Sydney store banner; Apple solar LCD patent; Mississippi store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has filed for a patent that would charge devices through solar panels behind their LCDs. Also, the company has put up a dramatic banner advertising its upcoming Sydney, Australia store, and Mississippi's first retail store is also confirmed as in the cards.

Sydney retail store given teasing banner

In what's quickly becoming a trend, Apple has once again posted a banner atop the glass front of an upcoming flagship retail store, ifo Apple Store reports.

Similar to the mock Green Monster used for the just-opened Boston store, the blue graphic above Apple's upcoming Sydney, Australia store conceals the final preparations for the design while also teasing with the prospect of an imminent opening: next to a swirl of blue iPod nanos, the only clue as to a doors-open date is a call to "drop in soon."

With the posting comes word of the cost to Apple for these publicity efforts. Every square foot of the plastic sheeting costs an estimated $10 to $12, resulting in $25,000 or more to advertise the store during the likely short-lived teaser campaign.

Located at the corner of George and King, the store promises to be both Australia's first official Apple store and its first flagship at the same time, spanning 14,370 square feet. A second store is planned for Melbourne.

Notably, both sources for ifo and other sites point to the first two Australian stores launching in June, potentially arriving in sync with an iPhone launch in the territory.

Apple files for solar screen technology patent

Part of Apple's wider greening efforts may one day include devices that often power themselves, according to a US patent filing found by Mac Rumors.

Rather than attempt to graft solar panels to the back of a given device or else make it larger, the technique would sandwich solar panels between the LCD and the circuit board. In this way, future Apple products could simply collect energy from the screen area itself and avoid impacting the aesthetics or the size of the product.

It would also shelter the panel from most forms of damage, the company says.

As is the case with patent applications, Apple hasn't yet been granted a patent and isn't under pressure to use the technology for a shipping product; the invention also faces technical hurdles such as ensuring that enough light reaches past the LCD to power the solar array.

Apple building, recruiting for first Mississippi store

Apple is quickly taking steps to expand its presence in the southern US with its first retail outlet in Mississippi.

The Clarion Ledger notes that aldermen in Ridgeland, near Jackson, have greenlit a proposed store for Renaissance at Colony Park, a new outdoors mall launched in March.

Simultaneously, both Apple's retail jobs page and a Renaissance page are already recruiting staffers for the location.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    So that is the 5th country now after US, Japan, UK and Canada (?). I'm surprised the Apple Stores are still expanding with the economy on the skids though...
  • Reply 2 of 13
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    YES! Australian Apple Stores!

Considering that we are such a small population, I am honoured that Melbourne, my home, and Sydney, right next door, are to be honoured with an Apple Store - considering that they are still rolling out in the US.

I sure hope the quality is up, and that it is reasonably good pricing to beat the crappy competition here in Melb.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

So that is the 5th country now after US, Japan, UK and Canada (?). I'm surprised the Apple Stores are still expanding with the economy on the skids though...

Yuppers, there is a few in Canada:

http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/

Use the drop down for locations. Also, there's one to open here in Edmonton, Alberta at WEM(West Edmonton Mall) on July 1st(Canada Day).

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...4-4e9bc67951ea

That's one damn big link. Hope it works.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

So that is the 5th country now after US, Japan, UK and Canada (?).

Italy also has one Apple Store, in Rome, which opened in 2007 and was the first in continental Europe.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I think this patent goes hand in hand with a previous Apple patent, the translucent LCD display.

When you put the two together, it tells me Apple Tablet.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

what better way to help the economy then expand? International stores will bring money into the county, and one built here create jobs, if businesses all had that attitude we'd be doomed.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antiorario View Post

Italy also has one Apple Store, in Rome, which opened in 2007 and was the first in continental Europe.

Absolutely no offense intended to Italy, or Canada, or Australia -- -- but I am surprised that they came ahead of Japan or France.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Arkansas will also be getting it's first Apple store at the new Promenade at Chenal Shopping Center in West Little Rock that is scheduled to open fully in the later part of 2008 with the IMAX theater and some other shops and restaurants opening up this summer. Apparently they have already secured plumbing permits and Apple has job listings for the Little Rock store on its website. I can't wait!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    silviarsilviar Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I think this patent goes hand in hand with a previous Apple patent, the translucent LCD display.

When you put the two together, it tells me Apple Tablet.

Oh man, I hope so. That'd be awesome. And one that regenerates itself to boot!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's high time Apple got a move on with its European stores. Say what you want, but they are snails about this. France's and Germany's yet to be opened Apple stores should be 2 years old by now. The potential for customers in both those countries is huge. The longer it takes the get stores in the places the more money Apple is throwing away.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Absolutely no offense intended to Italy, or Canada, or Australia -- -- but I am surprised that they came ahead of Japan or France.

Hey, I'm surprised too, considering that in Italy we have no Apple advertising whatsoever, not even for the iPod. I used to think it was a "lost" market, but maybe not...
  • Reply 12 of 13
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Hey if they can put one in Maine, they can put one anywhere

Skip
  • Reply 13 of 13
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I really don't get the idea of putting a solar panel behind the screen. The LCD blocks a lot of light. The darker the color, the more it blocks. I don't know if solar can be made to look white either, so that the screen still looks good. It has to absorb light in order to make electricity, white or reflective isn't absorbing light.