All Apple MacBooks to use LED backlighting by 2009

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    maccentricmaccentric Posts: 263member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timon View Post

It's funny how on one hand Greenpeace is yelling about displays containing mercury but on the other they want everyone to move to CFLs for lighting your home.

There is a lot more mercury in all those CFL light bulbs that the amount in the CCFLs use for backlights.

But then who ever said that greenpeace knew what the hell they were talking about in the first place.

The average CFL bulb has about 4 ml of mercury. The amount of mercury that would be released in the process of burning coal to provide the extra power to use an incandescent is about 12 ml. So even if the bulb is thrown away, that is still 8 ml less mercury being released into the environment. If the CFL is properly recycled, virtually none of the mercury in the bulb will be released.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Joseph Kesselring is rolling over in his shallow grave.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    [QUOTE=SpamSandwich;1254077]"Mercury laden"?

Mercury Laden = Bin Laden. They're messin' with us.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hence, my statemnt of POV. Laden can also mean burdened or encumbered which doesn't imply a quantity, just an undesired attribute. Personally, I wouldn't have used laden as the colloquial definition tends to imply a vast amount of something, but that doesn't mean it's incorrect.

I'll concede the point to the distinguished gentleman.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    [QUOTE=8CoreWhore;1254127]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"Mercury laden"?

Mercury Laden = Bin Laden. They're messin' with us.

I was going to make a similar comment, but decided it was just too easy.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    How long will it take for the rest of the industry to switch?

Are there any models besides this random Dell laptop that came up in my cursory Google search?
  • Reply 27 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by probably View Post

How long will it take for the rest of the industry to switch?

I'd say it'lll take several years before they completely switch. We have to take Dell's and HP's cheapest notebook and then figure out how old the tech is. Then figure out how much they are paying for the current display and then figure out how long it will take for LED BLU to come close ot that pricepoint. At least, that is how I'd try to figure it.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

The average CFL bulb has about 4 ml of mercury. The amount of mercury that would be released in the process of burning coal to provide the extra power to use an incandescent is about 12 ml. So even if the bulb is thrown away, that is still 8 ml less mercury being released into the environment. If the CFL is properly recycled, virtually none of the mercury in the bulb will be released.

CFLs bulbs may be greener, but they introduce more poisons into the home when you replace incandescents with CFLs. Of course, even I have started to use CFLs, but I don't have little kids around the home.

I wonder if eventually we could have LED bulbs lighting our homes. I have seen them for outside security lighting.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    I won't/can't use CFLs at home since most can't be dimmed. On the other hand CCFL can be dimmed and last 4 times as long as CFLs. LEDs will be the best once the price comes down.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    The only comment I would wish to offer is that of someone who has had their life changed, forever, it seems, by mercury poisoning. I speak, not as a tech geek, an engineer, or an academic--but, as one who has suffered.

Whatever anyone, whether individuals or corporations, is willing to do to minimize the amount of mercury, and other toxic chemicals we are all exposed to in the environment--I applaud them.

Before my ordeal, I never looked at food, water, soil, and air, as invaders and potential adversaries, but I do now.

Arguing over the amount of mercury, it seems to me, is a useless distraction. Rather, spend the energy encouraging all those have choice in the matter, to do better. As consumers, we must do all we can to hold them accountable.

And, with the energy that remains--spend it on compassion for those whom the environmental fallout has proven less than benign.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    To live2learn:

Thanks for your post.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by live2learn View Post

The only comment I would wish to offer is that of someone who has had their life changed, forever, it seems, by mercury poisoning. I speak, not as a tech geek, an engineer, or an academic--but, as one who has suffered.

By what method did you get mercury poisoning?
  • Reply 33 of 56
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    @live2learn

Thanks for having the presence of mind to remind everyone why this is important. It adds a dimension to the topic that is rarely touched on.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Of course! No one is in favor of mercury usage! It's a well-known toxin. Clearly, it came down to dollars vs. damages when the engineering went into these things originally. Ridding displays of mercury will be a welcome, overdue change.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    Quote:

Of course! No one is in favor of mercury usage! It's a well-known toxin. Clearly, it came down to dollars vs. damages when the engineering went into these things originally. Ridding displays of mercury will be a welcome, overdue change.

Exactly. Which is why I do my part to rid homes I visit of harmful mercury thermometers by dumping the mercury down the drain where it can't hurt anyone.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:

Mercury is awesomeness in every way, I beg to differ. Steel floats on it. It tells you what your body temperature is. It makes an awesome fluid electrical contact in my thermostat.

STELL FLOATS on it. if that ain't a party, I don't know what is.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Exactly. Which is why I do my part to rid homes I visit of harmful mercury thermometers by dumping the mercury down the drain where it can't hurt anyone.

... ...
  • Reply 38 of 56
    Hopefully they'll finally solve the "white spot" issues back from as early as the Powerbook days. I've got some on my MBP that i'll be turning over to Apple through Applecare shortly.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

"All of its displays by the end of 2008" would lead me to believe that we might actually see a Cinema Display upgrade soon. Hell it's way overdue.

Nope..read carefully :

"Apple plans for all of its MacBooks to use LED-backlit displays by 2009"

So what about CinemaDisplays?

"Our ability to completely eliminate fluorescent lamps in ALL of our displays depends on how fast the LCD industry can transition to LED backlighting for larger displays."

IE: Once the industry can make 23-30" LED displays for roughly the same price as the CinemaDisplays are, then Apple will switch. Currently, large LED displays are front page CES fodder...costing a ton more than regular ones.

I bet new cinemadisplays in 2009-1010 some time. Basically, wait until most other companys are primarily selling LED displays (dell, samsung, etc) and THEN apple will release their own.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    isomorphicisomorphic Posts: 199member
    Why is it that the LCD TV manufacturers are able to produce 40" 1080p LED-backlit TVs for a few hundred more than the 30" Cinema Display? Are they cutting corners somewhere?

Gimme new Cinema Displays. Dammit.