Latest iPhone 2.0 beta adds geo-tagging to Camera photos

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not unless Apple is working directly with a company. So far the SDK has no BT support.

It will be a disappointment if Apple don't open up the bluetooth. I never used it because I really don't like the bluetooth headsets anyway.

Quote:

I'd expect that we will if Apple doesn't add this feature. It makes no sense to me why it hasn't been added and why I can't email a pic in any resolution I see fit (though i guess that may be a stupid requirement of AT&T to cut down on data usage, which I doubt makes any real impact).

Don't forget no multi-photo email. If you need to email two pictures then you have to do two emails \
  • Reply 42 of 89
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Oops, it appears I have misinterpreted the lawsuit by combining it with a recent comparison of the SMS data cahrges Apparently it about the US carriers trying to get extra SMS charges out of you, not the high price of the charges themselves. That seems to be the wrong end of the stick to shake at them.

I think at least some of those are valid lawsuits. I'd love to turn off SMS because I don't want it, I'm charged for it and it's most often junk anyway. I've even been SMS-spammed by my carrier a couple times and they charged me for the ad!
  • Reply 43 of 89
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:

Not unless Apple is working directly with a company. So far the SDK has no BT support.

I'd expect that we will if Apple doesn't add this feature. It makes no sense to me why it hasn't been added and why I can't email a pic in any resolution I see fit (though i guess that may be a stupid requirement of AT&T to cut down on data usage, which I doubt makes any real impact).

If you are talking about the resolution size in an MMS, I think there is a max of 300kb that can be sent. Other operators may have less. About a year or 2 years ago, some phones that were branded had restriction sizes on the allowable MMS that could be sent. Damn, I'm trying to remember where I saw this. It may be on Esato or one of the SE sites.
  • Reply 44 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think at least some of those are valid lawsuits. I'd love to turn off SMS because I don't want it, I'm charged for it and it's most often junk anyway. I've even been SMS-spammed by my carrier a couple times and they charged me for the ad!

Are you serious? I have never heard of this. Wow. Over here we pay to send them, not receive them. Some operators in cooperation with some venders have tried to "test" the waters with Ad SMS's. People are losing their collective minds about this.
  • Reply 45 of 89
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

If you are talking about the resolution size in an MMS, I think there is a max of 300kb that can be sent. Other operators may have less. About a year or 2 years ago, some phones that were branded had restriction sizes on the allowable MMS that could be sent. Damn, I'm trying to remember where I saw this. It may be on Esato or one of the SE sites.

I'm talkng about emailing a pic taken from the iPhone's camera. The image is reduced to a smaller size and attached to the email. There is no option to send it at the full 2MP resolution and, as stated by NasserAE, no option to attach multiple photos.

Quote:

Are you serious? I have never heard of this. Wow. Over here we pay to send them, not receive them. Some operators in cooperation with some venders have tried to "test" the waters with Ad SMS's. People are losing their collective minds about this.

Don't forget, we also pay for incoming calls here in the States.
  • Reply 46 of 89
    Quote:

I'm talkng about emailing a pic taken from the iPhone's camera. The image is reduced to a smaller size and attached to the email. There is no option to send it at the full 2MP resolution and, as stated by NasserAE, no option to attach multiple photos.

This does truly suck. I think, in the Installer (for the jailbroken amongst us), there might be a mail enhancer that allows this. I will check this out. If it is there, then Apple should really include this as this is a basic feature that ALL phones have.

Quote:

Don't forget, we also pay for incoming calls here in the States.

This is the craziest thing I have ever heard of until I went to Kuwait. They charge you almost for even looking at your phone. I thought the US was a bit behind but the ME and Gulf are truly behind when it comes to billing practices.
  • Reply 47 of 89
    Quote:

This does truly suck. I think, in the Installer (for the jailbroken amongst us), there might be a mail enhancer that allows this. I will check this out. If it is there, then Apple should really include this as this is a basic feature that ALL phones have.

