Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.3 Update

Comments

• Reply 61 of 106
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wish it was an issue with having a larger disc. It's a 120GB MB HDD. It took considerably shorter time with Tiger and with the Leopard developer builds. I've even formatted to eliminate any issues from going from 10.5.0 developer to 10.5.0 retail. Still the same issue.

Are you sure it's actually a problem and not taking longer because it's testing more things than before?

How often do you check and fix permissions? It's not the kind of thing you have to do often, if it takes a really long time just start it up before you go to bed.
  • Reply 62 of 106
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

You're good.

The Combo updater is the Everything-And-The-Kitchen-Sink-For-All-Mac-Models massive package. It will update any Mac from 10.5, 10.5.1 or 10.5.2, to 10.5.3.

If you go through Software Update, it will go grab just the pieces needed for *your* model of Mac, to upgrade from whatever OS version *your* Mac is at.

Hence the different sizes reported.

Some people like to always use a Combo Update, since it can take care of possible errors in previous updates, but those are very rare. Let Software Update do its thing, and 99.99% of the time, it works just as it should.

So, you're saying that one time in ten thousand, it won't work just as it should?
  • Reply 63 of 106
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

Title and button bars in Safari and Mail are still illegibly dark. i still have to deselect the window I'm in so I can read the tabs in Safari. Why is it that the SELECTED window frame goes dark and the DESELECTED window frames go light? Why can't it be the other way around? Is there a way of fixing this?

I suspect something's up with your screen. What display are you using? What is the brightness set to? Are you using the correct display profile?
  • Reply 64 of 106
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

So, you're saying that one time in ten thousand, it won't work just as it should?

How did I know that someone was going to pounce on that...

Substitute whatever number you wish that is suitable to convey the general message "The vast majority of the time, for the vast majority of people, it works, but it's not perfect." If part of you is unhappy with that number, recurse until you are, or you get tired of arguing with yourself.
  • Reply 65 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Are you sure it's actually a problem and not taking longer because it's testing more things than before?

How often do you check and fix permissions? It's not the kind of thing you have to do often, if it takes a really long time just start it up before you go to bed.

There is something else going on. I can run it again and the same thing will happen. It's not a big deal, just an occasional annoying hiccup.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Software Update saves the downloaded package for installation until the installation is completed - you have to remove the corrupted package to force it to re-grab it. Not on a 10.5 machine at the moment to check, but I *think* it's in /Library/Caches/Software Update...

I thought it was /Library/Receipts/boms/com.apple.pkg.update.os.10.5.3.bom, but that is just me guessing. When I look at the BOM with pacifist it looks like all the pieces that were just updated.
  • Reply 66 of 106
    saschkesaschke Posts: 67member
    i hope they have finally fixed the iTunes-coverflow related freezes which occur on newer MBPs.

Trying to make iTunes go nuts right now..
  • Reply 67 of 106
    thefazthefaz Posts: 1member
    Just installed the patch and low and behold, all of my past, present and future Entourage calendar appointments were duplicated.

That sucks!
  • Reply 68 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Everything feels snappier! Safari opens... Boom!

Actually I notice no speed difference in anything except repairing disk permissions. 2.4ghz iMac.

Maybe it's because my iMac is so blazingly fast that I will never notice a speed increase ever again.

Yeah I know the feeling. My MacBook is sooo blazing fast that I too will never notice a speed increase ever again.
  • Reply 69 of 106
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    I cant check right now, but has the Wine openGL linking issue been fixed.
  • Reply 70 of 106
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Just installed it and no problems for me......

No problems here either. It is nice to see Mail fixes but I'd like to see some feature adds. I also hoped Safari would have been updated too but since that's cross platform that all separate now.

Interesting to hear at D6 that Windows 7 will incorporate multi-touch in late 2009 (read 2012). I'm sure OSX 10.6 will incorporate the same thing. We'll hopefully find out in a few weeks what to expect.
  • Reply 71 of 106
    PowerBook 12inch 1.25GHz

after 10.5.3 update (via Software Update)

the display remains off when waking from sleep.

the sleep light goes off, and i can hear the HD and fan start, but the display stays blank.

sucks to be me. anyone else have similar issues?
  • Reply 72 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

No problems here either. It is nice to see Mail fixes but I'd like to see some feature adds. I also hoped Safari would have been updated too but since that's cross platform that all separate now.

