Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.3 Update

Comments

• Reply 41 of 106
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    It appears the ability to send SMS via the address book has returned, or I did not notice it in 10.5.2.
  • Reply 42 of 106
    A mere 420 megs on a G4, and that is not the combo! It is/was running 10.5.2.

• Reply 43 of 106
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Update:

=====

Mac OS X 10.5.3 Combo Update is now available as a stand alone updater of 536 MB, while the delta updater weigh in at 420MB.

See: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/
  • Reply 44 of 106
    ebrunnebrunn Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lab View Post

Wifi still not working

It fixed my wifi problems. When ever I put my AE on '"N only" I would drop the connection all the time. Seems to be working now.
  • Reply 45 of 106
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't know who to believe on this issue. I was told by a so-called Genius to always perform permissions repairs after updates. It's a bit of arcana I'm not really sure anyone can answer.

It is not often critical but one issue is that files that should be root write end up with user write privileges. This could be considered a security vulnerability. The inverse though could cause crashes if an application needs to write to a file that it does not have permission to. In either case it is a good thing to know if you have permission problems. Each installer is supposed to put a list of files and default permissions in the Library which is what Disk Utility reads when it verifies permissions.
  • Reply 46 of 106
    aussiaussi Posts: 18member
    It is good that apple keeps updating Leopard, my 24' Imac 2.8. GHz used to be slow these last few days , Iit was so annoying having to wait!

but since I updated to 10.5.3 its much faster now!

thanks Apple

can't wait for the new Iphone!
  • Reply 47 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lab View Post

Wifi still not working

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

It fixed my wifi problems. When ever I put my AE on '"N only" I would drop the connection all the time. Seems to be working now.

People who complain of WiFi problems usually have an issue with conflicting frequencies more than an issue with their drivers or HW. Have you run iStumbler to see how many other networks are all trying to use the same channel? I often see more tahn half the available routers on Channel 6, which I think is Linksys' default.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It is not often critical but one issue is that files that should be root write end up with user write privileges. This could be considered a security vulnerability. The inverse though could cause crashes if an application needs to write to a file that it does not have permission to. In either case it is a good thing to know if you have permission problems. Each installer is supposed to put a list of files and default permissions in the Library which is what Disk Utility reads when it verifies permissions.

I do it after an install, it doesn't take long and there are almost always permissions that need to be fixed.

What is disappointing is the SUID files that still appear and the excesive duration it takes to complete a permissions repair and Disk Verify in Leopard.
  • Reply 48 of 106
    ebrunnebrunn Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

People who complain of WiFi problems usually have an issue with conflicting frequencies more than an issue with their drivers or HW. Have you run iStumbler to see how many other networks are all trying to use the same channel? I often see more tahn half the available routers on Channel 6, which I think is Linksys' default.

Yeah, I did that when I first set up my Airport Extreme. My setup did work fine on the b/g compatible 2.4ghz option, but when you switch it 5ghz "N only" it would drop out alot. And it dosent give you the option to switch the channels when you have 5ghz "N only" selected. Just says "Automatic"
  • Reply 49 of 106
    Quote:

Yeah, I did that when I first set up my Airport Extreme. My setup did work fine on the b/g compatible 2.4ghz option, but when you switch it 5ghz "N only" it would drop out alot. And it dosent give you the option to switch the channels when you have 5ghz "N only" selected. Just says "Automatic"

Gotcha. And the b/g is where you're more likely to get the interference. That does seem like an issue with the driver. Have you tried other .11n computers or a different .11n router?
  • Reply 50 of 106
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What is disappointing is the SUID files that still appear and the excesive duration it takes to complete a permissions repair and Disk Verify in Leopard.

The bigger the disk/more files the longer it takes. It isn't Leopard because it takes a long time in Linux and Windows too. A fast machine doesn't help much because it is limited by disk read/write speeds not cpu.
  • Reply 51 of 106
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Check that the preferences are still enabled. Some reports filtering in of reset prefs.

Okay...that's odd... I was responding to MinkPod, whose post is after mine.
  • Reply 52 of 106
    minkpodminkpod Posts: 1member
    Just did the update on my Penryn MBP and my trackpad gestures no longer work. I can still 2 finger scroll but i cant pinch, rotate or swipe. Anyone else have this problem?
  • Reply 53 of 106
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MinkPod View Post

Just did the update on my Penryn MBP and my trackpad gestures no longer work. I can still 2 finger scroll but i cant pinch, rotate or swipe. Anyone else have this problem?

Did you double-check the trackpad preferences? There are separate settings for the 2-finger scroll and those other options. Maybe some got turned off. (Sorry if I'm pointing on the obvious, but thought I'd mention it just in case.)
  • Reply 54 of 106
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

How is your line of sight to the router? 5 GHz doesn't penetrate walls and other objects as well as 2.4 GHz will. Generally speaking, lower frequencies have better penetration through objects. Could also try turning off wide channels which should theoretically increase your range.
  • Reply 55 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The bigger the disk/more files the longer it takes. It isn't Leopard because it takes a long time in Linux and Windows too. A fast machine doesn't help much because it is limited by disk read/write speeds not cpu.

I wish it was an issue with having a larger disc. It's a 120GB MB HDD. It took considerably shorter time with Tiger and with the Leopard developer builds. I've even formatted to eliminate any issues from going from 10.5.0 developer to 10.5.0 retail. Still the same issue.
  • Reply 56 of 106
    allstarukallstaruk Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KnightoftheWord View Post

I can only hope and pray that it fixes Apple Mail issues for me and lots of other users in our company. Especially when sending attachments. Just had a problem before I came home today with a guy sending a bog standard email which simply would not send. He had made some of the text bold. I simply re-typed it and did not change any aspect of the font and it went but this sort of stuff has been ongoing for us for some time. Anyone else totally brassed off with Mail?

Just wondering...

Strange, I have had an impeccable record with Mail. One of the most stable, reliable mail clients out there. I work in an ad agency and often use Mail to send formatted, attached emails internally and externally and can't off hand recall a single failure...

I'm sure this varies immensely though.
  • Reply 57 of 106
    Quote:

Thank god they fixed that.

Well sometimes it is the little things that we may overlook to complain about that make all the difference when they're fixed.
  • Reply 58 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

Anyone know if Front Row no longer freezes? that bug is killing my entertainment system...

EDIT: The bug is when you play music for about half an hour or so. You guys know what I'm talking about?

On the topic of Front Row:

Has anyone noticed that after adding a movie / episode file to the movies folder, anything over 300mb, Front Row can sometimes take an age to load this file. I know Front Row uses QuickTime as the player and the same experience is had using the program in the OS, but if I load this in VLC, it loads almost instantly.

Apologies if this subject is covered elsewhere, I have yet to find a forum discussion..
  • Reply 59 of 106
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

mine said 198MB...is that bad?

hmm...

I had that on two (a G5 and a MacBook) and it would abort installation. Had to download the 420MB file from the Apple site manually since "Software Update" would always try to open the corrupted 198MB file.

Afterwards installation from that download was no problem.
  • Reply 60 of 106
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Software Update saves the downloaded package for installation until the installation is completed - you have to remove the corrupted package to force it to re-grab it. Not on a 10.5 machine at the moment to check, but I *think* it's in /Library/Caches/Software Update...