They have posted several opening for jobs which seem geared to offer options. If Apple doesn't a 3rd part app should be able to do it. I expect to see apps that will allow you to do all sorts of editing to the photos while on the iPhone. As an example, anyone who uses Facebook can check out Picnik to see the editing I'm expecting. The power, the OS and the display should make the iPhone an easy mark for these types of apps.

Quote:

This is the craziest thing I have ever heard of until I went to Kuwait. They charge you almost for even looking at your phone. I thought the US was a bit behind but the ME and Gulf are truly behind when it comes to billing practices.

If one carrier breaks from it in the states then we'll probably see all the others break from it to quite quickly. Recently, we had unlimited/unlimited data prices fall almost at once, and a few years back we had mobile-to-mobile [to the same carrier network] not account your minutes become pretty standard.
  • Reply 48 of 89
    Quote:

Hopefully they won't rely solely on A-GPS.

You do realise that A-GPS is better than just GPS? GPS solely uses the sats to get a lock. A-GPS can solely use the sats to get a lock if required but the advantage is that it downloads a tiny bit of data over the Internet first to get the present locations of the sats. Then when the GPS goes to lock on it locks much quicker because it knows where to look.

The data downloaded is a couple of Kb's normally. Nothing to worry about. I'd much prefer that to get a quick fix.

Nokia added it to the N95 after release. It's GPS was so weak it could take minutes to get a lock until the A-GPS update came out. Then it locked on much much quicker.
  • Reply 49 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post

You do realise that A-GPS is better than just GPS? GPS solely uses the sats to get a lock. A-GPS can solely use the sats to get a lock if required but the advantage is that it downloads a tiny bit of data over the Internet first to get the present locations of the sats. Then when the GPS goes to lock on it locks much quicker because it knows where to look.

The data downloaded is a couple of Kb's normally. Nothing to worry about. I'd much prefer that to get a quick fix.

Nokia added it to the N95 after release. It's GPS was so weak it could take minutes to get a lock until the A-GPS update came out. Then it locked on much much quicker.

You are correct. I was more talking about using only base stations and wifi to pretend to be "real" GPS. I had one of those N95's with the antennae under the keyboard. Stupid idea. Once A-GPS was added the acquisition was much, much faster. In fact, I think Tom Tom uses something similar where you can download tiny files to your device via your PC (my case MBP), which adds with faster TTFF acquisition.
  • Reply 50 of 89
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Isn't a jazz track equivalent to an album anyway?

Here are a couple of my favorites in my iPhone:

"My Favorite Things," John Coltrane, 10:33

"In a Silent Way," Miles Davis, 19:54

"What Need Have I For This, What Need Have I For That, I am Dancing At the Feet of My Lord; All Is Bliss, All Is Bliss," Shakti w/John McLaughlin, 37:04
  • Reply 51 of 89
    Damn.. I hate to give two good posts in as many days.. but...I can't resist.

This was a request from two sales force automation companies. While users can dream up reasons you might want this (like photos taken in the national forest etc as mentioned above) the primary use of this has to do with sales marketing.

I don't want to get to specific but the general idea is this... a realtor sees a run down house and snaps a photo. Their prospecting software gets the first house photo, location info including address on the mailbox or storefront and a new lead is now generated.

By extension.... a large direct door to door sales organization.. (like GIRLSCOUTS dang.. I let that one out of the bag) can aggregate up photos of their many customers making it easier to re-deliver to their residence and to nationally track the geographic of prospects.

Company after company has uses for this information.. but most notably.. one which has made their fortune on Salesforce automation. They are the ones who drove the feature request.. which they will be using in a thick client to be released in July via the iTunes site.

