Latest iPhone 2.0 beta adds geo-tagging to Camera photos

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allstaruk View Post

How often do you use MMS? I never use it, not least because it eats up 4 sms credits. It's such dead technology that I am surprised there's any noise about this at all.

Thoughts?

I agree with you. SMS and MMS are so early-2000s. But, for people with only basic functionality on their mobile phones, I suppose it is still necessary.
  • Reply 22 of 89
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

..... so-called 3G networks.

What does this statement mean exactly? There are no 3G networks or there is doubt about their existence?
  • Reply 23 of 89
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

What does this statement mean exactly? There are no 3G networks or there is doubt about their existence?

I think you are reading into it too much. As you are aware, "3G" is a generic naming convention that states absolutely nothing specific about the network architecture or data rate. I think 3G is just referring to the definition that so-called is "used to show that something or someone is commonly designated by the name or term specified."
  • Reply 24 of 89
    csimmonscsimmons Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Oh no! You are about to feel the wrath from the EU sector who still use it and SMS heavily.

Actually, MMS is not so widely used in Europe as some of the EU posters here would have you believe.

In fact, in many countries in the EU stuff like 3G (UMTS) just within the last 2 years or so got down to a price point to where using it actually made sense to use. I know that here in Germany, all of the telecoms had to drastically reduce their 3G rates, because people simply weren't using it.
  • Reply 25 of 89
    Quote:

I think you are reading into it too much. As you are aware, "3G" is a generic naming convention that states absolutely nothing specific about the network architecture or data rate. I think 3G is just referring to the definition that so-called is "used to show that something or someone is commonly designated by the name or term specified."

Sounds good to me. Okay.

Thanks
  • Reply 26 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

Actually, MMS is not so widely used in Europe as some of the EU posters here would have you believe.

In fact, in many countries in the EU stuff like 3G (UMTS) just within the last 2 years or so got down to a price point to where using it actually made sense to use. I know that here in Germany, all of the telecoms had to drastically reduce their 3G rates, because people simply weren't using it.

MMS & SMS don't need a 3G network to operate, they run through the standard GSM networks. The problem I have always had, especially now that all-you-can-eat data tariffs are ubiquitous, is that why pay for an sms or mms when you can achieve the same results with email?
  • Reply 27 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

True enough. Even here in Finland which is arguably very advanced, MMS has not taken off with a big bang. We did use it to purchase our apartment though. Other than that, I have not used it. Email and VoIP are the big hits here. Some vid conferencing as well, but no very much.

As far as actual 3G usage, the operators here had to start "all you can eat" plans for reasonable prices (14€ gets you guaranteed 1 meg) 5€ for the basic plan before people started to really jump in it. Hell, we enabled all of the embassy phones with mobile data services (3G) because of the good rates.
  • Reply 28 of 89
    jashuejashue Posts: 16member
    Quote:

How often do you use MMS? I never use it, not least because it eats up 4 sms credits. It's such dead technology that I am surprised there's any noise about this at all.

Thoughts?

I never use it either-- because I can't.

And it's downright embarassing when someone sends me an MMS and I have to explain to them that I can't view it on my oh-so-advanced iPhone. I'd like to tell them, "just email it to me" but then I get that blank look on their faces.

Dead technology? Dying, perhaps. But not quite dead.

And to get this thread back on track-- I wouldn't be at all surprised if the upcoming iPhone didn't come with GPS. Why the hell not? So GPS eats battery life? Turn the feature off when ya don't need it!
  • Reply 29 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jashue View Post

And it's downright embarassing when someone sends me an MMS and I have to explain to them that I can't view it on my oh-so-advanced iPhone. I'd like to tell them, "just email it to me" but then I get that blank look on their faces.

And to get this thread back on track-- I wouldn't be at all surprised if the upcoming iPhone didn't come with GPS. Why the hell not? So GPS eats battery life? Turn the feature off when ya don't need it!

Good point. GPS would probably put the iPhone over the top. I have a Nokia N82 and use the GPS pretty often. If my iPhone had 3G (for VoIP) and GPS, I would be set. On my Nokia, I turn on the GPS when needed, and off when not. Pretty simple.
  • Reply 30 of 89
    junkiejunkie Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AmmoniaD View Post

Seems to me geotagging photos would be pretty useless without GPS...

