>>> EEE-like MacBook Air? >>>

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

The MacBook Air is beautiful, but too expensive for many (and, still, too big and heavy, for most mobile uses) so, following the Asus EEE trend, Apple could make a Smaller, Slimmer, Lighter and Cheaper MacBook Air with a 9" display, as explained in this article and shown in this image:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    silviarsilviar Posts: 19member
    There's not really any more to your "article" than what you posted on here. An article, I expect, should contain multiple paragraphs. Also, the multi-color fonts is annoying when you're trying to read it.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I read your site (which, I am sorry to say, sucks?) and I just gotta say?

How much smaller do you actually think a 16Gb SSD is from a 64GB SSD??!?

I would think they are still about the same size total overall package, and if there actually is any size difference, it would be so negligible as to make any 'extra' battery nearly useless.

Sorry dude, you fail?

• Reply 3 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

I would think they are still about the same size total overall package, and if there actually is any size difference, it would be so negligible as to make any 'extra' battery nearly useless.

Sorry dude, you fail?

Go easy.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Silviar View Post

There's not really any more to your "article" than what you posted on here. An article, I expect, should contain multiple paragraphs. Also, the multi-color fonts is annoying when you're trying to read it.

that's (simply) since I've posted great part of my article (and the "eeeAir" image) here and (also) since the "eeeAir" is only a concept of a (possible) new Apple product (so, only Apple can give you more specs, when and if will make such product)

however, in my article there are the basic specs of this (possible) new "eeeAir" and they are very important to define the end-user PRICE of the "AirLight"

one point missed in my article (and here) is the advantage a low cost "eeeAir" may give to Apple to enlarge its notebooks' market share, that since, an economy's law, say that, when the price of a product "falls to half", it's seeling "more than doubles"

• Reply 5 of 22
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:

Sorry dude, you fail?

Actually, you can cram flash drives into just about any space. This is an 8GB mini-PCIe drive, you can get 16GB in the same size. Of course, it's slow, as the actual interface is USB. That is the actual drive the EEEPC 8G uses, by the way.

But I think that an even smaller Macbook is highly unlikely.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

II would think they are still about the same size total overall package, and if there actually is any size difference, it would be so negligible as to make any 'extra' battery nearly useless.

probably, you're right talking of the suggested standard MBA add-on, but (surely) not for the "eeeAir" where the most important "cut" we can see from using a (standard) 16GB SSD is its PRICE

• Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

...the actual interface is USB. That is the actual drive the EEEPC 8G uses...

not sure (I'll verify) but (IIRC) both EEEPCs' SSDs don't use the USB interface

• Reply 8 of 22
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    The Keys are about 1/2 an inch thick. You cant type on that.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    fishyesquefishyesque Posts: 725member
    Yes you can. It's not THAT hard.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Trouble with this idea is that having a small screen was one of the flaws Steve Jobs specifically mentioned about other ultra-mobile designs.

The philosophy of the MBA is to be lightweight without compromising the performance and screen size of a standard laptop.

Suffice to say, it won't necessarily be cheaper just by making it smaller and the battery would have to be smaller.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Samnuva View Post

The Keys are about 1/2 an inch thick. You cant type on that.

if an EEE-like keyboard is too small... then, we should throw all Blackberry, Palm, etc. in a trash can...

however, the keyboard of the new "eeeAir" could be something like the old IBM ThinkPad 701 (that's the real EEE grandfather)

• Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Trouble with this idea is that having a small screen was one of the flaws Steve Jobs specifically mentioned about other ultra-mobile designs.

the EEE-like notebooks are a big success, then, it's the market that wants this kind of product

• Reply 13 of 22

or not... probably the real EEE "grandfather" was the Olivetti "Quaderno"

• Reply 14 of 22
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member
    The machine you really lust after isn't a cut down version of the macBook Air but the much rumoured MacBook Touch. Perhaps the best way to describe this is as fusion of the iPhone and and MBA into a machine with a footprint roughly inline with your suggestions. Since this is still very much in development, no one has any idea exactly how big, powerful and useful it will be. But Apple being Apple, I have every confidence that it will be the sub-notebook Newton replacement that everyone's gagging for. It could even arrive as soon as January 2009? let's hope so.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Firsty, go to college and take a short web-design course - your website manages to both suck and blow. Horrbile colours, awful backgrounds, and what's with all the coloured lettering? What a crock of horse$hit. Who the hell would pay you anything to advertise on that?! And payments via Western Union? Sounds secure, sign me up!

Secondly, the rumoured and certainly inbound 'tablet' Mac is the closest we'll see to a ULC (Ultra Low-Cost) Mac, and will almost certainly not come at the same pricing structure as the likes of the Asus EEEPc, MSI Wind or HP Mini-Note. Apple will not jump on this bandwagon.

Though the idea of picking up a functional Mac sub-notebook for £250 is appealing, it's never going to happen. At least not for a very long time.

The concern shouldn't be the amount of physical space the storage volume will require, we live in an age of 32GB USB flash memory sticks people! Okay they're slow. But you see the potential...
  • Reply 16 of 22
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gaetanomarano View Post

the EEE-like notebooks are a big success, then, it's the market that wants this kind of product

You could say the same about mid-range towers - Apple don't give people what they want though, they tell them what they think is better and expect you to jump.

Apple say that a bigger screen and more performance at the expense of ports, replaceable battery etc is a better compromise. If they make a smaller one, they would be admitting that a small screen is not a flaw, which Jobs said it was.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

The machine you really lust after isn't a cut down version of the macBook Air but the much rumoured MacBook Touch. Perhaps the best way to describe this is as fusion of the iPhone and and MBA into a machine with a footprint roughly inline with your suggestions. Since this is still very much in development, no one has any idea exactly how big, powerful and useful it will be. But Apple being Apple, I have every confidence that it will be the sub-notebook Newton replacement that everyone's gagging for. It could even arrive as soon as January 2009? let's hope so.

just add keyboard to the MB Touch... and you have an "eeeAir" the iPhone already is the true Newton, also, the rumored "iTouch" could be an Apple "eBook" like the Amazon's Kindle:

• Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ActionJaxon View Post

...take a short web-design course...

I can do it better, but I've not the time (not even to write all ideas and proposals I think, so...) however (surely) its "pop-art" like catch the attention

• Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Apple don't give people what they want though, they tell them what they think is better and expect you to jump.

yes, but, I'm sure they can agree, that, sell a MBA that fits most pockets (both as "dimensions" and/or "available cash") is not a bad idea

• Reply 20 of 22
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

The philosophy of the MBA is to be lightweight without compromising the performance and screen size of a standard laptop.

And because of that it's not that light either. It's just thin. I'm not really interested in performance or having a 13" screen or it being moderately light. It's the size of it that rules it out for me.

An Atom based 8.9" eeePC 900 style Apple laptop would be pretty much perfect for the light use I need a laptop for away from my desk. The MacBook Air is overkill and too expensive. The keyboard on the eeePC takes a little getting used to but it's perfectly adequate to peck out an email or a story on. It's not like you can't attach a full size keyboard either!

It wouldn't be the first time Jobs has out and out 'specifically mentioned' one of the features of the products Apple is selling you now whilst developing exactly what the other guys are doing. eg. flash based iPods...