Okay.. that being said.. I'm going to shut up now and not post for about... the rest of my life.
  • Reply 52 of 89
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    2.0 is intended for 1st and 2nd generation iPhones. Even if the new iPhone has GPS, the geo tagging feature would be designed to also work with the 1st gen iPhones and be "good enough". Apple's position is the 1st gen location services are good enough, therefore their geo tagging would also be considered by them as good enough. In either case, it makes uploading to Flikr already tagged awesome!
  • Reply 53 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Here are a couple of my favorites in my iPhone:

"My Favorite Things," John Coltrane, 10:33

"In a Silent Way," Miles Davis, 19:54

"What Need Have I For This, What Need Have I For That, I am Dancing At the Feet of My Lord; All Is Bliss, All Is Bliss," Shakti w/John McLaughlin, 37:04

There is a new service available that has free classical music that can be downloaded. You can edit the pages like Wikipedia with a free account. Audio is in 256kbps Mp3s and has the meta data in the correct place.
  • Reply 54 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not Unlike Myself View Post

I don't want to get to specific but the general idea is this... a realtor sees a run down house and snaps a photo. Their prospecting software gets the first house photo, location info including address on the mailbox or storefront and a new lead is now generated.

Interesting usage. I wonder if Apple will create digital cameras again or work with companies that the camera (so the quality can be much higher) that can be paired via BT to the iPhone and automatically stamp the location on the digital camera's photos and videos. That would be a true;y good use of this for realtors as the iPhone's camera (regardless of the megapixels) will always substandard.

PS: The iPhone seems to be a great tool for realtors yet the MLS only works with IE 6 or higher. Even the new version going official next month requires IE. I've tried different User Agents and different browsers, including FF2 and 3 on the Mac and IE5.23 and they don't work. The page loads incorrectly. WTH! You'd think by now they'd at least try to function using FF. It doesn't even use ActiveX so it's just shoddy coding IMO. I've had to use CrossOver (WINE) with IE7 for a Mac switcher to get the app running but that is a paid app. Does anyone else have a solution that does not require VMWare, Parallels or BootCamp?
  • Reply 55 of 89
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

There is a new service available that has free classical music that can be downloaded. You can edit the pages like Wikipedia with a free account. Audio is in 256kbps Mp3s and has the meta data in the correct place.

Very nice!

But too bad they don't have any jazz...... \
  • Reply 56 of 89
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:

yet the MLS only works with IE 6 or higher. Even the new version going official next month requires IE. I've tried different User Agents ... WTH! You'd think by now they'd at least try to function using FF.

Were you actually surprised? Oh, I know, you just forgot the smileys.
  • Reply 57 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Very nice!

But too bad they don't have any jazz...... \

Eventually their might as new music becomes public domain. I might even see Elvis songs become public domain in my lifetime.
    A song that is notoriously expensive is "Happy Birthday To You" written by Patty and Mildred Hill. Mildren died in 1916 and Patty in 1946 so the sheet music will be public domain in 2016 as it is 70s past the last author's death. It's for this reason they sang "For He's A Jolly Good Fellow" in The Godfather.
  • Reply 58 of 89
    allstarukallstaruk Posts: 20member
    Does anyone else get the sinking feeling that the iPhone 3G will not support true GPS and will instead take advantage of location based services (triangulation)?
  • Reply 59 of 89
    allstarukallstaruk Posts: 20member
    I mean, I take the point that on holiday, a rough LSB reference (you are in Paris, France) may be enough to tag a photo and jolt a memory. But for geo-tagging to really take off, you need to say that this picture is on the corner of Westminster and Bank (London) and here is the latest billboard campaign (for example).

Essentially geo-tagging needs to be to-the-meter accurate for it to be truly useful.

IMO, thoughts?
  • Reply 60 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allstaruk View Post

Does anyone else get the sinking feeling that the iPhone 3G will not support true GPS and will instead take advantage of location based services (triangulation)?

Yes. If I were Apple and had only one cell phone to cell I'd not include it. Here's why:
    1. GPS sucks a battery when in use so it's time of use is limited

2. Adds additional cost and size for a feature that I think is more for adding to spec sheet than anything else

3. The Google Maps location finder is accurate enough as a starting points

4. It allows Apple to ad GPS next year when the other major changes will be Flash capacity

(I know a lot of you are glad I don't work for Apple )