Maybe the 2.0 iPhone supports onboard GPS.
  • Reply 31 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by junkie View Post

Maybe the 2.0 iPhone supports onboard GPS.

Hopefully they won't rely solely on A-GPS.
  • Reply 32 of 89
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I have never not known where I took a photo. Even a week or two or three later I always know. I mean, I was there. I took the photo. The pictures are downloaded in chronological order. You guys must smoke a lot of weed.

Haha ... not weed but good ale. Actually after filling a 2 GIG card on my Canon and having toured half of northern NH and Vermont, I would have loved to have been able to ask Aperture to sort by a location. Having said that the sort by event worked pretty well.
  • Reply 33 of 89
    Quote:

MMS & SMS don't need a 3G network to operate, they run through the standard GSM networks. The problem I have always had, especially now that all-you-can-eat data tariffs are ubiquitous, is that why pay for an sms or mms when you can achieve the same results with email?

There is a now a class action lawsuit against US carriers for that very thing. 1MB of SMS data averages nearly $1000 if you make out the character usage each time. The Hubble telescope costs only $40 to send 1MB.

The outrageous cost of SMS/MMs among carriers who offer much cheaper rates for unlimited data could be construed as an oligopoly.

Quote:

What carrier do you have? AT&T will send you an SMS with a weblink and cryptic username and password to retrieve your MMS. I real pain in the ass, so I never look at them.
  • Reply 34 of 89
    Quote:

There is a now a class action lawsuit against US carriers for that very thing. 1MB of SMS data averages nearly $1000 if you make out the character usage each time. The Hubble telescope costs only $40 to send 1MB.

The outrageous cost of SMS/MMs among carriers who offer much cheaper rates for unlimited data could be construed as an oligopoly.

What carrier do you have? AT&T will send you an SMS with a weblink and cryptic username and password to retrieve your MMS. I real pain in the ass, so I never look at them.

Do you have a link to this? This is funny as hell that the operators are getting class actioned. About time. SMS's for the most part are free to send as they are sent in the D-Channel. Anyway, the operators here use the same technique to retrieve MMS's as well. A royal pain in the ass.
  • Reply 35 of 89
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I have never not known where I took a photo. Even a week or two or three later I always know. I mean, I was there. I took the photo. The pictures are downloaded in chronological order. You guys must smoke a lot of weed.

Even a week or three later! You must have an amazing memory!

What about 10 years later?
  • Reply 36 of 89
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Maybe the iPhone will support GPS, even the current model. This can be achieved by iPhone Mac OS X software update which allow you to attach (using bluetooth) a GPS antenna.

Quote:

Thoughts?

Actually I have seen some third party MMS applications (for Jailbroken iPhones). I think we will see MMS Applications in the App Store when released.
  • Reply 37 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Do you have a link to this? This is funny as hell that the operators are getting class actioned. About time. SMS's for the most part are free to send as they are sent in the D-Channel. Anyway, the operators here use the same technique to retrieve MMS's as well. A royal pain in the ass.

Oops, it appears I have misinterpreted the lawsuit by combining it with a recent comparison of the SMS data cahrges Apparently it about the US carriers trying to get extra SMS charges out of you, not the high price of the charges themselves. That seems to be the wrong end of the stick to shake at them.
  • Reply 38 of 89
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

1472 songs in an 8GB iPhone?! Wow. No jazz or classical there.......

Isn't a jazz track equivalent to an album anyway?
  • Reply 39 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Maybe the iPhone will support GPS, even the current model. This can be achieved by iPhone Mac OS X software update which allow you to attach (using bluetooth) a GPS antenna.

Not unless Apple is working directly with a company. So far the SDK has no BT support.

Quote:

Actually I have seen some third party MMS applications (for Jailbroken iPhones). I think we will see MMS Applications in the App Store when released.

I'd expect that we will if Apple doesn't add this feature. It makes no sense to me why it hasn't been added and why I can't email a pic in any resolution I see fit (though i guess that may be a stupid requirement of AT&T to cut down on data usage, which I doubt makes any real impact).
  • Reply 40 of 89
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Even a week or three later! You must have an amazing memory!

What about 10 years later?

That, and say you take a picture on the highway, which could be anywhere. Coordinates might be helpful. What would be even more helpful is a way to click the coordinates and have it jump you over to Google Maps.