Interesting to hear at D6 that Windows 7 will incorporate multi-touch in late 2009 (read 2012). I'm sure OSX 10.6 will incorporate the same thing. We'll hopefully find out in a few weeks what to expect.

MS has a much bigger uphill battle for multi-touch that Apple has, but I don't see the mouse being obsolesced anytime soon, at least not on a consumer level. As usual MS showcased empty fireworks.

I hope the next Safari update—for Mac and mobile OS X—includes the WebKit update that allows for faster loading of pages by using preloading.
    "The latest WebKit nightlies contain some new optimizations to reduce the impact of network latency. When script loading halts the main parser, we start up a side parser that goes through the rest of the HTML source to find more resources to load. We also prioritize resources so that scripts and stylesheets load before images. The overall effect is that we are now able to load more resources in parallel with scripts, including other scripts."
    For those not aware of the WebKit nightly builds, give it a try: http://webkit.org/

One of the things I like best is Full Page Zoom.
  • Reply 73 of 106
    ehogewegehogeweg Posts: 3member
    After the update Time Machine complains that the backup volume could not be mounted. I can browse the disk just fine with Finder though.

I can not enter the Time Machine either. I re-selected the drive with the Change Disk option, but as soon as I select Back Up Now, I get an error message:

[CENTER]Time Machine Error

The backup volume could not be mounted.

[/CENTER]

MBP - APE 802.11n + 350GB LaCie HD. worked just fine up until the upgrade :-(

This is a little disappointing...

Erwin
  • Reply 74 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

the sleep light goes off, and i can hear the HD and fan start, but the display stays blank.

sucks to be me. anyone else have similar issues?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ehogeweg View Post

After the update Time Machine complains that the backup volume could not be mounted. I can browse the disk just fine with Finder though.

Restart your machine and see if it still occurs.

If you have and it does, then grab the Combo Updater and try again.
  • Reply 75 of 106
    codymrcodymr Posts: 28member
    Since 10.4.x, Every time I update my Mac to the latest OS I get series of Sync conflicts with iCal and Entourage. Any idea how to get rid of them? I review them and choose the Entourage version of the event. Then when I open Entourage it has all of my calendar events in duplicate! It is a pain to delete them all and it happens every time I update OSX.
  • Reply 76 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by codymr View Post

Since 10.4.x, Every time I update my Mac to the latest OS I get series of Sync conflicts with iCal and Entourage. Any idea how to get rid of them? I review them and choose the Entourage version of the event. Then when I open Entourage it has all of my calendar events in duplicate! It is a pain to delete them all and it happens every time I update OSX.

A couple suggestions froma Google search:
  • Reply 77 of 106
    dtidmoredtidmore Posts: 145member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

But where oh where is 10.5.3 server?

When I logged onto my X-Serve using ARD, the update was awaiting my command to install. The upgrade worked without a hitch, but I did have to copy Remote Monitor from the server back to my MBP as the old version would instantly crash upon trying to connect to the server. Although the 10.5.2 versions of Remote Admin and Workgroup Manager seemed to work, the size did change, so I copied those over as well.

David
  • Reply 78 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dtidmore View Post

When I logged onto my X-Serve using ARD, the update was awaiting my command to install.

The Server update became available about 4 hours after his post.

There is also a RAW camera support and Security Update to grab tonight.
  • Reply 79 of 106
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Does anyone know if Apple is still maintaing the list of iSync compatible phones at http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/index.html? Supposedly they added a few new phones (Samsung, I think) with this update. But while the title of that page says "Mac OS X Leopard", the bottom of the page says, "Devices listed are compatible with iSync 2.4 (Mac OS X 10.4.9) and are subject to change." The version of iSync in Leopard is 3.0.

Is the list of phones on that page current? Does it include the phones added in 10.5.3?
  • Reply 80 of 106
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Installed from the Combo updater, and everything is working fine.... However, some of my settings have been reset, like ctrl+arrow for spaces shortcut, and spotlight is reindexing. Just a heads-up...