Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.3 Update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 106
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Thank you Apple. I've been waiting a long time for this. I hope it fixes some of the problems I've been having.
  • Reply 22 of 106
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I wonder if it'll fix the hidden window bug in Adobe InDesign CS3?
  • Reply 23 of 106
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

Title and button bars in Safari and Mail are still illegibly dark. i still have to deselect the window I'm in so I can read the tabs in Safari. Why is it that the SELECTED window frame goes dark and the DESELECTED window frames go light? Why can't it be the other way around? Is there a way of fixing this?

Based on your "photoeditor" forum user name, can I assume you've calibrated your monitor and/or set it to the PC standard gamma of 2.2 vs Mac's normal 1.8 (I think I've got those numbers right)? I'll further guess that you may be using an LCD display?

Whenever I've used the Display system preference's built-in calibration tool the screen ends up darker and lower contrast. Likewise, one of the reason Windows always looks so drab (to me at least) is it's standard gamma setting which is darker than Mac's. Finally, LCDs, especially those on the lower-end models (MacBooks, 20" iMacs) can have reduced contrast if you aren't looking at them from the correct angle.

If you adjust the angle of your monitor and adjust the calibration settinsg in the Diplay preferences, you might be able to get a bit more contrast to make it easier to see the text on the tabs.
  • Reply 24 of 106
    schmidm77schmidm77 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Actually I notice no speed difference in anything except repairing disk permissions. 2.4ghz iMac.

People are still performing this repair permissions voodoo when they install updates?
  • Reply 25 of 106
    benindenbeninden Posts: 4member
    Software update via the apple menu pulls down only your mac's version.

My MBP was only 198mb
  • Reply 26 of 106
    lennylenny Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beninden View Post

Software update via the apple menu pulls down only your mac's version.

My MBP was only 198mb

That was the size of the update for my iMac but for my MacBook 4.1 the size was 420MB! Why is there such a difference?
  • Reply 27 of 106
    My MBP updated just fine, after 2 restarts. Software update downloaded the 198Mb.
  • Reply 28 of 106
    ebrunnebrunn Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Improves the accuracy of the Software Update progress bar indicator.

Thank god they fixed that.
  • Reply 29 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

is it just me or the overall colour is darkened since 10.5.3 update :s

nvm, i resolved it when i switched to "colour" in display preference and boom! the colour brightened

I see what you mean. I went back in to the display preferences and only the iMac colour profile was listed, clicked it and the colour profile changed back to 'normal'. It seems that Apple RGB was the closest to what it looked like after a reboot.

Very strange!
  • Reply 30 of 106
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmidm77 View Post

People are still performing this repair permissions voodoo when they install updates?

It would be unlikely that an Apple update package installer would wrongly set file permissions but a poorly designed third party installer might. You can always check to see if any of your permissions are wrong by using the verify permissions feature of Disk Utility.
  • Reply 31 of 106
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

is it just me or the overall colour is darkened since 10.5.3 update :s

nvm, i resolved it when i switched to "colour" in display preference and boom! the colour brightened

It says "colour" in Norway?

Our says "color."

• Reply 32 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hohlecow View Post

would you say that it feels snappier?

yayyyy! I was wondering who would be the first to say its snappier.

Thanks Apple for making it snappier!

Snappiness rules! Gimme snappy! Yummmmmmm. Snappy!
  • Reply 33 of 106
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

Steve said, "You're welcome."

You were thanking Steve; right?
  • Reply 34 of 106
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmidm77 View Post

I don't know who to believe on this issue. I was told by a so-called Genius to always perform permissions repairs after updates. It's a bit of arcana I'm not really sure anyone can answer.
  • Reply 35 of 106
    aussiaussi Posts: 18member
    Hey

I am new to the forums.

What do you mean with combo?

I have downloaded the new update from software update on my Imac, is this the same?

Aussi
  • Reply 36 of 106
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You're good.

The Combo updater is the Everything-And-The-Kitchen-Sink-For-All-Mac-Models massive package. It will update any Mac from 10.5, 10.5.1 or 10.5.2, to 10.5.3.

If you go through Software Update, it will go grab just the pieces needed for *your* model of Mac, to upgrade from whatever OS version *your* Mac is at.

Hence the different sizes reported.

Some people like to always use a Combo Update, since it can take care of possible errors in previous updates, but those are very rare. Let Software Update do its thing, and 99.99% of the time, it works just as it should.
  • Reply 37 of 106
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

What, you think if they find that it's not right they should just leave it?
  • Reply 38 of 106
    federmoosefedermoose Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lab View Post

Wifi still not working

I hate to say it, but when you have individual problems that don't occur on other peep's machines... it might be time to do a wipe and install of the OS.
  • Reply 39 of 106
    aussiaussi Posts: 18member
    Hey

alright, thanks for the details

my brother can't update to 10.5.2 so i think this will solve his problem.
  • Reply 40 of 106
    federmoosefedermoose Posts: 195member
    Anyone know if Front Row no longer freezes? that bug is killing my entertainment system...

EDIT: The bug is when you play music for about half an hour or so. You guys know what I'm talking about?