Latest iPhone 2.0 beta adds geo-tagging to Camera photos

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new beta of Apple's iPhone Software v2.0 Update released privately to a select group of enterprise partners this week adds a few new preferences and the beginnings of geo-tagging support for the handset's Camera app.

People familiar with the release, reportedly labeled build 5A292g, say location-aware services such as "Maps" and "Camera" now ask the user's permission before transmitting data used to identify their current geographical location.

The addition as it applies to the Camera application is interesting in that it suggests Apple is actively working on adding support for geo-tagging photographs, those people say.

Essentially, geo-tagging is the process of adding geographical identification metadata to media files such as latitude and longitude coordinates -- or even names of places -- so that those files can later be referenced, searched, and grouped based on their origin.

In addition, Apple is also reported to have added a toggle under the iPhone's general preference pane that will allow users to enable/disable Location Services on a system-wide basis.

Although the new beta prompts users for permission to use Location Services in the Camera application, those people familiar with the software say it appears that location metadata is not yet embedded in new photographs.

iPhone Software 2.0 is due next month alongside the company's much-anticipated next-generation iPhone that will boast support for so-called 3G networks. However, it will also be made available for existing iPhone owners.

One of the most highly anticipated features of the software is the App Store, which will allow users to purchase a wide variety of native third-party applications that are currently under development for both generations of the touch-screen handset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 89
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    1472 songs in an 8GB iPhone?! Wow. No jazz or classical there.......
  • Reply 2 of 89
    Interesting that right smack in the middle of Washington DC, the signal strength is not exactly saturating is it?

I know it could be inside a building, but even with the (few) limitations of existing iPhone software - the coverage compared to Verizon is just awful, I don't care that much - but I sometimes still feel guilty about dumping Verizon - each time I feel I'm somewhere in the 'burbs - and get little or no signal
  • Reply 3 of 89
    b16a2b16a2 Posts: 2member
    Maybe I havent seen enough iphone beta test screenshots, but does anyone find it curious as to why the model number on the phone is obscured? Is it possible that its running on a beta 3G iphone, and they dont want to out the model number just yet? It looks kinda like it reads MA748A?

What do you guys think?
  • Reply 4 of 89
    ammoniadammoniad Posts: 7member
    Anan, keep in mind there are also 1,400 pictures on that iPhone, taking up space...

Seems to me geotagging photos would be pretty useless without GPS...
  • Reply 5 of 89
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AmmoniaD View Post

Anan, keep in mind there are also 1,400 pictures on that iPhone, taking up space....

I.e., the songs must be even shorter, nursery rhyme length....
  • Reply 6 of 89
    webfrassewebfrasse Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Guys, these screenshots might just be screen captures from the simulator in the SDK. I think they are...

/Mikael
  • Reply 7 of 89
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

Anan, keep in mind there are also 1,400 pictures on that iPhone, taking up space...

The triangulation system might be good enough for photos. If you were grouping by location, say a national park for example, being accurate to the tree stump might not matter that much. This assuming cell tower triangulation worked in that national park.
  • Reply 8 of 89
    fabsgwufabsgwu Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The triangulation system might be good enough for photos. If you were grouping by location, say a national park for example, being accurate to the tree stump might not matter that much. This assuming cell tower triangulation worked in that national park.

I agree, especially since having GPS turned on takes extra battery juice, and you have to have a clear line of sight to the sky to allow the receiver to 'see' 4 satellites that allow the phone to determine its location.
  • Reply 9 of 89
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Interesting that right smack in the middle of Washington DC, the signal strength is not exactly saturating is it?

I know it could be inside a building, but even with the (few) limitations of existing iPhone software - the coverage compared to Verizon is just awful, I don't care that much - but I sometimes still feel guilty about dumping Verizon - each time I feel I'm somewhere in the 'burbs - and get little or no signal

I don't mind a thread jack—I'm guilty of it myself from time to time—but usually there is a catalyst in the thread that warrants it. Where is this coming from? Did you post on the wrong thread?

Quote:

Not as accurate, but certainly not useless. If i were on vacation knowing the approximate location of snapshot could easily help me determine what part of a city I was in when I took it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post

Guys, these screenshots might just be screen captures from the simulator in the SDK. I think they are...

