2009, a process that began last year with an update to its MacBook Pro. This would complete a transition across its notebook lines away from panels containing mercury.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"Mercury laden"?

laden |ˈlādn|

adjective

heavily loaded or weighed down : a tree laden with apples | [in combination ] the moisture-laden air.

For them to be mercury laden I think mercury would have to make up around half of the material in the product. "Laden" sounds a little dramatic to me.

Something less "run for the hills" would be:

Apple plans for all MacBooks to use LED-backlit displays by 2009, a process that began last year with an update to its MacBook Pro. This would complete a transition across its notebook lines away from panels containing mercury.

I agree that it is a strong word, but I'd also contend that it is not incorrectly used. As a ppm the amount of mercury is minimal, but mercury is very toxic and therefore it doesn't take much to be harmful so using it from a POV of its toxicity I would say it's acceptable.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    It's funny how on one hand Greenpeace is yelling about displays containing mercury but on the other they want everyone to move to CFLs for lighting your home.

There is a lot more mercury in all those CFL light bulbs that the amount in the CCFLs use for backlights.

But then who ever said that greenpeace knew what the hell they were talking about in the first place.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

• Reply 14 of 56
    maccentricmaccentric Posts: 263member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vulcan1 View Post

Wow, what a surprise! Not...And i'm not sure if it's right to say that it's (only) because Apple wants to become greener, i think it's because they are just better than the conventional ones, pure and simple, and that they are sexier!!! If it makes Apple any greener then that's just a bonus.

I think a big factor especially regarding mobile computers is the power savings which leads to increased battery life.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

I think a big factor especially regarding mobile computers is the power savings which leads to increased battery life.

And that is green in and of itself.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I agree that it is a strong word, but I'd also contend that it is not incorrectly used. As a ppm the amount of mercury is minimal, but mercury is very toxic and therefore it doesn't take much to be harmful so using it from a POV of its toxicity I would say it's acceptable.

Strength of toxicity has nothing to do with the amount of toxic material in this case. Computer displays contain it, but they are not "swimming" in it.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

It's funny how on one hand Greenpeace is yelling about displays containing mercury but on the other they want everyone to move to CFLs for lighting your home.

There is a lot more mercury in all those CFL light bulbs that the amount in the CCFLs use for backlights.

But then who ever said that greenpeace knew what the hell they were talking about in the first place.

Reminds me of the time Jobs chewed out protesters at one of the Apple stockholders meetings. He said they should hire engineers so they could understand what the hell they were complaining about.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Strength of toxicity has nothing to do with the amount of toxic material in this case. Computer displays contain it, but they are not "swimming" in it.

Hence, my statemnt of POV. Laden can also mean burdened or encumbered which doesn't imply a quantity, just an undesired attribute. Personally, I wouldn't have used laden as the colloquial definition tends to imply a vast amount of something, but that doesn't mean it's incorrect.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

Since when did greenpeace move from saving whales and preventing animal cruelty to becoming a shill for The Global Warming.

They never engaged in this Enviro-Nazi bull--it when I was growing up.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    More good news. They can introduce those new designed laptops any time now.