New Mighty Mouse

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

The MM is junk, the only mouse that was worse, was the hockey puck mouse that came with the original iMac.

It's strange, that for all the UI things Apple does well, they've never made a great mouse - always style over substance. Real mice come from Logitech and Microsoft, Apple should just stop and outsource a design from one of those two.

My current mouse, is a Logitech V270 (Bluetooth), that I use with both my PCs and Mac. It just works.

I definitely agree with you on Apple and the mouse issue. I do like my black Apple Pro Mouse that came with my G4 466DA, but even it lacks any versatility. I get tired of having to use 2 hands just to operate my mouse effectively. Mouse making is something that Microsoft definitely does better than Apple.
  • Reply 42 of 62
  • Reply 43 of 62
    isomorphicisomorphic Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

This is what we would call not-isomorphic, right?

Actually, I call it a pain in the arse, but it's also non-isomorphic.
  • Reply 44 of 62
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FOXPhotog View Post

I guess I'm the only one who actually likes the Mighty Mouse. For video editing I just love it. I wish we had them at work...

FOXPhotog

I love the mighty mouse as well. The 360 scrolling and the side squeeze buttons with expose is really nice.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

Virtually every third time I "right-clicked," the mouse would misinterpret it as a left-click.

That's because unlike other mouses, the mighty mouse determines which side you are clicking on by the touch-sensitive shell of the mouse. It's a little different at first but it's very easy to get used to. You simply have to left your right finder when you want to left click and leave both fingers down otherwise.
  • Reply 45 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The not-so-mighty Mouse is Apple's worst ergonomic device ever.

I have replaced mine twice and the ball still stops working intermittently. It's Jobs' worst failure in hardware.

My mighty mouses scroll ball used to stop working intermittently and I had trouble getting it to start working again. That was until, I learned the one sure-fire tip to cleaning your might mouse's scroll ball:

1) Take a sheet of plain white printer paper and put it on a hard flat surface.

2) Turn your mighty mouse over and rub/scroll the scroll ball against the paper vigorously.

You should visibly see dirt on the paper and the might mouse should be working perfectly again.

This procedure has always worked extremely well at cleaning my mighty mouse.
  • Reply 46 of 62
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

My mighty mouses scroll ball used to stop working intermittently and I had trouble getting it to start working again. That was until, I learned the one sure-fire tip to cleaning your might mouse's scroll ball:

2) Turn your mighty mouse over and rub/scroll the scroll ball against the paper vigorously.

You should visibly see dirt on the paper and the might mouse should be working perfectly again.

I'll be damned, that does work.
  • Reply 47 of 62
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    ^ most annoying feature of mighty mouse

I like the MM. Simple, but its comfortable (to me). I'd like to see a wireless version that has a lithium battery (similar to an ipod) and could be phantom charged through a removable USB cord (also like an ipod). that way it could be a corded, or a cordless mouse, and the battery should last quite a while.

beyond that, upgrading to aluminum seems silly, but a start white mouse with all aluminum set up might be weird. It certainly would be better for the environment though.

The price could come down a bit, however, for the amount they offer you (though, with the battery i suppose it could stay where it is, or even rise slightly)
  • Reply 48 of 62
    lugesmlugesm Posts: 12member
    FOXPhotog -

You are not alone. I have owned multiple devices with both PC and Mac, and I like this little mouse. Maybe I'm just too dumb to know any better. :-)
  • Reply 49 of 62
    cowasakicowasaki Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

What could they possibly add to such perfection?

They could make it more reliable ! Mine is forever failing to right click and requires the ball cleaning too often. I use it for hours a day and they just don't last. Best mouse I have EVER used though !
  • Reply 50 of 62
    cowasakicowasaki Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

If this does not work (but it usually does!) the next level of repair is invert it, press the ball in a little and squirt compressed air into the hole. This has resurrected a couple of dead mice for me when the above doesn't fix it!
  • Reply 51 of 62
    how about a scroll ball that is a little bigger and to make it work in the air like the logitech one
  • Reply 52 of 62
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    would a mini trackpad where the ball was work?

Could sense unidirectionally where your middle finger was moving, and then make it a button to keep the dashboard capability.
  • Reply 53 of 62
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Could sense unidirectionally where your middle finger was moving, and then make it a button to keep the dashboard capability.

Beat me to it...I think that might work...the only issue is the horizontal movement possibly...but this is exactly what I was envisioning as well...
  • Reply 54 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Beat me to it...I think that might work...the only issue is the horizontal movement possibly...but this is exactly what I was envisioning as well...

Maybe but it'd have to be smoother like the ipod touch click wheel. It's difficult to slide your finger across the current shell.
  • Reply 55 of 62
    silviarsilviar Posts: 19member
    My biggest complaint with the "Mighty Mouse" is that it's uncomfortable for me to use. I don't know if it's because I'm a girl and have small hands, but you'd think someone in the design department would concede defeat and make the mouse more similar to, say, popular Logitech models. Maybe the mouse Overboss is a dick, 65 years old and unwilling to retire, so they have to suffer with his insistence until retirement.

And gamers have a right to complain as much as anyone else about the design. It is the only mouse I've found, out of the computer box, that seriously inhibits gaming. Having said that, most serious gamers don't use any standard peripherals anyways - they usually go for gaming-specific items to boost their response time while playing.
  • Reply 56 of 62
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i have the most trouble doing a "click and drag" which is a standard apple thing and it's crappy
  • Reply 57 of 62
    blingemblingem Posts: 94member
    The Might Mouse Killer: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi...3287&cl=us,en#

It comes it white, too. And it's $20 cheaper
  • Reply 58 of 62
    yvonyvon Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blingem View Post

The Might Mouse Killer: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mi...3287&cl=us,en#

It comes it white, too. And it's $20 cheaper

is it a full size mouse or it's a small one?
  • Reply 59 of 62
    blingemblingem Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yvon View Post

is it a full size mouse or it's a small one?

It is smaller, but not by much. I've seen like uber mini laptop mice, but this is designated as a "laptop mouse" but I only use it when I want my computer to feel like less of a laptop. It's accurate, quick and it comes in a little travel bag, and comes with batteries. Logitech fanboy here...
  • Reply 60 of 62
    The mighty mouse is a chore to get used to, but once you get used to it, it's no different then any other mouse. I actually have some random logitech cordless mouse & keyboard, but my mother has a MM attatched to her iMac, and she gets along fine with it.

As for games, set whatever would be the secondary click, (zoom, grenade, whatever) to the squeeze button, and it seems to feel more natural that way.

I personally never had a problem with the puck mouse, and I still use one with my laptop from time to time. It's small, I never worry about it getting lost, broken or stolen, since it's so cheap, and it has no effect on my battery life, where a newer laptop mouse has a noticeable effect. (~10 mins or so)

Also, I must say, why does it seem that alot of people want a back or forward button on their mouse?? Only one person I know uses a back button on their mouse. It seems like a waste of a button. just use the backspace key on your keyboard.