That or they are photoshopped version to give us a graphical representation of the new v2.0 beta code. Either way, we shouldn't be concerned with the media count.
  • Reply 10 of 89
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:

/Mikael

No, they most definitely are not.

This is because the Maps applications and Camera applications are not included in the SDK simulator.

Only the Contacts, Safari, Photos and Settings applications are on the iPhone simulator. I know, because I am looking at it right now, next to this window.
  • Reply 11 of 89
    momoemomoe Posts: 5member
    Quote:

Actually, I have 1234 songs (by chance), 5 20-minute TED videos, and 650+ photos on my 8GB, with 1.5 GB to spare. This includes SOME jazz, dub reggae, and acoustic live numbers by several singer/songwriters (e.g., Damian Rice, etc)... it just requires smart media management of a large, diverse iTunes Music Library (READ: Smart Playlists, with limits to song length, etc.)

momoe 
  • Reply 12 of 89
    Quote:

/Mikael

Quote:
    Originally Posted by b16a2 View Post

Maybe I havent seen enough iphone beta test screenshots, but does anyone find it curious as to why the model number on the phone is obscured? Is it possible that its running on a beta 3G iphone, and they dont want to out the model number just yet? It looks kinda like it reads MA748A?

What do you guys think?

Why is the model number obscured? Because Apple tracks each and every iPhone by serial number and UDID (user device ID) and they are tied together in the user account.

If the Serial number is shown, they know who the iPhone or iPod touch that is running the beta software belongs to.

They would be prosecuted for breach of NDA.
  • Reply 13 of 89
    b16a2b16a2 Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Why is the model number obscured? Because Apple tracks each and every iPhone by serial number and UDID (user device ID) and they are tied together in the user account.

If the Serial number is shown, they know who the iPhone or iPod touch that is running the beta software belongs to.

They would be prosecuted for breach of NDA.

The serial number being obscured I understand, however both the serial and model number are obscured. My curiosity was regarding the model number, not the serial number.
  • Reply 14 of 89
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not as accurate, but certainly not useless. If i were on vacation knowing the approximate location of snapshot could easily help me determine what part of a city I was in when I took it.

I have never not known where I took a photo. Even a week or two or three later I always know. I mean, I was there. I took the photo. The pictures are downloaded in chronological order. You guys must smoke a lot of weed.
  • Reply 15 of 89
    schmidm77schmidm77 Posts: 223member
    All this is nice, but I really just want to be able to view MMS messages without having to log into a website.
  • Reply 16 of 89
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

Yeah, or someone really likes highly compressed, low bit rate, pop music.

I have almost the same number of songs taking up twice as much space on a 16 Gig.
  • Reply 17 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmidm77 View Post

All this is nice, but I really just want to be able to view MMS messages without having to log into a website.

How often do you use MMS? I never use it, not least because it eats up 4 sms credits. It's such dead technology that I am surprised there's any noise about this at all.

Thoughts?
  • Reply 18 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I have never not known where I took a photo. Even a week or two or three later I always know. I mean, I was there. I took the photo. The pictures are downloaded in chronological order. You guys must smoke a lot of weed.

I take a lot of photos and I often don't remember the area the area I took them. As time passes I may not even recall with city that was in. I'm usually not taking pictures of skylines or streetsigns so the recall can be tough.

And no, I don't smoke weed, though there is nothing wrong with those that do. Still, this won't help me as I use a real camera and it doesn't have GPS or BT to pair with a GPS to create metadata. But that would be damn cool if it did.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmidm77 View Post

Or at least have it supply a an inclusive hyperlink so you aren't having to remember the cryptic username and password.
  • Reply 19 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allstaruk View Post

How often do you use MMS? I never use it, not least because it eats up 4 sms credits. It's such dead technology that I am surprised there's any noise about this at all.

Thoughts?

Oh no! You are about to feel the wrath from the EU sector who still use it and SMS heavily.
  • Reply 20 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b16a2 View Post

The serial number being obscured I understand, however both the serial and model number are obscured. My curiosity was regarding the model number, not the serial number.

that would probably have to to with the UDID also incorporating model numbers, so someone messing with it just to make sure its impossible to phone can be identified.